How to set correct time: GMT vs. Daylight Saving?

Post by Stephen C. Fitc » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I think I may have screwed up the time on my clock.
> How do I set it so that GMT is correct, bearing in mind that in Australia
> at present, we have daylight saving?

> My TIMEZONE file is set correctly to reflect Australia/EST

> If I use the date command to set GMT properly, I get the time less
> the extra hour of Daylight saving, so the local time is out.

> If I set the time according to my watch, I muck up GMT.

Have you tried the :

     -u           Display (or set) the  date  in  Greenwich  Mean
                 Time  (GMT-universal time), bypassing the normal
                 conversion to (or from) local time.

option on date(1). What run state do you attempt the change, not that it
could fudge the date/time change, it is only time transitions can harm
certain processes (database txns/audit trails & journals),

Steve

How to set correct time: GMT vs. Daylight Saving?

Post by Peter McCorma » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I think I may have screwed up the time on my clock.
>How do I set it so that GMT is correct, bearing in mind that in
Australia
>at present, we have daylight saving?

>My TIMEZONE file is set correctly to reflect Australia/EST

>If I use the date command to set GMT properly, I get the time less
>the extra hour of Daylight saving, so the local time is out.

>If I set the time according to my watch, I muck up GMT.

>How do I get the happy medium?

get the latest timezone file from a 2.5 system or from Munnari.
The problem is that the daylight savings rules have been changed.
It used to be that DST finished on the first Sunday in March.
Thats what all the timezone files on systems less than 2.5
assume.   DST now ends on the last Sunday in March.   Only 2.5
has it right.  The latest zoneinfo patches for other levels
still aren't correct.   It'll all be fixed when DST REALLY ends.
Quote:

>Lost in time

>Rachel

1. GMT and Daylight Saving

In SCO xenix and SCO unix 3.2.4 having installed the O/S for the UK and
set timezone to GMT, 0 hours and no daylight saving it is also necessary
to 'tune' the time kernel parameters to match. They are always set to 8
hours behind GMT and daylight savings apply.

Is there an equivalent procedure in SCO openserver 5.0.4? I can't find
it in the kernel parameters. Unfortunately I am using an old program
which will only give the correct time if these parameters are set, in
spite of the fact that the SCO clock is OK.

Regards

Roy Thomas.

2. Script programming

3. set timezone to prevent daylight saving time?

4. Wanted: True color pix-viewer

5. daylight saving date/time setting

6. Threads for 2.1R, alpha testers wanted

7. RedHat 3.0.3 GMT vs LOCAL CMOS time setting?

8. HP C++ compile vs g++

9. Tcsh cant find correct time in daylight savings...

10. Daylight Saving Time

11. Problems with daylight saving time

12. Help with Daylight saving time...

13. Changing to Daylight Saving TIme