My application wants more memory

Post by Bill Jame » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

OK, so we could just buy more RAM. However, on the offchance that I can
retrieve just enough memory to stop the program paging wildly, does
anyone have any tips? My biggest unknown is controlling the
kernel/buffering/cacheing memory allocation which I think accounts for a
fair amount of my 64Mb. I'm only getting 40% of that, an Xserver gets
some more, and there are some NFS daemons... I can't see any specific
recommendations for Solaris 2.5 in the FAQ.

Bill James
Laser-Scan Ltd,
Cambridge, UK.

My application wants more memory

Post by Andrew Gabri » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>OK, so we could just buy more RAM. However, on the offchance that I can
>retrieve just enough memory to stop the program paging wildly, does
>anyone have any tips? My biggest unknown is controlling the
>kernel/buffering/cacheing memory allocation which I think accounts for a
>fair amount of my 64Mb. I'm only getting 40% of that, an Xserver gets
>some more, and there are some NFS daemons... I can't see any specific
>recommendations for Solaris 2.5 in the FAQ.

You could always use a remote X server, either on another workstation
or an X terminal.

--

1. Linux application programmers wanted

I'm a tech writer who has been using Linux for several years.
I am posting this from home for the Engineering Supervisor at
XImage Corporation. I recommend XImage as a good employer and
one that pays well.

************** start *********

Linux application programmers wanted:

XImage Corporation is looking for Linux-capable programmers to either port
our software to Linux or modify it to run under Linux with iBCS2 emulation.

XImage markets a computerized imaging database system to law-enforcement
agencies throughout the world (mugshots, suspect identification, criminal
bookings, photo lineups). Our software currently runs on SCO, AIX, and
Sun-O/S. The code base is approximately 250K lines in C. The project
would probably involve perfecting system calls and modifying some drivers.

We solicit consultants or full-time job applicants. Project participants
will be given nearly complete freedom in decision making.

Our only requirement is that applicants be highly capable with porting
applications to Linux and iBCS2 emulation.

If interested, please call Jag Narasimhan at (408)288-8800 (San Jose, CA),

or write to     Jag Narasimhan
                XImage Corporation
                1050 N Fifth Street
                San Jose, CA 95112

or reply by email to

                or

                or

Thank You,

Steve Whitlatch for Jag Narasimhan

*********** end *********

2. SLIP and GA Tech acme system!

3. wanted: X-based prioritized task list maintenance application

4. Coolest window manager I have ever seen.

5. Wanted -- Programmer -- TCP applications for Linux

6. How I can set function keys in .emacs

7. Wanted: French applications and French Sun support

8. ppp routing to multiple private subnets?

9. Advice wanted - Linux server sharing windows applications?

10. Linux application programmers wanted

11. WANTED: UnixWare Application Server 2.01

12. Application Environment - Suggestions Wanted

13. Wanted--X clinet applications, mail, www, news