Removing Password: prompt for Account with no Password Solaris X.86

Removing Password: prompt for Account with no Password Solaris X.86

Post by Jeffery J. Haywar » Fri, 20 Jan 1995 04:18:29

I have an account with a custom shell, and I only want the account
(actually require the account) to not only not require a password but to
not prompt for one.  In the man page for passwd is says to simply type
passwd -d acct
The man page says that will remove the password and not prompt for it
anymore.  However, when I log into that account the first thing it does
is prompt the user to enter a New password!
I tried removing it with -d and then locking it with -l and I still get
the same results.
From root I use passwd acct and just hit enter when it prompts for the
password.  This removes the password but it still prompts for one. Really
desperate I edited the shadow file and removed the password but I still
am prompted for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff

1. Removing Password: prompt

Hi,

I'm trying to setup an account with no password, where the password prompt
does not display.  The user would only need to know the username.  Having a
null password requires that you hit a <CR> at the Password: prompt.  I would
like to eliminate the Password: prompt altogether.  Does anyone know how to
do this?

passwd -d       does not work, btw.

Thanks in advance,

John

2. problem with scsi adapter

3. Removing password prompt for rsh and rexec

4. portsentry

5. 2.6 HOW: account whithout password prompting

6. THE BEST VOIP COMPANY FOR INTERNACIONAL CALLS

7. LOGIN without Password prompt account, i.e. guest

8. ipcs

9. How do I create an account that doesn't prompt for a password?

10. LOGIN without Password prompt account, i.e. guest

11. HELP: How do you remove Solaris 2.4 x.86 bootmanager?

12. Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

13. Sun SOLARIS 2.5 -- Password prompts