Help with DHCP

Help with DHCP

Post by Agustin Martorel » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00



I'm trying to configure some Solaris workstations using DHCP, giving
fixed IPs to them. The DHCP server runs under NT.
There is an option on the DHCP server to assign fix addresses to a
NetBios name or to a hardware address (e.g. ethernet address), but
this doesn't seems to work. The server doesn't match the ethernet
address, and gives another IP from the pool.

Have anyone worked with similar systems?

Thanks in advance.

Agustn Martorell
Unix System Administrator

Ericsson Servicios Informticos, S. A.
IT Services
Paseo de la Ermita del Santo, 5
28011 - Madrid
Spain

Tel: +34 91 339 9970
Fax: +34 91 339 1133

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by grocb » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


just curious here, but why even use DHCP if you want to assign a
specific IP to  a specific box?
just make them static and save yourself some trouble



> I'm trying to configure some Solaris workstations using DHCP,
giving=20
> fixed IPs to them. The DHCP server runs under NT.
> There is an option on the DHCP server to assign fix addresses to a=20
> NetBios name or to a hardware address (e.g. ethernet address), but=20
> this doesn't seems to work. The server doesn't match the ethernet=20
> address, and gives another IP from the pool.

> Have anyone worked with similar systems?

> Thanks in advance.

> Agust=EDn Martorell
> Unix System Administrator

> Ericsson Servicios Inform=E1ticos, S. A.
> IT Services
> Paseo de la Ermita del Santo, 5
> 28011 - Madrid
> Spain

> Tel: +34 91 339 9970
> Fax: +34 91 339 1133


--
Brad Grocholski
Sasktel Technology Systems Engineering
Tel (306)777-2156, Fax (306)-347-2208

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


You have a funny combination here!

Miscosoft's DHCP serevr is not are very good DHCP server to start with.
Anyway, that is a different story.

What you should do is block the IP addresses you need for the WS from
the DHCP server and use Static IP assignment on the WS. You don't have
to do any IP-grabbing from the DHCP server since you would be running
the WS on static.

NT DHCP does not handle this pre-set IP addresses on its DHCP server
well.

Ed


> I'm trying to configure some Solaris workstations using DHCP, giving
> fixed IPs to them. The DHCP server runs under NT.
> There is an option on the DHCP server to assign fix addresses to a
> NetBios name or to a hardware address (e.g. ethernet address), but
> this doesn't seems to work. The server doesn't match the ethernet
> address, and gives another IP from the pool.

> Have anyone worked with similar systems?

> Thanks in advance.

> Agustn Martorell
> Unix System Administrator

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Agustin Martorel » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


That's the way we're working now, but the purpose of using DHCP is to
have full control of IP domains under DHCP/DNS. Neither static
assignments locally on the hosts, nor NIS-based naming are good
solutions for us, because our network is too complex and extremely
dynamic.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


regarding Re: Help with DHCP:

> You have a funny combination here!
> Miscosoft's DHCP serevr is not are very good DHCP server to start
with.
> Anyway, that is a different story.
> What you should do is block the IP addresses you need for the WS from
> the DHCP server and use Static IP assignment on the WS. You don't have
> to do any IP-grabbing from the DHCP server since you would be running
> the WS on static.
> NT DHCP does not handle this pre-set IP addresses on its DHCP server
> well.
> Ed

> > I'm trying to configure some Solaris workstations using DHCP, giving
> > fixed IPs to them. The DHCP server runs under NT.
> > There is an option on the DHCP server to assign fix addresses to a
> > NetBios name or to a hardware address (e.g. ethernet address), but
> > this doesn't seems to work. The server doesn't match the ethernet
> > address, and gives another IP from the pool.

> > Have anyone worked with similar systems?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Agustn Martorell
> > Unix System Administrator

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Then you might not have solution except assigning the static IP.

MS DHCP cannot handle pre-set IP addresses for assigned addresses.

A product called QIP from Lucent Technologies handles this cvery nicely but
runs in a UNIX BOX.

Ed


> That's the way we're working now, but the purpose of using DHCP is to
> have full control of IP domains under DHCP/DNS. Neither static
> assignments locally on the hosts, nor NIS-based naming are good
> solutions for us, because our network is too complex and extremely
> dynamic.

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Agustin Martorel » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


We are using QIP to manage our DNS domain.
QIP has options to generating config files for DHCP servers, but I
don't know if it can work as a DHCP server itself. This would be
perfect for us.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


regarding Re: Help with DHCP:

Quote:> Then you might not have solution except assigning the static IP.
> MS DHCP cannot handle pre-set IP addresses for assigned addresses.
> A product called QIP from Lucent Technologies handles this cvery
nicely but
> runs in a UNIX BOX.
> Ed

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
have this feature.

Ed


> We are using QIP to manage our DNS domain.
> QIP has options to generating config files for DHCP servers, but I
> don't know if it can work as a DHCP server itself. This would be
> perfect for us.

> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


> regarding Re: Help with DHCP:

> > Then you might not have solution except assigning the static IP.

> > MS DHCP cannot handle pre-set IP addresses for assigned addresses.

> > A product called QIP from Lucent Technologies handles this cvery
> nicely but
> > runs in a UNIX BOX.

> > Ed

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Arthur Darren Dunh » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
>allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
>have this feature.

Hmm.  I thought it did.  You can place an 'exception' into the middle of
a range, and you can assign a MAC address to that IP.  That woudl would
be the equivalent of a static assignment, right?
--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                               San Francisco Bay Area
      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >
 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


As you can see from the original note, this doesn't seem to work properly.

From other discussion groups, I read that MS handles TCP/IP differently from
how the UNIX world handles it.

Ed




> >The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
> >allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
> >have this feature.

> Hmm.  I thought it did.  You can place an 'exception' into the middle of
> a range, and you can assign a MAC address to that IP.  That woudl would
> be the equivalent of a static assignment, right?
> --

> Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
> Got some Dr Pepper?                               San Francisco Bay Area
>       < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Agustin Martorel » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Yes, MS DHCP supports 'exceptions' in which you can specify the MAC
address, but this doesn't work fine. When the DHCP server gets the
request, doesn't match the physical address (it uses NetBios names),
and gives back another IP from the pool.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


regarding Re: Help with DHCP:



> >The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
> >allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
> >have this feature.
> Hmm.  I thought it did.  You can place an 'exception' into the middle
of
> a range, and you can assign a MAC address to that IP.  That woudl
would
> be the equivalent of a static assignment, right?
> --
> Darren Dunham                                          


Quote:> Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin
Company
> Got some Dr Pepper?                               San Francisco Bay
Area
>       < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Arthur Darren Dunh » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


[attempted rearrangements to improve readability.  Quote above is nicer..]




>> >The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
>> >allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
>> >have this feature.

>> Hmm.  I thought it did.  You can place an 'exception' into the middle of
>> a range, and you can assign a MAC address to that IP.  That woudl would
>> be the equivalent of a static assignment, right?



Quote:>As you can see from the original note, this doesn't seem to work properly.

I wasn't replying to the orignal post.  I just wanted to clarify that MS
DHCP *can* do static assignments.  I have used MS DHCP in a network to
set up static MAC->IP assignments (for non MS equipment).  I'm sorry
that the orginal poster didn't get it to work.

Of course now you're making me nervous about my assertation.  I remember
it was DHCP on a Win NT machine.  Are there multiple versions of the
DHCP server?

Quote:>From other discussion groups, I read that MS handles TCP/IP differently from
>how the UNIX world handles it.

I don't know what that means.  There are many obnoxious things about MS
products, but the major TCP/IP protocols are interoperable.
--

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                               San Francisco Bay Area
      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >
 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Ed F. de Guzma » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


The postings I read about MS on TCP/IP mentions that TCP/IP handling by MS is
different from the way it was meant to be.

It boils down on how they had interpreted TCP/IP.

You might have made it to work for MS to non-MS products. But I believe it does
not always work for all UNIX WS.

I may be wrong here but this is as far as I had experienced.

Ed


> [attempted rearrangements to improve readability.  Quote above is nicer..]




> >> >The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
> >> >allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
> >> >have this feature.

> >> Hmm.  I thought it did.  You can place an 'exception' into the middle of
> >> a range, and you can assign a MAC address to that IP.  That woudl would
> >> be the equivalent of a static assignment, right?

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Thomas Holla » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Look into the Linksys Workgroup hub, we were able to set it up as a DHCP
server and it works beautifully.

     why NT?   Unix forever!

~thomas~

Yes, MS DHCP supports 'exceptions' in which you can specify the MAC
address, but this doesn't work fine. When the DHCP server gets the
request, doesn't match the physical address (it uses NetBios names),
and gives back another IP from the pool.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


regarding Re: Help with DHCP:



> >The problem really lies with MS DHCP. Our DHCP is on a Unix box that
> >allows pre-set DHCP called Static-DHCP. MS DHCP, I believe, does not
> >have this feature.
> Hmm.  I thought it did.  You can place an 'exception' into the middle
of
> a range, and you can assign a MAC address to that IP.  That woudl
would
> be the equivalent of a static assignment, right?
> --
> Darren Dunham


Quote:> Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin
Company
> Got some Dr Pepper?                               San Francisco Bay
Area
>       < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

 
 
 

Help with DHCP

Post by Agustin Martorel » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Where can I find that workgroup?

Why NT? ... Just politics. The day when the sysadmins be heard will
come...

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


regarding Re: Help with DHCP:

Quote:> Look into the Linksys Workgroup hub, we were able to set it up as a
DHCP
> server and it works beautifully.
>      why NT?   Unix forever!

 
 
 

1. Help needed...DHCP and dhcp.conf

Hi  all,

I have redhat 5.0 linux box +win95+winNT clients.

I would like to setup DHCPd on redhat. As I do not have a sample dhcp.conf
script, does anyone have a sample dhcp.conf I could have a look at, or can
tell me what goes into dhcp.conf to setup remote dhcp requests.

all suggestions welcome

Regards

2. rbtree

3. Need help with DHCP setup -> Solaris 7

4. Apache FORBIDDEN

5. Help Configuring DHCP Server

6. Empty line in header

7. ~~~Help with DHCP and DNS server~~~

8. Will Linux run on a Micron Millenia?

9. help configuring DHCP

10. help with DHCP please

11. Help configuring DHCP SERVER w/ 2 E-Net's.

12. help w/dhcp and debian

13. Help: Automate DHCP renewal