NIS in linux(no shadow) with solaris (shadow)?

NIS in linux(no shadow) with solaris (shadow)?

Post by nurine » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I want to use linux for NIS server, but some problem happen.

My new machine's OS is solaris 7 ,which use shadow passwords,
cannot be used NIS client.
I think it is because each uses different password storing method.
How can I do?

thanks

NIS in linux(no shadow) with solaris (shadow)?

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   I want to use linux for NIS server, but some problem happen.

>   My new machine's OS is solaris 7, which use shadow passwords,
>   cannot be used NIS client.  I think it is because each uses
>   different password storing method.

No, the encryption used in /etc/shadow is the same as in /etc/passwd.
It is _possible_ that your Linux server uses MD5 hashing of the
passwords, though, in which case you have a problem.

Quote:>   How can I do?

We use /etc/shadow only for the root password, the other passwords are
available via NIS.  You can do this by specifying "passwd: files nis"

Kjetil T.

1. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

Platform: Suse Linux Professional 9.1

Changing a passwd on an NIS client using the passwd command works
fine.  The /etc/shadow and shadow.byname map gets updated on the NIS
server machine.

However, changing a passwd on the NIS server using the passwd command
only updates the /etc/shadow file.  The shadow.byname map does not get
updated.  The only way I can think of to fix this is to set up a cron
job to periodically run
make -C /var/yp

I am using Thorsten Kukuk's pam_unix2.so module which is suppose to be
 "clever" enough to find out whether the account it's dealing with is
local or NIS but it does not appear to work.

Any idea what's wrong?

2. SBlive Midi ???

3. Shadow password files vs. non-shadowed passwords

4. read only file

5. NIS+ users can read shadow from nis+ passwd table

6. Porting HP-UX to RedHat Linux - need termlib library.

7. I cannot get Shadow-3.3.1 to create shadow passwd file

8. NS Web Publisher question

9. refresh shadow password using shadow.h

10. ERROR: KDE shadow password error although no shadow passwords used

11. converting non-shadowed -> shadowed

12. Shadow headers missing (shadow.h)

13. Shadow or not to shadow?