Can't run man on SUN Solaris 2.3

Post by Huy T » Sun, 10 Jul 1994 07:29:40

Has anyone run into the following problem with man page on SUN
Solaris 2.3? I'm just typing a simple command such as 'man ls'.

On the following 3 users, using the same MANPATH in the .cshrc file:
  setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/openwin/share/man

root user can run without any problem.

User A has this error message:
 Reformatting page.  Wait... done.
 Nothing comes out.

User B has the following error message:
 Reformatting page.  Wait...nroff: cannot create temp file.
  done
Nothing comes out.

Thanks for any help.

Huy Vo

Can't run man on SUN Solaris 2.3

Post by Stainless Steel R » Sun, 10 Jul 1994 07:16:53

First of all, check the file and directory permissions of all your man
directories, and the directories above them. All the directories should be
world read & execute/search, and all the files under .../man must be world
readable.

Second, check the permissions of /tmp. It should be world readable,
writable, and searchable. You should also turn on the 't' bit (check the
chmod(1) manpage).

Finally, check if User B defines the variables TMP or TEMP, and see if they
point to a directory that they cannot read/write/search.

--

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox | bio-degradable adhesive.

Post by Michel Piterma » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 16:48:23

|> First of all, check the file and directory permissions of all your man
|> directories, and the directories above them. All the directories should be
|> world read & execute/search, and all the files under .../man must be world
|> readable.
|>
|> Second, check the permissions of /tmp. It should be world readable,
|> writable, and searchable. You should also turn on the 't' bit (check the
|> chmod(1) manpage).
|>
|> Finally, check if User B defines the variables TMP or TEMP, and see if they
|> point to a directory that they cannot read/write/search.

Check also /usr/tmp which should be world readable, writable, and searchable.

There is another problem if you use the /usr/man/cat* directories, it will be
possible that man created empty translated files every time you used it.
I.e. "man ls" could produce a file /usr/man/cat1/ls.1 with size 0.  In that
case, even after having fixed protection mode directory problems, if you use
"man ls" again, it will do a "cat /usr/man/cat1/ls.1" which will give nothing
on the screen.  As a consequence, you could need to delete all empty files in
your /*/cat* directories before being able to use man again.

Best wishes,

                                      pit

Post by Amaresh R. Jos » Tue, 12 Jul 1994 23:51:05

>|> Second, check the permissions of /tmp. It should be world readable,
>|> writable, and searchable. You should also turn on the 't' bit (check the
>|> chmod(1) manpage).
>Check also /usr/tmp which should be world readable, writable, and searchable.

the above also applies to /var/tmp

hth,
amaresh
--
Amaresh R. Joshi             | 'Across the pale parabola of joy.'