- How to print on a network HP printer identified by an IP number

- How to print on a network HP printer identified by an IP number

Post by Lew Yan Voo » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a Sun sparc 20 station with solaris 2.5.1 - HW 11/97, recommended
and Y2000 patches. Does anyone know if it is possible to configure the
system so as to be able to print on a network HP printer identified by
an IP number. If yes how can I config the system.

Thanks for your help.

Lew
--

Post by Pascal Grostabussia » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a Sun sparc 20 station with solaris 2.5.1 - HW 11/97, recommended
> and Y2000 patches. Does anyone know if it is possible to configure the
> system so as to be able to print on a network HP printer identified by
> an IP number. If yes how can I config the system.

Go to http://www.hp.com, look for Print Servers, get the jetadmin
package which will install under /opt/hpnp. Run jetadmin, choose
"add a new printer" and key in your IP#, confirm, and quit.

If needed, update /etc/hosts and complete the printer section in
admintool.

/Pascal.

  pascal.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Martin Hepwort » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a Sun sparc 20 station with solaris 2.5.1 - HW 11/97, recommended
> and Y2000 patches. Does anyone know if it is possible to configure the
> system so as to be able to print on a network HP printer identified by
> an IP number. If yes how can I config the system.

> Thanks for your help.

> Lew
> --

Lew
sure - 'best' way is to install the solaris jetdirect software from HP's
web site.

Martin

- How to print on a network HP printer identified by an IP number

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I have a Sun sparc 20 station with solaris 2.5.1 - HW 11/97, recommended
>and Y2000 patches. Does anyone know if it is possible to configure the
>system so as to be able to print on a network HP printer identified by
>an IP number. If yes how can I config the system.

As others have said, your best solution is to download HP's Jetadmin
or Jetdirect software, and configure the printer through that software.

If you can't do that, the only method remaining is the remote printer
configuration:

  Make sure 'files' appears on the 'hosts:' line of your
  /etc/nsswitch.conf file, then add an entry in your /etc/hosts
  file with the printer's ip address and a hostname.  For example,
  the hostname could be 'hpprinter'.

  Tell the Solaris 2.5.1 print software that the printer exists,
  and will act like a print server machine:

    lpsystem -t bsd hpprinter

  Configure the printer as a remote printer:

    lpadmin -p printer -s hpprinter -I any
    enable printer
    accept printer

    The '-I' option is an uppercase i, not a lowercase L or number one.
    Replace "printer" with the name you want to use for the printer in
    your lp/lpr commands.  Replace "hpprinter" with the hostname you
    put in your /etc/hosts file for the printer's IP address.

  -Greg

- How to print on a network HP printer identified by an IP number

Post by Bobby Brai » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I would get HP Jetadmin for Solaris 2.x. You can't go wrong. Its free. Look
at HPs web site.