Captain, we have a complete idiot at the helm!!!

Captain, we have a complete idiot at the helm!!!

Post by BAD BAD LEROY BROW » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Okay, I am a UNIX idiot. I just installed Solaris 7 on my PIII 500 w/ 128 mb
of ram and now I want to get it connected to the DSL through my ethernet
card. Where can I go to find out what to do??? I did about an hour of
surfing and really didn't find much of anything.  Fortunately I am dual
booting and still have win98. I am hoping to get away from MS product
reliance. I want to use them if it is best, but not be forced to because I
don't know better. So how do you do it??? Can someone help me by directing
my with a link to the info, or does anyone want to just come out and tell
me???? If you can e-mail me because I can't check back on the news groups
very often.

Thank you to all the Solaris/UNIX people out there
Ben

Captain, we have a complete idiot at the helm!!!

Post by John T. Douglas » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Okay, I am a UNIX idiot. I just installed Solaris 7 on my PIII 500 w/ 128 mb
> of ram and now I want to get it connected to the DSL through my ethernet
> card. Where can I go to find out what to do??? I did about an hour of
> surfing and really didn't find much of anything.  Fortunately I am dual
> booting and still have win98. I am hoping to get away from MS product
> reliance. I want to use them if it is best, but not be forced to because I
> don't know better. So how do you do it??? Can someone help me by directing
> my with a link to the info, or does anyone want to just come out and tell
> me???? If you can e-mail me because I can't check back on the news groups
> very often.

> Thank you to all the Solaris/UNIX people out there
> Ben

Try the solaris on intel mailing list:

http://www.egroups.com

The archives are searchable and hosted at the same location so you
might start there.

Other resources are pointed to by:

http://fishbutt.fiver.net

-- John
--
John T. Douglass                        Phone: 208 533 7992

           "A train stops at a trainstation, a bus stops
            at a bustation, what happens at a workstation?"

1. Kernel update 4 the complete idiot

I've been happily using linux now for a year plus.  Plugging
along with a 9600 baud delphi connection, no problemo.  And
as they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so I didn't.  Now
I'm signed on with a local provider that I can SLIP/PPP to.
I can finaly get to use my spiffy hayes modem at the speeds
I bought it for in the first place.  I'm drooling.  I'm
licking my lips and not my girlfrie.... oops that another
sad story.

So I read the net-2 faq, howto's, nag, etc., and as best I can
tell my linux 1.0.8 has fossilized; so I need to update it.  More
reading revealed that I also need new libs (libc + others) and
that I also need to update my gcc (2.5.8) up to 2.6.2... whew!
This thing is snowballing fast.

What I am looking for is the proper sequence to do this.
Kernel first?
gcc first? last?

Is there an upgrade grid out there somewhere, kind of an X-Y
grid of compatable revision levels?

What is a good solid kernel level to upgrde to? Is 1.1.9x solid ?

Or should I just start over from ground zero? :-(

Any advice or pointers would be helpful before I charge into
this jungle without a machete.

                                       TIA
                                               ja

Jon Aldrich        |     "People aren't wearing enough hats"

2. Accessing/Mounting NTFS partitions with write capability ?

3. Complete idiots guide to linux

4. Sending SCSI commands to SCSI device

5. A question from a complete idiot

6. PPP

7. Complete idiots guide to linux

8. Cut-n-Paste Problem

9. Complete Novice (read idiot?)

10. Complete Idiot.

11. HELP - Im am a complete idiot!!

12. success!!! from a complete Linux idiot

13. Drsquare admits hes a complete idiot, includes devlin by proxy