Spontaneous power off?

Post by Peter C. Tribb » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone ever seen a Sun spontaneously power itself off? One of our
machines (Ultra-10) records:

Jun 21 17:46:35 XXXXXX /usr/lib/power/powerd: Power button is pressed,
powering down the system!

and yet the user swears blind that they were working at their desk
nearby and the machine spontaneously turned itself off. It's not power
management, which we have disabled. I was just wondering if it were
possible that there's a bug in powerd causing it to incorrectly think
that the power button has been pressed.

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

Spontaneous power off?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone ever seen a Sun spontaneously power itself off? One of our
>machines (Ultra-10) records:

>Jun 21 17:46:35 XXXXXX /usr/lib/power/powerd: Power button is pressed,
>powering down the system!

>and yet the user swears blind that they were working at their desk
>nearby and the machine spontaneously turned itself off. It's not power
>management, which we have disabled. I was just wondering if it were
>possible that there's a bug in powerd causing it to incorrectly think
>that the power button has been pressed.

I've seen something similar on an Ultra-1. I couldn't find anything
in syslog or messages, but then found who -a /var/adm/wtmp showed an
init 5 had been done. Whilst investigating, it happened again, but
this time I saw a garbled console message appear in the middle of my
vi, saying overheating or some such. Sure enough, CPU fan had died.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Spontaneous power off?

Post by DIAL|MB|Higher Powered Software - Ed Fin » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: I've seen something similar on an Ultra-1.

Ultra 2s have the air intake on the side. If you slide the system
up against a wall or rack, you can block the air intake and have
an overtemp.

Ed

   Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
   A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.