Profiling problems under SunOS 5.2

Post by Douglas C. Schmi » Mon, 27 Sep 1993 07:52:28

Hi,

        I've been working on profiling some multi-threaded application
code written in C++.  I'm running into several problems and would be
interested to know whether anyone has any workarounds:

        1. Despite what the manual page claims, /usr/ccs/bin/prof
           does *not* seem to demangle C++ identifiers.  Moreover,
           it does not seem to accurately count function usage.

        2. /opt/SUNWspro/bin/gprof *does* correctly demangle names
           and seems to do a better job of counting function calls.
           However, then compiled with the -pg compiler switch,
           and run with all threads *bound*, the executable program
           keeps blocking indefinitely in a call to moncontrol()
           (i.e., moncontrol seems to get "stuck" somehow).

Has anyone else experienced these problems, and if so, are there any
workarounds and will SunOS 5.3 fix these problems?

        Thanks,

                Doug
--
His life was gentle, and the elements so            | Douglas C. Schmidt

And say to all the world: "This was a man."         | ucivax!schmidt
   -- In loving memory of Terry Williams (1971-1991)| (714) 856-4101

1. SunOS 4.1 vs SunOS 5.2

I do not understand why behavior is different between SunOS 4.1 and 5.2.

I have an executable file with the setuid bit on (anyone can execute
it), owned by user A.  The executable file does a system("bbb"), where
bbb is a sh script.  The script accesses a file which is only readable
by user A.

In SunOS 4.1, when someone other than user A runs the executable file, the
file (readable only by user A) is accessed OK.

But in SunOS 5.2, when someone other than user A runs the executable file,
access is prevented.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.  Please email me.

Harold McCabe

2. Where do I put BootLoader /Win98

3. top3.1beta under SunOS 5.2 problems

4. Netscape views .htm as text

5. Q: Problems with X on SunOS 5.2

6. sys_close & fd's ???

7. SunOS 5.2 Print Client and BSD Print Server

8. Newbie to Script Writing

9. Terminal hookup to SS2 under SunOS 5.2

10. GNU finger dying regularly on SunOS 5.2

11. automounting trouble from SunOS 4.1.x to Irix 5.2?

12. Help with unlink on a directory on SunOS 5.2

13. porting SunOS C++ program to RH 5.2 Linux