importing/exporting nis+ tables

Post by ed quille » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:39:40

I am looking for a utility (cuz i don't feel like writing it) that
can export an nis+ table (schema and/or data). Preferably it would
just export the table to a bourne shell script that can be used to
rebuild the table.

Anyone already do this?

Ed

importing/exporting nis+ tables

Post by Akop Pogosia » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 11:55:54

Quote:> I am looking for a utility (cuz i don't feel like writing it) that
> can export an nis+ table (schema and/or data). Preferably it would
> just export the table to a bourne shell script that can be used to
> rebuild the table.
> Anyone already do this?
> Ed

What format do you want to export that data to? The simplest thing to
do is to use:

/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent -d "table" > file

This would dump the said table into a file in the format this data
would be if you used plain files instead of NIS+ (e.g. dumping
"group.org_dir" table would produce a file in the format of
/etc/group)

You can import the data back into NIS+ tables with the same nisaddent:

/usr/lib/nis/nisaddent "table" < file

Other utilities that you migth be useful in inputing or outputing the
data are  are nispopulate, nisbackup, nisrestore, nistbladm, nismatch,
and niscat, etc

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Post by Logan Sh » Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:02:40

Quote:>I am looking for a utility (cuz i don't feel like writing it) that
>can export an nis+ table (schema and/or data). Preferably it would
>just export the table to a bourne shell script that can be used to
>rebuild the table.

Is /usr/sbin/nisbackup what you're looking for?

  - Logan
--
"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
 we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

                                          Georges Bernanos

importing/exporting nis+ tables

Post by ed quille » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:42:06

What I want the exporting/importing mostly for is:

-ability to easily clone a table (columes/perms/owners/optionally data)

-ability to easily add/remove a column to/from a table

All I care about is that the export output is text and structured.
Maybe just an (niscat -o) optionally jammed together with an (niscat).
Problem with that is a script is needed for the import.
It shouldn't be too hard to put together the script, I was just hoping
someone has already done it...

While I'm at it, is there a cli way to retrieve a single cell as opposed
to the whole record (nismatch)? I get tired of the awk'ing expecially
since not all my tables can use the same delimiter.

Thanks,
Ed

> >I am looking for a utility (cuz i don't feel like writing it) that
> >can export an nis+ table (schema and/or data). Preferably it would
> >just export the table to a bourne shell script that can be used to
> >rebuild the table.

> Is /usr/sbin/nisbackup what you're looking for?

>   - Logan
> --
> "In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
>  we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

>                                           Georges Bernanos

1. Koffice import/export ability?

I'm attempting to open and Excel 97 spreadsheet with Kspread, but get the
error message "Could not import file of type application/msexcel" titled
"Missing import filter - KSpread.

I read the info on koffice.org about importing/exporting, but couldn't find
any place to download filters.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Lee

2. Bastille

3. File system exporting to/importing from MSDOS?

4. Problem with my SAMSUNG 32x CDROM

5. UserDB(Files) export-import

6. Using all cursor movement possibilities of the keyboard

7. export and import mail

8. Newbie to Linux and Perl

9. no concept of importing and exporting symbols on solaris ?

10. Export/import mail/folders between Kmail, Netscape and other

11. Is Exporting Modem from Linux-Server and Import to WIN95-Client possible??

12. how to use export/import files to create an object to be loaded at runtime

13. export/import datavg problem