Logging lp requests to a remote printer

Post by Matt » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:15:34

Is there a way to get lp requests that are sent to a remote printer to log,
for example in /var/spool/lp/logs/requests. ?

Thanks

Post by Matt » Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:21:13

> > Is there a way to get lp requests that are sent to a remote printer to
log,
> > for example in /var/spool/lp/logs/requests. ?

> Are you looking for some sort of printer auditing?  It's is frequently
> asked for, especially in university environments, but AFAIK, it's not
> part of the basic Solaris printing system.  Usually solutions involve
> some a filter script using sort of emulation of a printer in ghostscript
> to figure out the pages to be printed, recording that information in a
> log file, and sending the print job to the printer.  Don't know how they
> handle paperjams, reprinting, etc.

> Or are you just trying to verify that a print job was sent to a remote
> printer, when, and how big the file was (not an indication of # pages)?

> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

I'm just looking or some indiction that the print job was submitted to the
remote printer and whether the submission was successful or not.

Post by Greg Andre » Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:44:14

>Is there a way to get lp requests that are sent to a remote printer to log,
>for example in /var/spool/lp/logs/requests. ?

A remote printer configuration means your Solaris machine is a
print client sending the data to a print server machine.  Look
to the print server machine to provide your logging of print
jobs.  If you are using a remote printer configuration for sending
print jobs directly to a network printer, you're going against
Sun's advice on how to configure the printer queue.

If you really want logging on the print client machine, it's going
to be very hard to get what you're hoping for.  Syslog output from
the Solaris lp and printd processes is feast or famine.  Enable
syslog at the lpr.debug level, and lp and printd will tell you Every
Single Solitary Thing They Do.  You will have to swim through enormous
amounts of unwanted data to get the summary that you're looking for.
Meanwhile, the logfile consumes a lot of data.  With syslog set to
log at levels above lpr.debug, you get nothing.

If you delete the printer configuration and re-create it as a network
printer queue, then you'll get the kind of logging in the requests file
that you're asking for.  However, a network printer configuration is
NOT recommended when your print client machine is feeding the print
jobs to a computer that's acting as the print server.  Again, get
your log info from the print server.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Post by Greg Andre » Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:57:46

>syslog at the lpr.debug level, and lp and printd will tell you Every
>Single Solitary Thing They Do.  You will have to swim through enormous
>amounts of unwanted data to get the summary that you're looking for.
>Meanwhile, the logfile consumes a lot of data.

I meant to say "the logfile consumes a lot of disk space."

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Post by Matt » Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:42:56

> >syslog at the lpr.debug level, and lp and printd will tell you Every
> >Single Solitary Thing They Do.  You will have to swim through enormous
> >amounts of unwanted data to get the summary that you're looking for.
> >Meanwhile, the logfile consumes a lot of data.

> I meant to say "the logfile consumes a lot of disk space."

>   -Greg
> --
> Do NOT reply via e-mail.
> Reply in the newsgroup.

Thanks Greg, that has pretty much confirmed my understanding of how things
work and the options available to me.

1. lp request termination with multiple interfaces on one printer

JSB Multiview  is being used to send Windows print jobs to be printed on
the local printer. Two printer interfaces are used for the same printer,
one for Unix jobs and one for Windows jobs.

The problem arrises if there is another print job being printed which
is from the server and a Windows print job is sent to the server.  The
Unix print job stops printing and is lost and the Windows job is
printed.  An error message is sent:

        Subject: Status of lp request laser_c-"print job number"

        Your request laser_c-"print job number" destined for laser_c
        encountered an error while printing on printer laser_c.

        Reason for failure:

        The output ''port'', a FIFO, was closed before all output was
        written.
        user/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/laser_c: 3801 Hangup

I have obviously overlooked something. Any clues would be appreciated; a
straight forward answer and solution even more so.

Corrie

2. Java rpm

3. ?? LP filters for remote printers from Solaris 2.x system

4. Red Hat Linux and Sound Blaster CDRom

5. #$%@! lp:Solaris remote lp failing

6. HELP !!!! Where is the French keyboard ?

7. lp printing to remote printer problem

8. as200 redhat 5.2 install problems

9. TCPIP delays in FTP connect and LP to remote printer

10. lp remote!printer questions

11. UNIX lp remote printer setup

12. Samba - remote printer - lp - help please

13. lp queues jobs locally but won't send to remote printer