Why does cron depend on pam?

Post by stefan.lindes.. » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Why does cron depend on the "other" entry in pam.conf?

other  auth  required  /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

The man pages only list the following:
  Utilities and Files
     A following is a list of the utilities that are known to use
     PAM: include: login , passwd , su , rlogind , rshd , telnetd
     , ftpd , rpc.rexd , uucpd , init , sac , and ttymon .

     The utility dtlogin also uses PAM. Note however that   dtlo-
     gin  is  the  login  service  utility for the Common Desktop
     Environment (CDE).

Is there any more services not listsed in the man pages that uses the
pam utilities?

/Stefan

Why does cron depend on pam?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Why does cron depend on the "other" entry in pam.conf?
>other  auth  required  /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

To set user's credetials.

Quote:>The man pages only list the following:
>  Utilities and Files
>     A following is a list of the utilities that are known to use
>     PAM: include: login , passwd , su , rlogind , rshd , telnetd
>     , ftpd , rpc.rexd , uucpd , init , sac , and ttymon .
>     The utility dtlogin also uses PAM. Note however that   dtlo-
>     gin  is  the  login  service  utility for the Common Desktop
>     Environment (CDE).
>Is there any more services not listsed in the man pages that uses the
>pam utilities?

Services that run random processes on behalf of users should us ePAM
to setup credentials.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Why does cron depend on pam?

Post by Aleph Software Consulti » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Two reasons.

        1. Do account management for the cron job. A person may have started
           a crontab or at job and then had their account changed. When
           the cron job run, it checks to see if the account is still
           valid before running the job.

        2. setup the session for the job.

This is true, of course, only for 2.6 or latter.

: Why does cron depend on the "other" entry in pam.conf?

: other  auth  required  /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

: The man pages only list the following:
:   Utilities and Files
:      A following is a list of the utilities that are known to use
:      PAM: include: login , passwd , su , rlogind , rshd , telnetd
:      , ftpd , rpc.rexd , uucpd , init , sac , and ttymon .

:      The utility dtlogin also uses PAM. Note however that   dtlo-
:      gin  is  the  login  service  utility for the Common Desktop
:      Environment (CDE).

: Is there any more services not listsed in the man pages that uses the
: pam utilities?

: /Stefan

1. Why doesn't cron run the lp cron file?

I have noticed that the lp cron file doesn't seem to be executing on
my system.  It is the file provided in Solaris 2.1 (located in
/var/spool/cron/crontabs/lp).  When I check the /var/cron/log file, I
find the following messages:

! *** cron started ***   pid = 131 Tue Apr  6 21:43:06 1993
! unexpected pid returned 135 (ignored) Tue Apr  6 21:43:10 1993
ld.so.1: /usr/sbin/cron: relocation error: symbol not found: getdomainname: referenced in /usr/lib/libresolv.so.1
<  lp 319 c Wed Apr  7 03:13:03 1993 ts=9

I expected it to run since it was part of the distribution.  Does
anyone know what the problem is?
--
Scott Budge
Dept. of Electrical Engineering

2. Multiple displays/screen under X

3. Mesa depends on XFree86, but XFree86 depends on Mesa!

4. ipchains question, need to reroute SMTP requests.

5. Error when doing a make depend on Xboing and xpm

6. HP-UX to AIX

7. switch time depends on why you switch

8. killall or kill from script via cron

9. Why does Lilo behavior depend on kernel version?

10. why does exim depend on X11

11. Why oh why does DOS/Windoze work while Linux fails?

12. Why does SUNWvolu depend on SUNWnfsc[ru]?

13. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management