Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 and Disk Suite 2.0 to 4.0 upgrades

Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 and Disk Suite 2.0 to 4.0 upgrades

Post by Jim Grybows » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm planning to upgrade a server from Solaris 2.3 to Solaris 2.5.
I plan on doing a full re-install, not an incremental upgrade.
The system is currently running Online Disk Suite 2.0 (possibly 2.0.1)
and I plan to upgrade that to Solstice Disk Suite 4.0.  The Solstice
Disk Suite 4.0 Installation and Product Notes describes a script,
"metacvt", which "ensures a safe conversion from an installed release
of Disk Suite (2.0.1 and later) to Disk Suite 4.0."  It is unclear to
me whether this should be run before or after the upgrade to Solaris 2.5
is done. Also, how can I tell whether the Disk Suite version is 2.0 or
2.0.1?  I had hoped to do this upgrade starting Friday (1/26) night, so
a quick response would be appreciated.

I've just submitted this to my software support provider, but I'm
posting it here for extra insurance. I'd also like to hear of
anyone elses experiences doing a similar upgrade.

Thanks,
  Jim

Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 and Disk Suite 2.0 to 4.0 upgrades

Post by James_Mathies » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I gave up figuring out how to safely combine the 2.4->2.5 upgrade,
the OLDS 4.0 disk, and the patch to OLDS 4.0.  It's probably worse
when you are doing a reinstall.

However, you can get the same effect pretty easily by handling the
OLDS manually.  BTW, do your level 0 dumps before you start.  We
never needed ours, but if you don't have them your guaranteed to need
them...

Basically you need to take your OLDS configuration apart until you
have just simple metadevices (no logging file systems, one-way mirroring).
If you are using OLDS on areas you want to install or upgrade on you'll
have to follow the OLDS manual process to turn stuff like metaroot
off.

Once you have a simple configuration take careful notes on your
replica locations and your working configuration (metadb and "metastat -p"
are a big help here).  Your goal is to create an md.tab file you can
use after OLDS 4.0 has been installed to re-create your configuration.

BTW, md.tab can have entries for your replicas a la

   mddb01 /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0....

and then you can do a "metadb -a -f mddb01" to add replicas on all those
devices.

Remember that replicas inside partitions change their offsets, so if
you have any that aren't in their own tiny partitions you'll need
to think about the effects before deleting/adding them.  And of course
you can't have replicas in the areas where you are doing the upgrade/
install.  For similar reasons, if you changed from the default
replica size you'll need to preserve that change when you add the
replicas back.

Once you have made "rescue" md.tab file (along with notes on where to
attach back mirrors and logging devices).  Don't forget notes on where
your replicas go and where filesystems are mounted.  Printouts are
a good emergency backup method too.  For an upgrade, I did:

  - Saved my rescue md.tab file (don't save it in /etc/opt/SUNWmd, try /etc
    or some other handy place)
  - Backup up /etc/vfstab and then removed all OLDS filesystems
  - Used "pkgrm SUNWmd" and answered yes to get it to delete all
    the /etc/system and /etc/opt/SUNWmd stuff.
  - Did the upgrade
  - Installed OLDS 4.0
  - Installed the OLDS patch from  the 2.5 CD
  - rebooted
  - Copied my md.tab back into /etc/opt/SUNWmd
  - Used metadb to re-create the replicas
  - Did a metainit -a
  - Fixed /etc/vfstab
  - rebooted (if you skip this reboot then the logging filesystems won't
        be fsck'd before you attach the journals.  I'm not sure if this
        is good or not).
  - Attached journals
  - REbooted
  - Attached mirrors

A re-install should be simpler, but you'll need to be cleverer about where
you store the md.tab and vfstab files.

james

p.s. you can find out what version is installed on your system with
the command

        pkginfo | fgrep -i disk

1. upgrade 2.3 & ODS 2.0.1 to 2.5 and DS 4.0

OK I have seen a couple threads over the month about a couple of
these types of upgrades, but I can't recall the final outcome. The
thick of it is to upgrade a SS1000 running 2.3 and ODS 2.0.1 with
about 45gb of ODS'ed disks to 2.5 and use Disk Suite 4.0. Now I won't
be upgrading to 2.5, Ill rebuild from scratch. So can I save the
meta db files from ODS 2.0.1 and once I reload DS4.0 can I use the same
info and have it get back the information on those disks? Of course
during the installation I will not be destroying or changing any
of the information on those disk, so the Meta databases will still be
there.

Thanks in advance
Drew
---

| Andrew Dutton              |        |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)         |

| (206) 487-8574             |       |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\              |
| Systems Administrator      |      '---''(_/--' (_/-'              |
|       Who knows the EVIL that lurks in the hearts of MEN?         |
|                       The Shadow Knows!                           |

2. Bizarre Gnome 2.0 clock behavior on Solaris 9 08/03

3. Solaris 2.3, Sparc 5 to Solaris 2.5, Ultra 170E upgrade

4. Portscan detected from 192.168.100.100

5. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 NIS+ Question!

6. Question about WWW prefix

7. Solaris 2.3 w/NIS+ Upgrade to 2.5 w/ NIS+ (Master Server)?

8. How to know the version of X-windows?

9. upgrading from Solaris 2.3 to 2.5/6

10. Solaris 2.3=>2.5: Upgrade option not presented

11. Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 upgrade concerns

12. upgrade from Solaris 2.3 to 2.5: install program tries to do new install

13. Upgrading Disk Suite 3.0 to 4.0