Switch between Xsun and Xorg server possible AND simple ?

Switch between Xsun and Xorg server possible AND simple ?

Post by Thomas Still » Wed, 17 May 2006 04:46:37

As far as I know there are two different servers available for Solaris:

Xsun and Xorg

Is it easy and simple to switch from one server to the other?
Or are there a lot of re-configurations necessary ?

Thomas

Post by Thomas Maier-Komo » Wed, 17 May 2006 04:56:49

> As far as I know there are two different servers available for Solaris:

> Xsun and Xorg

> Is it easy and simple to switch from one server to the other?
> Or are there a lot of re-configurations necessary ?

> Thomas

switching is simple - just execute kdmconfig, then you will be asked,
what X server you want to run. But the configuration is quite different.
Xsun can be fully configured with kdmconfig, while Xorg requires some
editor work most of the time. You start with:
$ Xorg -configure
$ mv /xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If this isn't enough to get Xorg running, you will have to hand-edit
xorg.conf. There is a man page for it that might help you.

Tom

Post by Bruce Porte » Wed, 17 May 2006 05:10:51

>> As far as I know there are two different servers available for Solaris:

>> Xsun and Xorg

>> Is it easy and simple to switch from one server to the other?
>> Or are there a lot of re-configurations necessary ?

>> Thomas

> switching is simple - just execute kdmconfig, then you will be asked,
> what X server you want to run. But the configuration is quite different.
> Xsun can be fully configured with kdmconfig, while Xorg requires some
> editor work most of the time. You start with:
> $ Xorg -configure
> $ mv /xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The config is being improved, and out of the box if you add the Nvidea (if
using nvidea)

driver no extra work is needed

Quote:

> If this isn't enough to get Xorg running, you will have to hand-edit
> xorg.conf. There is a man page for it that might help you.

And a ton of help at http://www.opensolaris.org

Quote:

--
        Bruce

"The internet is a huge and diverse community and
not every one is friendly"
        http://www.ytc1.co.uk

Switch between Xsun and Xorg server possible AND simple ?

Post by hennes » Wed, 17 May 2006 05:47:37

Quote:>switching is simple - just execute kdmconfig, then you will be asked,
>what X server you want to run. But the configuration is quite different.
>Xsun can be fully configured with kdmconfig, while Xorg requires some

        Now that Solaris is open, when will GL support for Xinerama be
ported from Xsun to Xorg?

;)

--
"When in doubt, use brute force."
- Ken Thompson

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Wed, 17 May 2006 07:59:00

>>>As far as I know there are two different servers available for Solaris:

>>>Xsun and Xorg

>>>Is it easy and simple to switch from one server to the other?
>>>Or are there a lot of re-configurations necessary ?

>>>Thomas

>>switching is simple - just execute kdmconfig, then you will be asked,
>>what X server you want to run. But the configuration is quite different.
>>Xsun can be fully configured with kdmconfig, while Xorg requires some
>>editor work most of the time. You start with:
>>$ Xorg -configure
>>$ mv /xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

> The config is being improved, and out of the box if you add the Nvidea (if
> using nvidea)

> driver no extra work is needed

>>If this isn't enough to get Xorg running, you will have to hand-edit
>>xorg.conf. There is a man page for it that might help you.

> And a ton of help at http://www.opensolaris.org

>>Tom

small changes to be made if kbd is not Std. US or a wheel mouse.
my keyboard use se layout, with ps2/wheel mouse
diff -s  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf

<     Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
<     Option "XkbLayout"        "us"
---
 >     Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
 >     Option "XkbLayout"        "se"

<     Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
<     Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"
---
 > #    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"
 >     Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 >     Option "Device"      "/dev/kdmouse"
 >     Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
 >     Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

my AGP nvidia required this to be set.
 > BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
 > Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

./jorgen

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Thu, 18 May 2006 05:17:27

|>switching is simple - just execute kdmconfig, then you will be asked,
|>what X server you want to run. But the configuration is quite different.
|>Xsun can be fully configured with kdmconfig, while Xorg requires some
|
|       Now that Solaris is open, when will GL support for Xinerama be
|ported from Xsun to Xorg?

The OpenGL support for Xsun is not open source unfortunately.

--

  http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ *  http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/
   http://del.icio.us/alanc/  *  http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/