Dual boot Windows XP & Solaris 9

Post by wond » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 04:15:15

I got a 10G Harddisk and wanted to make the disk have Windows XP &
Solaris 9 in dual boot mode.

I install Windows XP first with following partitions:
1. 500M  FAT32
2. 4.5G  FAT32 (Windows XP here)
3. 4.5G  FAT32

When I tried to install Solaris 9, the installer asked which kernal I
should boot from, I selected Harddisk but it returned me a error
message, then I selected CD, the installer proceed and boot X-Windows.

I found the problem like this:
Total disk size is 19885 cylinders
Cylinder size is 1008 (512 byte) blocks

Partition       Status  Type    Start   End     Length  %
1               Active  DOS-BIG 0       1019    1020    5
2                       EXT LBA 1020    19858   18839   95

Select One of the following
1. Create a partition
2. Specify the active partition
3. Delete a partition
4. Exit (update disk configuration and exit)
5. Cancel (exit without updating disk configuration)
Enter Selection:

I have no idea what I should do next to got the plan done? What I
should I do next? Should I install any software like partition
commander or patition magic to make it works?

Any screen dump to let me know what I should to complete this also?

Dual boot Windows XP & Solaris 9

Post by Paul Floy » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:08:26

Quote:> I got a 10G Harddisk and wanted to make the disk have Windows XP &
> Solaris 9 in dual boot mode.

> I install Windows XP first with following partitions:
> 1. 500M  FAT32
> 2. 4.5G  FAT32 (Windows XP here)
> 3. 4.5G  FAT32

From what you say below, what you really have is
Primary 1. 500M FAT32
Primary 2 = Extended
   Logical 1. 4.5G FAT32
   Logical 2. 4.5G FAT32

Quote:

> When I tried to install Solaris 9, the installer asked which kernal I
> should boot from, I selected Harddisk but it returned me a error
> message, then I selected CD, the installer proceed and boot X-Windows.

> I found the problem like this:
> Total disk size is 19885 cylinders
> Cylinder size is 1008 (512 byte) blocks

> Partition  Status  Type    Start   End     Length  %
> 1          Active  DOS-BIG 0       1019    1020    5
> 2                  EXT LBA 1020    19858   18839   95

This is what I said above, though in Sun-ese. Solaris doesn't coexist
much with extended partitions.

Quote:> I have no idea what I should do next to got the plan done? What I
> should I do next? Should I install any software like partition
> commander or patition magic to make it works?

Can you afford to delete your XP installation and start again afresh?
That's what I'd do. I'd make

Primary 1. 500M FAT32
Primary 2. 4.5G UFS
Primary 3 = Extended
   Logical 1 4.5G FAT32

(and I'd use NTFS rather than FAT32).

If you can't afford to re-install, then you need a tool like Partition
Magic to resize and move your partitions.

Two essential things to do: back up your data if it is of any worth, and
don't use Solaris fdisk, use XP fdisk or Partition Magic.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

Dual boot Windows XP & Solaris 9

Post by Moss Ha » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:05:11

Description of Solaris/XP co-existence requirements snipped.

Quote:

>(and I'd use NTFS rather than FAT32).

>If you can't afford to re-install, then you need a tool like Partition
>Magic to resize and move your partitions.

>don't use Solaris fdisk, use XP fdisk or Partition Magic.

GNU Parted will also work if he leaves the windows partitions FAT32. They can
be converted back to NTFS at the time of the XP reinstall.

Dual boot Windows XP & Solaris 9

Post by wond » Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:57:27

Thx for you help! I understand my problem now. I'm ok for installing
XP again, but one thing that how I can work out primary 2 & primary 3
when Windows XP ask me to make partition in formatting stage? As
originally, I just extend 4.5G, keep some storage avaliable, but such
problem also occurs. What I have missed in order to preserve primary 2
for Solaris?

Jacques.

> > I got a 10G Harddisk and wanted to make the disk have Windows XP &
> > Solaris 9 in dual boot mode.

> > I install Windows XP first with following partitions:
> > 1. 500M  FAT32
> > 2. 4.5G  FAT32 (Windows XP here)
> > 3. 4.5G  FAT32

> From what you say below, what you really have is
> Primary 1. 500M FAT32
> Primary 2 = Extended
>    Logical 1. 4.5G FAT32
>    Logical 2. 4.5G FAT32

> > When I tried to install Solaris 9, the installer asked which kernal I
> > should boot from, I selected Harddisk but it returned me a error
> > message, then I selected CD, the installer proceed and boot X-Windows.

> > I found the problem like this:
> > Total disk size is 19885 cylinders
> > Cylinder size is 1008 (512 byte) blocks

> > Partition     Status  Type    Start   End     Length  %
> > 1             Active  DOS-BIG 0       1019    1020    5
> > 2                     EXT LBA 1020    19858   18839   95

> This is what I said above, though in Sun-ese. Solaris doesn't coexist
> much with extended partitions.

> > I have no idea what I should do next to got the plan done? What I
> > should I do next? Should I install any software like partition
> > commander or patition magic to make it works?

> Can you afford to delete your XP installation and start again afresh?
> That's what I'd do. I'd make

> Primary 1. 500M FAT32
> Primary 2. 4.5G UFS
> Primary 3 = Extended
>    Logical 1 4.5G FAT32

> (and I'd use NTFS rather than FAT32).

> If you can't afford to re-install, then you need a tool like Partition
> Magic to resize and move your partitions.

> Two essential things to do: back up your data if it is of any worth, and
> don't use Solaris fdisk, use XP fdisk or Partition Magic.

> A bientot
> Paul

Dual boot Windows XP & Solaris 9

Post by Paul Floy » Thu, 12 Feb 2004 06:17:01

Quote:> Thx for you help! I understand my problem now. I'm ok for installing
> XP again, but one thing that how I can work out primary 2 & primary 3
> when Windows XP ask me to make partition in formatting stage? As
> originally, I just extend 4.5G, keep some storage avaliable, but such
> problem also occurs. What I have missed in order to preserve primary 2
> for Solaris?

Sorry, I can't help you much there - I've never done an interactive
install of XP, so I don't know what partitioning options it gives.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

1. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

Hi
I've installed debian on 4 logical (at least that's what i've told
cfdisk to do) partitions (should be sda9 to sda12 ??; my HW config is
120GB hd on promise uata controller, dvd on ide0 master [so for linux:
hda], cd-rw on ide1 master [so hdc]) and created a boot floppy from
which i've extracted the bootsector and placed it on my fat16 boot
partition (sda0 ?? [will Linux see my promise ata as scsi??]). Then
i've added the line c:\bootsect.lnx="Debian Linux" to XPs boot.ini.

Now i get the message "boot failure" when i select Linux from the XP
boot menu.
I guess the Linux boot loader is looking for the boot image (vmlinuz
??)?
Where is it? Or better, how can i tell this to 'bootsect.lnx' ;-)

Booting from my rescue floppy still works fine, also booting XP!

Thanx

magicpio

2. rxvt-2.13 and BS/DEL problem

3. Dual boot with RedHat & Windows XP???

4. Server room temperature

5. How to dual boot Windows XP and Solaris 7

6. FreeBSD-4.0 + XFree86-4.0 ??

7. Where are the INITS?

8. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

9. Newbie novice installed Grub on Redhat 7.3 with separate /boot partition, dual boot Windows XP

10. linux - windows xp pro - dual boot - boot.ini - bootsect.lnx failure

11. How can change the Solaris primary boot subsystem to boot Windows xp default?

12. FreeBSD and Windows XP dual boot