Solaris 7 Install Trouble - Please Help

Post by Mahad Ibrahi » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The Install keeps failing with the same error.

Creating and checking UFS file systems
- Creating / (c0d0s0)

lun=0:
"same message"
"same message"
"same message"

Error for command 'write sector'
Error Level: Informational Sense Key: aborted command
Vendor 'Gen-ATA' error code: 0x3

Error : File System creation failed fo (c0d0s0)
Error: Could not check or create system critical file systems
Error: Could not update disks with new configuration

Any help would be appreciated.   I am a newbie, installing on a new system
for learning purposes.

System Config

Asus P5A
Amd K6-2
Toshiba IDE Cdrom
Western Digital 10.2 Gb IDE HD UDMA
128 mb Ram

Thanks,

Mahad

Post by Tom Ballinge » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> The Install keeps failing with the same error.

> Creating and checking UFS file systems
> - Creating / (c0d0s0)

> lun=0:
> "same message"
> "same message"
> "same message"

> Error for command 'write sector'
> Error Level: Informational Sense Key: aborted command
> Vendor 'Gen-ATA' error code: 0x3

> Error : File System creation failed fo (c0d0s0)
> Error: Could not check or create system critical file systems
> Error: Could not update disks with new configuration

> Any help would be appreciated.   I am a newbie, installing on a new system
> for learning purposes.

> System Config

> Asus P5A
> Amd K6-2
> Toshiba IDE Cdrom
> Western Digital 10.2 Gb IDE HD UDMA
> 128 mb Ram

> Thanks,

> Mahad

Sounds like a disk error.  Could be the controller, disk for cabling.
Check all connections, check BIOS config for disk, low level format the
disk (if you can, this will remove *ALL DATA* from the disk), try
another disk...

1. Please HELP: Trouble installing Corel/KDE/Debian/GNU/Linux

Hello,

I have tried to install the Corel LINUX CD Download version on my
computer and got all sorts of problems.  I have managed, in the past, to
successfully install Debian GNU/Linux and KDE on a computer with a
single Hard drive, and another with two hard drives.

This time I was trying to install the Corel version on my computer where
I had 2 hard drives: I wanted to keep Win98 running on the first one
while I installed Linux on its own Hard drive.  Despite past successes
with the Debian Installation, I decided to try the Corel version, since
it also used the Debian/KDE combo that I liked, to have less work
configuring the hardware...

Anyways, the installation went relatively well (althugh I couldn' t
allocate the whole hard disk space since the partitionning program
seemed to always allocate half of what I asked it to... and I coldn' t
ask for more than the total free space available).

When I had it installed, I found that although I had made the Windows
disk bootable (I intended to boot from Windows and use Loadlin to go to
Linux when I wanted... a combination that I found excellent in my older
1 HDD computer) and not the Linux Disk, LILO seemed to want to load, but
all I ever got was "LI"  written on the screen.

I then used a boot floppy that I had created by installing the basic  (7
floppy) Debian distribution, but although I do get KDE loaded and all,
the mouse doesn' t work no matter how much I played with the
"xmseconfig" program.  The mouse DID however work during the initial
graphical installation phase.

Since the Corel installation program has commandeered my windows HDD
boot, I haven't been able to boot Windows.  I managed a single DOS mode
boot using the Win98 rescue floppy, but couldn't read my CDROMs then,
nor load Windows proper.  When I tried to boot again, I discovered that
something had happened to my io.sys file on the floppy.  I've been stuck
without being able to even remotely pretend I could load Windows since
then.

What I'd like to know, if anyone can help me with that, is what the
installation program do to my Win98 disk to disable the Windows booting
sequence, and if there is any easy way to restore it the way it was.

I would also like to know how to get my mouse to work under Linux.  As
far as I know, it' s asimple Microsoft type (no brand) mouse connected
to the serial port.  I do believe I used all possible options in
xmseconfig without result.

I hopw someone will be able to help me.  This is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

        JAIS

2. Problem with dynamic multicast routers

3. HDD install trouble. Please help.

4. RCS in AFS

5. Trouble installing XFree 3.3.3.1 (please help)

6. UNIX WATCHER software?

7. install trouble PLEASE HELP!

8. Where can I find the lastest version of Linux

9. freebsd install trouble PLEASE HELP

10. Trouble installing XFree 3.3.3.1 (please help)

11. please please help, printer trouble!!!

12. please please help, printer trouble

13. HELP, Need help on Solaris 8, Please, Please