NIS , NFS and autofs

Post by Mr Lo Kai Cheo » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am going to setup a common /home directory for multiple Solaris machine.
I read the manual that we can use autofs feature.  However , I want to use
NIS and NFS together with the following configurations :-

        +-------+       +-------+       +-------+
        |Sun1   |       |Sun2   |       |Sun3   |
        +-------+       +-------+       +-------+
            |               |               |

Sun3 will share the /export directory to all with rw acces.
Sun1 and Sun2 will mount sun3 /export/home directory as the /home
directory.

Sun3 will be the NIS master server while sun1 and sun2 will be the NIS
client.  All the user information will be create under sun3 with the home
directory point to /home/user1, /home/user2.

Therefore, when user1 login Sun1, he will get his home directory at
/home/user1.  What is the difference of this setup with autofs function in
Solaris.  It seems that the configuration work for creating clients is
more easier.

What is your comments?

NIS , NFS and autofs

Post by Peter Edlun » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Well, it looks good. One thing though - instead of just mounting the
whole /export/home directory, why don't you use the automount in
combination with NIS?
ie. create an auto_home file in your NIS directory with all you users
homedirs in it:
foo_user    bar_machine:/export/home/foo_user

and then manipulate the /var/yp/Makefile to push the auto.master and
auto.home maps to your clients.

//Peter.
--------------------------------------
Peter Edlund
UNIX development engineer
Cap Gemini Sweden

Quote:

> I am going to setup a common /home directory for multiple Solaris machine.
> I read the manual that we can use autofs feature.  However , I want to use
> NIS and NFS together with the following configurations :-

1. Linux AMD/Autofs/NFS make Solaris2.5 NFS/NIS+ server crash, when using CSSC ...

to resume:
when we use the SCCS clone called CSSC (it it important),
on our Linux nodes using "amd" and "autofs" automounter
the solaris NIS and NFS server became non functional

detail:
on our network we had
- a big Solaris 2.5 NFS v3/v2 server, exporting many volume that are autmounted
- a Solaris NIS+ running in NIS compatibility mode,
  by the way it exports an auto.home NIS+ table
- many Solaris workstation that automount /home volumes from the servers
  according to local /etc/auto.home file, not the nis table . it also use
  a /net automount directory that contain the hosts on the networks
 and their exported volume

then we added Linux hosts (suse 6.0 and redhat 5.2) with
-amd from redhat 5.2,  or amd from Suse 5.3 for the suse nodes
 it automounts a /net directory that contain the hosts on the networks
 and their exported volume
-autofs that use the auto.master and auto.home NIS table to export.

this works most of the time, but
when I'm using the SCCS clone called CSSC
(maybe because of some lock on NFS ?)
the whole network hang on NFS volumes.

yet NIS and showmount seems OK
all mount do fail. since all is done through
automount I accuse the automounter but
maybe is it the NFS.

is this a known problem?

2. building BeroList

3. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

4. Newbie - where to start?

5. NIS, NFS and autofs

6. Telnet to Unix box

7. NIS + NFS + autofs

8. Kernel 2.4.18 + ext3 = filesystem corruption

9. using autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server

10. using autofs and nis with sun nis server

11. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?

12. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

13. problems w/ autofs and NIS