How do I access a Windows NT shared printer?

How do I access a Windows NT shared printer?

Post by Norb » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

After sharing on a multihomed Windows NT 4.0 Server a printer, I can't
access it through Solaris 2.5.1.

I tried to add it as follows:

admintool -> access printer -> printer name: hpdj600; server: nt40022!
hpdj600

nt40022: server
hpdj600: printer share name

I tried to access a Solaris Printer FAQ, but I can't reach it.

--
norb

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Martin Hepwort » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> After sharing on a multihomed Windows NT 4.0 Server a printer, I can't
> access it through Solaris 2.5.1.

> I tried to add it as follows:

> admintool -> access printer -> printer name: hpdj600; server: nt40022!
> hpdj600

> nt40022: server
> hpdj600: printer share name

> I tried to access a Solaris Printer FAQ, but I can't reach it.

> --
> norb

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

HI
you'll need to make sure you have an 'lpd' running on NT - I 'think'
there's one in the resource pack for NT, alternatively there's quite a
few on tucows or winfiles.

martin

Post by arthur_.. » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > After sharing on a multihomed Windows NT 4.0 Server a printer, I
can't
> > access it through Solaris 2.5.1.

> > I tried to add it as follows:

> > admintool -> access printer -> printer name: hpdj600; server:
nt40022!
> > hpdj600

> > nt40022: server
> > hpdj600: printer share name

> > I tried to access a Solaris Printer FAQ, but I can't reach it.

> > --
> > norb

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > Before you buy.

> HI
> you'll need to make sure you have an 'lpd' running on NT - I 'think'
> there's one in the resource pack for NT, alternatively there's quite a
> few on tucows or winfiles.

> martin

Well,
1st: you have to install "Microsoft TCP/IP Printing"
Go to Network properties and add the service.
The install will ask for the std NT4.0 CD.
and the machine will reboot :-)

2th: Its best to create a "new printer" on the NT machine to
your HP printer, So you can set it up for the unix print jobs.

3rd: Create you printer on the solatris box with lpadmin.
* the admintool (in 2.5.1), its buggy.
lpadmin -p tstpr_gen -s nt_machine!printer -T unknown -I any

From now on you are on your own!  :-P
I don't know how you are going to create the printjobs on your sun.
But the NT printer properies has some options to fidle with, and it
looks like it has its own will. Special the "print processor"
You will have to give this driver a hint how to handle your printjob.
You can do this with "lp command" (on your sun box) and the -T option
good luck.
/Arthur

Before you buy.