rsync replacement for rdist

Post by Denni » Fri, 03 Apr 1998 04:00:00

        After reading the "Datagrams" column in the March issue of SunExpert I
downloaded and compiled " rsync" on a Sun/Solaris-2.6 workstation .

(1) (using the gcc compiler) I ran "configure" (in the directory
created when I extracted the data with "tar") then,
(2) ran "/usr/ccs/bin/make" ( Is this the correct "make"?  I am an
absolute newbie when it comes to this, I try to find a package and use
pkgadd, but I couldn't find one this time.)
(3) I then ran " /usr/ccs/bin/make  install".

         Everything looked o.k., but when I try to use the utility

        Command:
                rsync -ravz  dir/file   mach:/dir

 I get the following error returned:

                protocol version mismatch - is your shell clean?

But I can use rsync to update directories on my local machne.

Related info ??
        Ever since I upgraded from Solaris 2.4, rcp has not worked.  Is this
related?, I think It could be.
        I'm have no clue.  I've searched in the news groups for rsync info and
found something related to a dirty shell. Since we, as a rule, don't
use a ksh shell, and rsync does, I assume it's using
/etc/skel/local.profile for its .profile file.
        I looked into SSH shell, but that looks like a whole new can-of-worms.

 Is there any hope?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

                                        Dennis G.

Post by David Richardso » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

>         After reading the "Datagrams" column in the March issue of SunExpert I
> downloaded and compiled " rsync" on a Sun/Solaris-2.6 workstation .

> (1) (using the gcc compiler) I ran "configure" (in the directory
> created when I extracted the data with "tar") then,
> (2) ran "/usr/ccs/bin/make" ( Is this the correct "make"?  I am an
> absolute newbie when it comes to this, I try to find a package and use
> pkgadd, but I couldn't find one this time.)
> (3) I then ran " /usr/ccs/bin/make  install".

>          Everything looked o.k., but when I try to use the utility

>         Command:
>                 rsync -ravz  dir/file   mach:/dir

>  I get the following error returned:

>                 protocol version mismatch - is your shell clean?

> But I can use rsync to update directories on my local machne.

> Related info ??
>         Ever since I upgraded from Solaris 2.4, rcp has not worked.  Is this
> related?, I think It could be.
>         I'm have no clue.  I've searched in the news groups for rsync info and
> found something related to a dirty shell. Since we, as a rule, don't
> use a ksh shell, and rsync does, I assume it's using
> /etc/skel/local.profile for its .profile file.
>         I looked into SSH shell, but that looks like a whole new can-of-worms.

>  Is there any hope?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

>                                         Dennis G.

  We had a similar problem with rdist like this. It ended up being a syntax error
in the .cshrc or .login file with the machine we were trying to rdist to.
Info. from man page:

DIAGNOSTICS
     A complaint about mismatch  of  rdist  version  numbers  may
     really  stem from some problem with starting your shell, for
     example, you are in too many groups.

I hope this helps
David R.

rsync replacement for rdist

Post by Thomas P. Brisc » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

While I've not used rsync (am a rdist person -- using ssh
underneath), you'll get similar messages from rdist if your
.login/.cshrc (or other shell startup config files) issue messages
to your terminal.  RSync (as I remember) does the equivalent of a
remote command under your own userid, so if there is "noise"
during your startup, that'll foul up the rsync protocol.
        Try doing a "rsh" (or similar) to the remote account
and make sure that there is no extraneous "noise" generated by
your login configs.

        - Tom

>         After reading the "Datagrams" column in the March issue of SunExpert I
> downloaded and compiled " rsync" on a Sun/Solaris-2.6 workstation .

> (1) (using the gcc compiler) I ran "configure" (in the directory
> created when I extracted the data with "tar") then,
> (2) ran "/usr/ccs/bin/make" ( Is this the correct "make"?  I am an
> absolute newbie when it comes to this, I try to find a package and use
> pkgadd, but I couldn't find one this time.)
> (3) I then ran " /usr/ccs/bin/make  install".

>          Everything looked o.k., but when I try to use the utility

>         Command:
>                 rsync -ravz  dir/file   mach:/dir

>  I get the following error returned:

>                 protocol version mismatch - is your shell clean?

> But I can use rsync to update directories on my local machne.

> Related info ??
>         Ever since I upgraded from Solaris 2.4, rcp has not worked.  Is this
> related?, I think It could be.
>         I'm have no clue.  I've searched in the news groups for rsync info and
> found something related to a dirty shell. Since we, as a rule, don't
> use a ksh shell, and rsync does, I assume it's using
> /etc/skel/local.profile for its .profile file.
>         I looked into SSH shell, but that looks like a whole new can-of-worms.

>  Is there any hope?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

>                                         Dennis G.

1. rsync replacement for rdist

[...]

2. Newbie requests perl script for add_user

3. RDIST, RSYNC or something else? replication

4. Netscape server User Databases???

5. Best tool to distribute files (rdist, rsync, cfengine)

6. Tuxracer slow?

7. Stock Solaris rdist vs rsync

8. Help: Slow X-server (Mach64, Debian)

9. rdist and rsync

10. LDAP replacement with Rsync

11. rdist replacement with special

12. rdist: can't get rdist working ... permission denied

13. How to get log file for rsync operation? Does rsync also delete remote files?