Help: What controls number of files a user can open (file open command)?

Help: What controls number of files a user can open (file open command)?

Post by Nish » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:08:17

Group,

I have a script which analyzes certain source files (.c) and opens an
HTML file for
each source file in a separate directory. These HTML files have some
code coverage
(CFLOW) information.

I have a Tcl script that opens a C source file, analyzes it and then
opens a New HTML file and
dumps information into it.

When I run this Tcl script under my user ID, I am able to run the script
to completion. However,
if any other user (authorized to run the script), runs my script, Tcl
bails out with an error message
saying : Too many Open files !!

My question is why does this work with my user ID but not with other
user IDs ? Is there a parameter/
environment variable that controls the number of simultaneous open
files/file handles a given user
can have ? Is it shell dependant ? I use "zsh" whereas other users use
bash / ksh / csh etc.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this as this is
a long standing issue I am
trying to solve.

Thanks

Regards
Nishi

Help: What controls number of files a user can open (file open command)?

Post by Joe Blogg » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 04:50:43

Quote:> Group,

> I have a script which analyzes certain source files (.c) and opens an
> HTML file for
> each source file in a separate directory. These HTML files have some
> code coverage
> (CFLOW) information.

> I have a Tcl script that opens a C source file, analyzes it and then
> opens a New HTML file and
> dumps information into it.

> When I run this Tcl script under my user ID, I am able to run the script
> to completion. However,
> if any other user (authorized to run the script), runs my script, Tcl
> bails out with an error message
> saying : Too many Open files !!

> My question is why does this work with my user ID but not with other
> user IDs ? Is there a parameter/
> environment variable that controls the number of simultaneous open
> files/file handles a given user
> can have ? Is it shell dependant ? I use "zsh" whereas other users use
> bash / ksh / csh etc.

> I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this as this is
> a long standing issue I am
> trying to solve.

> Thanks

> Regards
> Nishi

ulimit ?

Post by Thomas H Jones » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:45:10

>My question is why does this work with my user ID but not with other
>user IDs ? Is there a parameter/
>environment variable that controls the number of simultaneous open
>files/file handles a given user
>can have ? Is it shell dependant ? I use "zsh" whereas other users use
>bash / ksh / csh etc.

You fail to tell us what your userid is and what `ulimit -n` shows for
your environment or your other users' environment.

-tom
--

"You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer."  --me

1. OpenWin Filemgr: 'cannot open file: too many files open' ?

Here's a strange problem with the FileManager in Solaris 2.3.  The
only way to fix it right now is to restart the file manager over.

 When double-clicking on a text file, file manager is set-up to
 start textedit on that file.  I quit textedit.  I double-click
 on a text file again.  And I quit again textedit.  I can do that
 approximately 54 times.  After that, you can't open any file or
 change directory within FileManager.

Does anybody know if this is a configuration problem or a bug ?
And if it's a bug, is there any patch for it ?

Thanks

Hugo Frappier
Montreal

2. changing others' limits

3. Open File Manager (open file backup) for Linux?

4. -stable - any problems reported ?

5. is there a limit by user to the number of file handlers open?

6. xmeter

7. number of files open per user

8. vold for NetBSD

9. Open multiple files with open() from stdin.PLEASE HELP

10. How can I tuning Max process number and open file number on Sun Solaris 7(Intel)???

11. Command to list processes with open files on a mounted file system ?

12. Open File Limit of 20 files per user on PLEXUS

13. Number of opened file descriptors ? HELP !