Can Solaris 7 recognise hard disk larger than 8GB?

Can Solaris 7 recognise hard disk larger than 8GB?

Post by IHUG » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi, there

I am trying to install the free version of Solaris 7 on my Abit BP6 dual
Celeron 366 system. Firstly Solaris couldn't find the second EIDE bus on
which my CDROM drive was connected since I have already got two hard disk
drive on the first channel.  The problem was temporarily solved by remove
one of the hd and move CDROM drive to the first channel as a slave drive.

I wanted to install Solaris on my Seagate 13GB hard disk drive. There is
about 3GB un-partitioned space left on the drive. However no matter what I
setup in the BIOS (large or LBA) Solaris could only find either 7.5GB (large
mode) or 8.2GB (LBA mode) space. Therefore there is no way of creating a
partition for Solaris installation.

Does anyone know if Solaris 7 support hard disk drive larger than 8GB? If it
does then how can I create a partition on it for Solaris 7?

Regards.

Geoff.

Can Solaris 7 recognise hard disk larger than 8GB?

Post by ANDREW KOSTUY » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi !

Start with FLASH for  Abit - first test if your BIOS  realy could run
more than 8,4 Gb HDD IDE on any OS - no differ
Solaris run well on 13 -16 Gb or more but if PC BIOS realy could run with it

Cheers
Andy

Quote:> Hi, there

> I am trying to install the free version of Solaris 7 on my Abit BP6 dual
> Celeron 366 system. Firstly Solaris couldn't find the second EIDE bus on
> which my CDROM drive was connected since I have already got two hard disk
> drive on the first channel.  The problem was temporarily solved by remove
> one of the hd and move CDROM drive to the first channel as a slave drive.

> I wanted to install Solaris on my Seagate 13GB hard disk drive. There is
> about 3GB un-partitioned space left on the drive. However no matter what I
> setup in the BIOS (large or LBA) Solaris could only find either 7.5GB
(large
> mode) or 8.2GB (LBA mode) space. Therefore there is no way of creating a
> partition for Solaris installation.

> Does anyone know if Solaris 7 support hard disk drive larger than 8GB? If
it
> does then how can I create a partition on it for Solaris 7?

> Regards.

> Geoff.

Can Solaris 7 recognise hard disk larger than 8GB?

Post by Ken May » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Let's see...

The Boot partition is limited to 8GB. The OS is limited to the
BIOS (correct me, Sun PSO). I asked this to someone before
when I was looking at Seagate Barricuda 50GB drives (ST150176LC). Its
geometry is: HDS:22, CYL:12024,TRK:264528,DSK:11.

I was trying to test this against Linus v2.2.12 and Solaris 7 (8/99).
Sun mentions that the boot limitation will be removed in future releases
(Solaris 8).

Let me know what you find out that differs.

Ken

Quote:> Hi, there

Post by Philip Bro » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Hi !

>Start with FLASH for  Abit - first test if your BIOS  realy could run
>more than 8,4 Gb HDD IDE on any OS - no differ
>Solaris run well on 13 -16 Gb or more but if PC BIOS realy could run with it

Actually, I've just been digging around in the ATA spec. While the BIOS often
is limited to 8 gig, i don't see why that should matter. The BIOS should just
be used for BOOTING. As long as that stuff is in the first XXX sectors,
why should that be a problem?

Meanwhile, I'm betting that sun's drivers are being lazy, and only using
the first 24 bits of the addressing spec. ATA supports up to **28** bits
for sector numbering. 28^2 * 512 == 128 gigabytes, I think.
Whereas 24^2 * 512 == 8192 megabytes == 8 gigs
So in theory, having solaris support larger-than-8-gig drives, should be
a trivial driver patch.

Heck, at this point, I could do it myself, if I had the source :-)

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Juergen Marend » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, there

> I am trying to install the free version of Solaris 7 on my Abit BP6 dual
> Celeron 366 system. Firstly Solaris couldn't find the second EIDE bus on
> which my CDROM drive was connected since I have already got two hard disk
> drive on the first channel.  The problem was temporarily solved by remove
> one of the hd and move CDROM drive to the first channel as a slave drive.

> I wanted to install Solaris on my Seagate 13GB hard disk drive. There is
> about 3GB un-partitioned space left on the drive. However no matter what I
> setup in the BIOS (large or LBA) Solaris could only find either 7.5GB (large
> mode) or 8.2GB (LBA mode) space. Therefore there is no way of creating a
> partition for Solaris installation.

> Does anyone know if Solaris 7 support hard disk drive larger than 8GB? If it
> does then how can I create a partition on it for Solaris 7?

> Regards.

> Geoff.

> > i currently have problems isntalling a IBM DTTA351680 as seconde hard
> > disk in my x86 Soalris 7 system.
> > It is set up as the primary (and only) device on the second IDE
> > Controller.
> > It is found by "format" ater the reconfig. reboot.
> > But format...fdisk has problems reading/writing to the disk,
> > and it display the geometry incorrectly as
> > 16379+2 cyl 16 HD 63 sec.
> > i think there should be 32760 cyl (bios works with this values !)

> CMDK

> Solution:

> After reading format, fmthard and fdisk man pages,
> i wrote a file s-geom:

> 16380 16378 2 0 32 63 512

> Then i did
> fdisk -S s-geom -I /dev/rdsk/c1d0p0
> and created a Solaris-Fdisk-Partition.
> Then i did
> format on it,
> partitioned it,
> made filesystems, etc.
> and it worked in the way i know.

> (also after shutdown, power off, power on, boot :-)

> The trick is to let fdisk ignore the geometry reported by ? BIOS ?
> (option -i)
> and overwrite it with a fake geometry fitting the hard disk.

> What are the numbers in s-geom from?
> 16380 # cylinders
> 32    # heads
> 63    # sectors/cyl
> from the bios setup for the IDE Disk

> 2 alternate cylinders
> 16378 = cylinders - alternate cylinders
> 512 Bytes per sector
> 0 offset from beginning of the hard disk

> Hope this helps others,

Juergen Marenda.
--

1. Coral Linux must install within the first 8GB in the hard disk partition?

With a hard disk of 10GB partition into primary (4GB) and extended (4GB) for
Win98, it seem that i cannot  install Coral Linux on the remaining 2GB free
space. Only when i delete the extended partition and make Linux takes that
partition and total partition size of both does not exceed 8G that it start
to install smoothly. Strange .... could it be the BIOS setting for the hard
disk set to LARGE instead of NORMAL or LBA? Or is it Linux limitation?

2. NT to BSD migration issues

3. HELP needed: installing 16.8GB IBM DTTA-311680 hard disk

4. wanted information on QIC-40/QIC-80 tape drives.

5. HELP: DOS boot disk does not recognize my hard disk!!!

6. Communication in Application Builder

7. Linux on hard disk larger than 8.4 gb?

8. fdisk to increase /usr

9. linux fdisk & hard disk larger than 8.4G

10. How can I move my system to a larger hard disk

11. adding drive larger than 8Gb to PCI Pentium 100MHz m/board

12. Linux (SuSE 5.2) reading HD larger than 8GB?