firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by jsb_ » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:27:49

Hello,

    I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays the
    firmware serial number on
    a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
    b. IBM,7026-H70
    c. HP, 9000/800/L1000-44

Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical disk
    serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

Thanks in advance for your help.

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by Scott Howar » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:06:15

Quote:> Hello,

>    I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

> Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays the
>    firmware serial number on
>    a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

Perhaps if you could explain what you mean by "firmware serial number" we
might be able to help?

If you mean firmware version, "prtdiag -v" will show it.  If you mean the
system serial number, then no, you can not get it programatically.

  Scott.

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:58:49

Quote:> Hello,

>     I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

> Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays the
>     firmware serial number on
>     a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

Not sure what you mean by "firmware serial number".  The unique-per-system
ID number can be obtained with "hostid", /usr/sbin/sysdef -h, and in a
program by gethostid(3c) or by the SI_HW_SERIAL command of sysinfo(2)
(except that the latter will be an ASCII string representing the number
in decimal rather than hexadecimal).  The firmware _version_, OTOH, can
be obtained by /usr/sbin/prtconf -V or /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v;
the latter will provide lots of other information, and may also provide the
POST (PROM power-on diagnostics) version as well.

Quote:>     b. IBM,7026-H70
>     c. HP, 9000/800/L1000-44

> Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical disk
>     serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

No idea about the non-Sun systems, although both vendors probably have
online documentation, i.e. in addition to

http://docs.sun.com/

there's also

http://docs.hp.com/

and

http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/public/applications/publications/cgi...

(btw, on Suns, disk serial numbers may be obtained with iostat -E, at least
on newer versions of Solaris)

--

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by H?kan Ekdah » Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:41:37

Quote:> Hello,

>     I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

> Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which
displays the
>     firmware serial number on
>     a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
>     b. IBM,7026-H70

For AIX the answer is:

lscfg -vp |grep -p System:

Give you output like (system is an H50 serial number is 44-50118)
      System:
        Machine/Cabinet Serial No...4450118
        Machine Type and Model......7026-H50
        Product Specific.(ZP).......2
        Manufacture ID..............1980
        Version.....................RS6K
      Physical Location: L1

The command can be run by any user.

HTH
/HE

Post by Walt Howa » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:59:33

>> Hello,

>>     I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

>> Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays
>> the
>>     firmware serial number on
>>     a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
>>     b. IBM,7026-H70
>>     c. HP, 9000/800/L1000-44

>I think all the Solaris utilities that give this information run as
>root, so the answer to this question is no.

>> Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical disk
>>     serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

>The only application that I vaguely recall giving any sort of disk
>information was lanscan(?).  This is from 10.x days.  Never tried it on
>11.  It may also require root.

I think it's ioscan.  Lanscan is for the ethernet interfaces.
HP-UX also used to have a "scsiinfo" which would query the device controller.
Some controllers keep a copy of the serial number.

Post by Matti Juhani Kurkel » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:55:57

> >> Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical
> >>     disk serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

> >The only application that I vaguely recall giving any sort of disk
> >information was lanscan(?).  This is from 10.x days.  Never tried it on
> >11.  It may also require root.

> I think it's ioscan.  Lanscan is for the ethernet interfaces.
> HP-UX also used to have a "scsiinfo" which would query the device controller.
> Some controllers keep a copy of the serial number.

"diskinfo -v" would be even better. Diskinfo will show some
information that isn't available for ioscan.

--

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by jsb_ » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:32:54

The first question I got it wrong.

I mean, the BIOS serial number on Sun SPARC, IBM RISC and HP.

> > Hello,

> >    I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

> > Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays the
> >    firmware serial number on
> >    a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

> Perhaps if you could explain what you mean by "firmware serial number" we
> might be able to help?

> If you mean firmware version, "prtdiag -v" will show it.  If you mean the
> system serial number, then no, you can not get it programatically.

>   Scott.

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by pagl » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:23:45

It Hp comes factory installed you might get serial number from :

/opt/ignite/bin/print_manifest

> Hello,

>     I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

> Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays the
>     firmware serial number on
>     a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
>     b. IBM,7026-H70
>     c. HP, 9000/800/L1000-44

> Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical disk
>     serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

> Thanks in advance for your help.

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by shoe » Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:34:19

/usr/sbin/eeprom
        system-board-serial#=5015606122997
/usr/bin/hostid
         gives the Sun Unique hostid - used by many software vendors for
        licensing

The above can be down without super user priv.

> Hello,

>     I am stuck with this. Can experts help with the following queries?

> Q1. Is there any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) which displays the
>     firmware serial number on
>     a. sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
>     b. IBM,7026-H70
>     c. HP, 9000/800/L1000-44

> Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical disk
>     serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

> Thanks in advance for your help.

firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

Post by Stephen Hoope » Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:12:53

Quote:>> Q2. Any command (run by a non-superuser preferably) to procure physical disk
>>     serial number on HP-UX B.11.11

stm (mstm) gives the disks serial number (and will also give you the
machines serial number on newer machines).