windows customization

Post by & Maassen van den Bri » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

Recently, Solaris 2.4 was installed from scratch on my Sparcstation, which
previously ran twm on top of a generic X11R5 and SunOS 4.1.3. I'm now trying to
configure the system to my taste, and ran across the following questions.

*At the moment, to get the proper local time on my clock I have to select the
time zone GMT-3, whereas it should be MET in the Netherlands, I believe. This
is really something which my system manager should get fixed, but has anyone
a tip on how to install the clock properly?

*When I start textedit, cmdtool etc. from the command prompt I get the message
`/usr/bin/mach: Command not found' (mach appears to be in /usr/ucb), after
which the start-up script terminates. At the moment I aliased the commands to
the binaries, just as is done in the default root menu. This works OK, but why
aren't things working in the standard setup?

*When I start up a shelltool the term variable gets the value sun-cmd. Isn't
this the proper value only for a cmdtool, whereas it should be sun for
shelltool? Computers from other vendors never know what to do with sun-cmd.

*When I run DeskSet applications alongside programs running on non-SUN
workstations with mwm installed, the behaviour of copy-paste is a * mix of
OpenWindows (with the copy and paste keys) and mwm (left mouse button selects
and copies, middle button pastes) styles. Is there a simple way to improve
this?

*I do not manage to give custom icons to closed applications for which this was
no problem under twm. Why doesn't specifying the Icon.Pixmap resource work for
me?

*Why has the `full size' option in the window menu been made to work like `full
height'? For instance for the clock this is really silly. Can I work around
this?

*Can I make an item in my workspace menu which first executes a shell command,
and then the olwm command EXIT? This was no problem under twm!

*Although my system manager reportedly installed everything on the Solaris CD,
the /usr/demo and /usr/games directories are all but empty. Is one supposed to
pay for the contents, or, if not, how can I obtain them from the CD or
elsewhere?

*The command tool does not cooperate well with the tcsh, which is my default:
both programs interpret cursor keys in incompatible ways. I can start a
`cmdtool -program /bin/(c)sh', but then I lose e.g. file name completion.
At the moment, if I want both a tcsh and a scroll-bar I must resort to the
generic xterm (which by the way has this scroll-bar inconveniently placed on
the left side), and thus lose the edit facility.

*My home directory is on an IBM workstation named string. When starting up the
file manager I repeatedly get the message `string: RPC: Program not registered'
in my console window. Why are there RPC-calls to string? This machine should be
only an NFS server.

As I am not a frequent reader of this newsgroup, please send any answers you

Alec Maassen van den Brink

1. window manager customization

I have RedHat 5.1 and am now using Xwindows with the fvwm2 (windows 95
look).  That's nice but I would now like to customize the way the menu's
work.  Can someone point me at documentation for doing this?  It looks
like it was written in something called m4?  If the answer is learn and
write in m4 then it's not quite drag and drop configurable.
I would like to know where docs for configuring several of the window
managers are:
afterstep
fvwm2
etc.

thanks  Wendell Nichols

2. Max Swap size?

3. customization of window menu

4. Prob. installing Infomagic Debian?

5. X Window problem on customization.

6. Is there a Java Interpreter for BSD?

7. Afterstep customization...

8. Who maintains menuconfig ?

9. login / customization

10. KDM Login Screen Customization

11. Csh prompt customisation

12. Mouse pointer customisation - KDE menus

13. keyboard customization in X