Dterror Logout

Post by Yodi » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:25:33

Hello all,
I have been searching all over and still have yet to find the answer to
my problem.  I have created a Security Banner with the dterror.ds but
what I would like to happen is I would like to be able to
logout(returning to the login window)from this point.  I have tried
exit session, killing the session and a host of other things.  Can
anyone help.  Or is there a better way to display the security banner
with something like xmessage.  I am at a loss.  I have the banner
displaying after the user logs in with /usr/dt/bin/dterror.ds (created
a file of my own called mydterror.ds) that I am using with /etc/motd.

Dterror Logout

Post by Michael Tosc » Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:51:44

> Hello all,
> I have been searching all over and still have yet to find the answer to
> my problem.  I have created a Security Banner with the dterror.ds but
> what I would like to happen is I would like to be able to
> logout(returning to the login window)from this point.  I have tried
> exit session, killing the session and a host of other things.  Can
> anyone help.  Or is there a better way to display the security banner
> with something like xmessage.  I am at a loss.  I have the banner
> displaying after the user logs in with /usr/dt/bin/dterror.ds (created
> a file of my own called mydterror.ds) that I am using with /etc/motd.

The CDE standard logout command is

/usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession

I dont see how this is related to xmessage or dterror.ds - they do not
spawn a shell command.
xmessage returns distinct exit codes though, so when called from
a shell, the shell then can invoke the above command dependent on
the exit code.

--

Dterror Logout

Post by Yodi » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:46:11

But the problem I am having with /usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession is it
calls for the logout confirmation box which does not seem to be able to
work at this point in the login process.  using the exit codes for
dtksh either 1 or 0 just allows the user to continue on to their
session.  Okay here is what I did... when the user logs in at the
welcome screen my security banner pops up giving all kinds of official
blah blah blah and it also states for them to log off immediately if
they don't comply.  I called ExitSession and received an error (I
leaning towards it complaining about a tooltalk callback for Exit
Session).  But what I want is when they click on the logout button for
it to return to the login screen.
I am not sure if it is possible with dterror or xmessage.

Dterror Logout

Post by Michael Tosc » Sat, 06 Aug 2005 05:24:03

> But the problem I am having with /usr/dt/bin/dtaction ExitSession is it
> calls for the logout confirmation box which does not seem to be able to
> work at this point in the login process.  using the exit codes for
> dtksh either 1 or 0 just allows the user to continue on to their
> session.  Okay here is what I did... when the user logs in at the
> welcome screen my security banner pops up giving all kinds of official
> blah blah blah and it also states for them to log off immediately if
> they don't comply.  I called ExitSession and received an error (I
> leaning towards it complaining about a tooltalk callback for Exit
> Session).  But what I want is when they click on the logout button for
> it to return to the login screen.
> I am not sure if it is possible with dterror or xmessage.

Then run the command

kill -1 -1

But do not run this option when logging in as root!

--

Dterror Logout

Post by Yodi » Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:50:23

Thank you for your help.  That did the trick.