NIS+ Server Istall on Solaris

Post by 000 » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

We have installed a NIS+ Server on Solaris (didn't we ?)
nisserver -r -d domainname
This goes right and then ?

We want to setup new Users and/or want to use the Users from normal
passwd-file.

As the next step we want to setup a second NIS+ Server which should be a
client from the first.

How should we do it ?

Thanks for help !

NIS+ Server Istall on Solaris

Post by Bret Morri » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We have installed a NIS+ Server on Solaris (didn't we ?)
> nisserver -r -d domainname
> This goes right and then ?

> We want to setup new Users and/or want to use the Users from normal
> passwd-file.

> As the next step we want to setup a second NIS+ Server which should be a
> client from the first.

> How should we do it ?

All the above requests are available with NIS+ but is too complicated to
discuss here.

Purchase 'All about administering NIS+' by Rick Ramsey. This can be
purchased from http://www.sun.com/books/catalog/

Bret.

1. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

Hi all
   I am new to NIS world and I am trying to connect a NIS client (RH
8.0) to a Solaris 2.8 NIS server and having mount and NIS login
problems.

   I am following Linux documentation project NIS How-to and
http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-adv/nis.htm.

   I have done the following:
   a. Set up NIS server to recognize the linux IP and hostname. (done
by someone else).  NIS server runs in NIS (YP) mode.
   b. Changed nsswitch.conf
      passwd:     compat files nis
      shadow:     compat files nis
      group:      compat files nis

      hosts:      nis files dns
   c. changed resolv.conf to add domain and nameserver IP address
      Able to ping NIS server by DNS name.
   d. modified /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.nfs
   e. Ran authconfig - /etc/sysconfig/network looks fine
   f. /etc/hosts.conf - order hosts,bind,nis
   g. /etc/hosts - Added DNS-IP address of the NIS server and the
linux host
   h. Changed /etc/passwd and /etc/group and /etc/shadow
   i. Started NIS related client daemons. Ran chkconfig to save.

   Now, after reboot, login and mounts does not work.

   1. ypwhich shows the NIS server's DNS name (fully-qualified)
   2. ypcat passwd shows error
      No such map passwd.byname. Reason: Can't bind to server which
serves this domain
   3. rpcinfo -p localhost outputs:
    program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  32768  status
    100024    1   tcp  32768  status
    100007    2   udp    914  ypbind
    100007    1   udp    914  ypbind
    100007    2   tcp    917  ypbind
    100007    1   tcp    917  ypbind
    391002    2   tcp  32769  sgi_fam
    100009    1   udp   1020  yppasswdd

Any help is deeply appreciated
Thanks
Sri

2. Pentium II & Adaptec 3940 Compatability

3. Solaris 2.7 NIS client cannot log onto RHL62 NIS server

4. KDE 3.0 Transparency and Menus

5. HPUX NIS Client connecting to SOLARIS NIS Server

6. PCMCIA ATA CARDS

7. Solaris 8 Nis+ server and RH Linux 7.3 Nis+ client ---- Problems and Questions

8. profile=x broken in 2.5?

9. linux NIS client not binding to Solaris NIS+ server

10. Solaris 2.3 w/NIS+ Upgrade to 2.5 w/ NIS+ (Master Server)?

11. HP NIS Client to Solaris NIS+ Server.

12. Linux nis client with solaris nis server in C2 security mode

13. linux nis server solaris nis client?