Sharing SFW directory over NFS w/solaris 9

Sharing SFW directory over NFS w/solaris 9

Post by Matt » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:16:46

I would like to share the Sun Freeware directory across a cluster of several
Solaris 9 machines via NFS... in this way, I can update the freeware on one
machine, and have it availible for all the others without having to do the
installation/updates everywhere.

I have found a few problems with symlinking the sfw directory to point to an
NFS volume tho, it gets overwritten with a real directory everytime I install
software on the machine, rather than installing it to the network location.

There has to be a better way of doing this - can anyone share their
ideas/solutions?  Thanks!

Matt

Post by Oscar del Ri » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:17:59

> I have found a few problems with symlinking the sfw directory to point
> to an
> NFS volume tho, it gets overwritten with a real directory everytime I
> install software on the machine, rather than installing it to the
> network location.

make /opt/sfw a mount point instead of a symlink, at least
for the machine where you do the installs.