elxl driver installation without reboot

Post by dea.. » Wed, 22 Mar 2000 04:00:00

As part of my current job I inherited responsibility for running some
Intel solaris systems on Compaq 1600R hardware. The boxes themselves
have had a second NIC added but never configured. These cards use the
elxl driver.

Now the problem. I've just rebooted the two machines to get them to
register the cards, not a task I can really do again as they run very
high traffic web sites and it tends to annoy rather a lot of people.

One of the boxes has detected the card quite happily, the other didn't.
The reason, I discovered, being a lack of driver in /kernel/drv.

So is there anyway of configuring this card without a reboot, and if not
do I just have to copy the drivers into /kernel/drv or will I need to
add the driver to a list somewhere ?

Thanks

Dean Smith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

elxl driver installation without reboot

Post by Frederic Woodbrid » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>One of the boxes has detected the card quite happily, the other
>didn't. The reason, I discovered, being a lack of driver in
>/kernel/drv.

What version of Solaris are you running?  Solaris 2.6/7?  The drivers
for elxl will only show up in 2.6 after installing certain patches.
They can be found on Sun's soldc.sun.com web page.

HTH

Fred

elxl driver installation without reboot

Post by John Verderbe » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi There
    I now I am not answering your question with this reply, but I am having
troubel configuring that driver myself. I am running a 3Com 905 but it
doesn't seem to want to configure. Could you tell me how you configured at
least the first NIC using the elxl driver.
Thanks
John