x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

Post by Don Woodwar » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I can't get vold to recognize when a CD is inserted into my SOLARIS 7 x86
system. I have checked and "vold" is running - I can insert a floppy disk
and do a "volcheck" and the floppy is recognized. On my IPC with SOLARIS 7
SPARC system - the CD is recognized and mounted as soon as I insert it.

The CD drive is a "Creative Labs CD drive (model HITACHI CDR-7730)" and is
connected to an IDE card. There is a "Sound Blaster" audio card in the
system but I haven't used it in SOLARIS yet, but it is also recognized - I
see it when I run "dmesg".

I have tried stopping "vold" with "/etc/rc2.d/S92volmgt stop" and manually
mounting the CD but I'm not sure of the device name, I believe this is it,
but here's what I get:

        or the allowable number of mount points has been exceeded

What am I doing wrong?

Don Woodward

x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

Post by Bruce Adle » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The CD drive is a "Creative Labs CD drive (model HITACHI CDR-7730)" and is
> connected to an IDE card. There is a "Sound Blaster" audio card in the
> system but I haven't used it in SOLARIS yet, but it is also recognized - I
> see it when I run "dmesg".

Some SB-IDE cards aren't ATA-2 compliant. Creative Labs decided to save a
penny's worth of silicon by not implementing the Alternate Status register
in some versions of their ATA/IDE controller chip.  The Solaris ata driver
requires that both the Status and Alternate Status registers be correctly
implemented in order to talk to the attached drive(s).

x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

Post by Don Woodwar » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, but my CD is connected to a IDE card and not to the Sound Blaster
card - perhaps it suffers the same fate as the Sound Blaster.

-- Don Woodward

Quote:

> Some SB-IDE cards aren't ATA-2 compliant. Creative Labs decided to save a
> penny's worth of silicon by not implementing the Alternate Status register
> in some versions of their ATA/IDE controller chip.  The Solaris ata driver
> requires that both the Status and Alternate Status registers be correctly
> implemented in order to talk to the attached drive(s).

x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

Post by Don Woodwar » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Problem solved - since the system was a 486 with an IDE card, I replaced it
with a Pentium motherboard that was given to me. The Pentium board had
onboard IDE controllers which fixed the problem.

Thanks to Bruce Adler who tipped me off to the SOLARIS IDE problems.

-- Don Woodward

> I can't get vold to recognize when a CD is inserted into my SOLARIS 7 x86
> system. I have checked and "vold" is running - I can insert a floppy disk
> and do a "volcheck" and the floppy is recognized. On my IPC with SOLARIS 7
> SPARC system - the CD is recognized and mounted as soon as I insert it.

> The CD drive is a "Creative Labs CD drive (model HITACHI CDR-7730)" and is
> connected to an IDE card. There is a "Sound Blaster" audio card in the
> system but I haven't used it in SOLARIS yet, but it is also recognized - I
> see it when I run "dmesg".

> I have tried stopping "vold" with "/etc/rc2.d/S92volmgt stop" and manually
> mounting the CD but I'm not sure of the device name, I believe this is it,
> but here's what I get:

>         or the allowable number of mount points has been exceeded

> What am I doing wrong?

> Don Woodward

1. Sol2.4 vold doesn't recognize CDs anymore

This is a problem I've noticed occasionally.  vold doesn't seem to
recognize CD's inserted into the drive!  Neither data CDs nor music
CDs.  I can still 'check for floppy' and that works fine.  Here are some
error messages that I've seen on the console recently:

---

grater%

        polled command timeout: current esp state:
esp:            State=SELECT Last State=FREE
esp:            Latched stat=0x90<IPND,XZERO> intr=0x20<DISC> fifo 0x80
esp:            last msg out: IDENTIFY; last msg in: DISCONNECT
esp:            DMA csr=0xa6240210<EN,INTEN>
esp:            addr=fc01f728 dmacnt=0 last=fc01f728 last_cnt=9
esp:            Cmd dump for Target 3 Lun 0:
esp:            cdblen=6, cdb=[ 0xa 0x0 0xa3 0x80 0x8 0x0 ]
esp:            pkt_state=0x0 pkt_flags=0x4000 pkt_statistics=0x0
esp:            cmd_flags=0x10c22 cmd_timeout=60

        Connected command timeout for Target 3.0

        SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout': retrying command

        SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

        SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

        logical unit not ready

grater%

----

Thu, Jul 27 1995

        disk not responding to selection

---

Especially the last one - that's what happens when I insert the CD-ROM
into the machine.

BTW, this machine is running Solaris 2.4 with kernel patch -23 and has
a bunch of varied patches (graphics, imaging, vold, security etc.)
Rebooting the machine hasn't helped.  The SCSI bus on this machine has
a 2x2.1GB Sun external disk, a 4mm Sun tape drive and a CD-ROM, with
a terminator on the CDROM.

Please use e-mail to reply and I will summarize if needed.  Thanks.

--

WEB URL: http://www.csee.usf.edu/~gohel/
Digital Medical Imaging Program (DMIP)

2. what is spinlock_t

3. x86 vold doesn't find cd-rom

4. apache not finding doc's

5. Solaris 2.4 x86 Install - Doesn't recognize CD

6. ppp and SUID

7. Booted from CD but install doesn't recognize the CDROM!

8. Apache and ColdFusion Server on Solaris

9. RH 5.0 boot disk doesn't recognize CD-ROM; what to do?

10. RH 6.0 boot.img doesn't recognize CD-ROM on DeskPro XL

11. "find" doesn't descend from top level of vold mounted CD

12. 'workman' in Solaris 2.5.1 x86 not recognizing cds.

13. Help - RH Linux doesn't recognize my CD-ROM