Any way to increase size of / partition w/o re-initializing?

Any way to increase size of / partition w/o re-initializing?

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> ?>>try "growfs".  I've never done it myself, but I've heard it works fine.
> ?>>I think the process is - unmount / (boot from floppy?), repartition to
> ?>>expand the partition, then growfs to expand th / fs.
> ?
> ?growfs is part of the Solstice Disk Suite product and is not a
> ?part of the core OS.

> However, /usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs has undocumented -G (grow) and -M (work on a
> mounted partition) flags.  (I hear that that's exactly what "growfs" calls.

> I used it the other day on my mounted /usr, and it worked fine.
> I'll assume that everyone is correct that it won't work on / though.

Make sure (by swap -l) you haven't got any swap files created or mounted on the
partition you are expanding, or you'll definitely crash the machine with a nice
panic message.  I know -- I did it (ouch).

You can always create new swap space elsewhere and remove any offending swap
files with swap -a and swap -d options (I don't know if it is raw swap...)

--

Best Regards,

Brian Craigie

Unix Sys Admin

My views are not necessarily those of my employers...

<<< Would sixty gallons be sufficient? -- Robby the Robot >>>

Post by Davin Mil » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

?>>try "growfs".  I've never done it myself, but I've heard it works fine.
?>>I think the process is - unmount / (boot from floppy?), repartition to
?>>expand the partition, then growfs to expand th / fs.
?
?growfs is part of the Solstice Disk Suite product and is not a
?part of the core OS.

However, /usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs has undocumented -G (grow) and -M (work on a
mounted partition) flags.  (I hear that that's exactly what "growfs" calls.

I used it the other day on my mounted /usr, and it worked fine.
I'll assume that everyone is correct that it won't work on / though.

To use it, first increase the size of the slice in the partition table (by
extending the end) using format.  Then do:

YMMV.
I'd definitely back up any important data before doing this!

Davin.
--

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

Post by Ian G. Crozie » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Thanks to all the folks who've posted and emailed suggestions regarding my
>question, particularly the info on the Solstice Disk Suite "growfs"
>command, and the -MF options within "mkfs".  I've concluded that my
>best/safest option is just to reinstall w/ a larger root partition.  I'll
>probably try to get a larger internal drive for my Voyager first, and then
>do everything in one shot.

>thanks again,

>kirk

Consider just making one large / filesystem. Instead of having separate
partitions for the other directories. I did it when I loaded Solaris 2.5 and
it works just great. I have one 1.5gb filesystem. Hopefully that will be
large enough for at least 2.6 and 2.7 when they are released.

Anybody have any reasons not to do it this way?

Post by Ling Wan » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > >Thanks to all the folks who've posted and emailed suggestions regarding my
> > >question, particularly the info on the Solstice Disk Suite "growfs"
> > >command, and the -MF options within "mkfs".  I've concluded that my
> > >best/safest option is just to reinstall w/ a larger root partition.  I'll
> > >probably try to get a larger internal drive for my Voyager first, and then
> > >do everything in one shot.

> > >thanks again,

> > >kirk

> > Consider just making one large / filesystem. Instead of having separate
> > partitions for the other directories. I did it when I loaded Solaris 2.5 and
> > it works just great. I have one 1.5gb filesystem. Hopefully that will be
> > large enough for at least 2.6 and 2.7 when they are released.

> > Anybody have any reasons not to do it this way?

> This has been discussed many times but i never added my 2 cents worth.

> Ive noticed it can become a problem when booting the system after an
> unscheduled shutdown.

> It takes alot longer for the fsck passes to finish.

> Peter Marelas

And from my experience, there seem to be frequent need
of manual intervention after a crash or improper reboot
in single user mode because root fs needs fsck'ing.
This becomes a big hassle when it is client machines
that does not have remote console and is situated
not in the vicinity

Any way to increase size of / partition w/o re-initializing?

Post by John Caywo » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Consider just making one large / filesystem. Instead of having separate
>partitions for the other directories. I did it when I loaded Solaris 2.5 and
>it works just great. I have one 1.5gb filesystem. Hopefully that will be
>large enough for at least 2.6 and 2.7 when they are released.

>Anybody have any reasons not to do it this way?

I have 7 reasons (and counting).  See
        http://www.acic.com/reference/server-eng.html

--
 John Caywood, Atlantic Coast Internet Consultants
     ACIC, Inc.  (757)518-9227 voice, 518-9232 FAX

     Key fingerprint =  6F 3B AD 9E BE 34 B7 10  C4 3D 91 E6 15 3E 60 E5

Post by Peter Marela » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >Thanks to all the folks who've posted and emailed suggestions regarding my
> >question, particularly the info on the Solstice Disk Suite "growfs"
> >command, and the -MF options within "mkfs".  I've concluded that my
> >best/safest option is just to reinstall w/ a larger root partition.  I'll
> >probably try to get a larger internal drive for my Voyager first, and then
> >do everything in one shot.

> >thanks again,

> >kirk

> Consider just making one large / filesystem. Instead of having separate
> partitions for the other directories. I did it when I loaded Solaris 2.5 and
> it works just great. I have one 1.5gb filesystem. Hopefully that will be
> large enough for at least 2.6 and 2.7 when they are released.

> Anybody have any reasons not to do it this way?

This has been discussed many times but i never added my 2 cents worth.

Ive noticed it can become a problem when booting the system after an
unscheduled shutdown.

It takes alot longer for the fsck passes to finish.

Peter Marelas

1. Re-initializing SCSI stuff

Hi,
  I have an external SCSI CDRW that has a problem in which it
occasionally decides to quit working (this is a hardware problem with
the CDRW, not software problem with Linux).  To fix the problem, I
simply have to cycle power on the CDRW and reboot, and I'm good for
another week or so.  I have to reboot because once my CDRW dies, Linux
drops that device from whatever list it maintains, and doesn't add it
back once the CDRW is working again.

  Recycling power on the CDRW is trivial, but I am not always at a
convenient point to reboot.  So here is the question: Is there a
simple command available to re-initialize all of the SCSI stuff so
that I don't have to reboot?

On second thought, this might cause problems with my hard disk, which
is SCSI.  Is  there a way to re-initialize just the SCSI stuff to look
for new hardware without disturbing the settings for the SCSI devices
which are already active?

Please don't suggest just buying a new CDRW;  I already know how to do
that ;).  Also note that I am running Redhat 8.0.

Thanks.

2. Licensing Problem Workshop 5.0

3. 3Com NIC re-initializing itself...

4. AAAARRRRG! HELP!

5. Anyone used Partition Magic to increase size of Linux / Partition?

6. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK!!! -- Oops! Forgot the URL!

7. Increase size of /usr partition?

8. Help! How to rewrite boot sector in Sys V 3.2

9. /var at 108% What the easiest way to increase the size of my partitions?

10. Increase partition size

11. How do I increase my Linux partition size?

12. how do i increase the size of the partition?

13. Increasing the size of root partition