Problem with Solaris 10 x86, Matrox G450 Dual Head, X.org and Xinerama

Problem with Solaris 10 x86, Matrox G450 Dual Head, X.org and Xinerama

Post by Tuomas » Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:24:07

I have solaris 10 x86 with matrox g450 dual head and x.org x-server. The
problem is to get xinerama work. When xinerama isn't enabled, two
different desktops work well - or, they work, but they are pretty
useless because I can't move windows between them. So, I have to enable
xinerama, but it seems, that neither JDS/Gnome nor CDE haven't been
built including support for xinerama.

When I enable xinerama, X.org-x-server starts fine and there's dtlogin.
When I login and it passes execution to gnome, it fails and x-server
restarts. Same with CDE. But if I put 'exec /opt/sfw/bin/xterm to my
.dtprofile', it starts ok and I can do some testing..

% dtwm
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
           Major opcode of failed request:  149 (XINERAMA)
           Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (XINERAMAGetScreenCount)
           Resource id in failed request:  0x0
           Serial number of failed request:  18
           Current serial number in output stream:  18

% gtk-demo
The program 'gtk-demo' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 13 error_code 3 request_code 149 minor_code 2)
   backtrace from your de* if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

% gtk-demo --sync
The program 'gtk-demo' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 13 error_code 3 request_code 149 minor_code 2)
   backtrace from your de* if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

(Yes, it's the same..)

If I start /opt/sfw/bin/fvwm2, it works fine too, so the problem seems
to be gtk/glib/gnome and CDE. One odd thing is that normal CDE-programs,
like dtterm, dtcm, dtcalc etc. works fine. But dtwm doesn't work in
xinerama mode.

So, would anyone have any suggestion what could I do? Do I have to
recompile my own GNOME, or could Sun do something to the next Solaris 10
update? (As far as I know, current Solaris 10 release doesn't include
zfs yet, so there will be an update soon, I think)

- Tuomas M

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:59:22

|I have solaris 10 x86 with matrox g450 dual head and x.org x-server. The
|problem is to get xinerama work. When xinerama isn't enabled, two
|different desktops work well - or, they work, but they are pretty
|useless because I can't move windows between them. So, I have to enable
|xinerama, but it seems, that neither JDS/Gnome nor CDE haven't been
|built including support for xinerama.

Actually, the problem is that they have been built with this support.
But they've been built using the Xsun version of Xinerama, which is
slightly different than the Xorg one, and hence incompatible.   It's an
open bug we're working on fixing.

 http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/   *   http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/