Increase storage in /usr ???

Post by Philip L » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have just install a solaris 2.6 in sparc5.
However, I just allocate a slice of 1GB for the /usr
and have about 1GB for a unused slice.

Right now it is about 50% full !

How can I increase the volumn of /usr by combining
the unused slice ??

thanks

Rgds,
Philip Lai

Increase storage in /usr ???

Post by Jose Luis Martine » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have just install a solaris 2.6 in sparc5.
> However, I just allocate a slice of 1GB for the /usr
> and have about 1GB for a unused slice.

> Right now it is about 50% full !

> How can I increase the volumn of /usr by combining
> the unused slice ??

> thanks

> Rgds,
> Philip Lai

   You can not!
   Unless your filesystem is a vxva one. Most probably this is not the
case and you are stucked with ufs. The only way to increase /usr is to
make a backup of /usr (using ufsdump) then boot your machine from cdrom
or from the net as single user, once you are there reformat your disk
and declare the bigger partition, now mount the new bigger /usr and
restore your original /usr. Scary, isn't it?

Detail: if the actual /usr and the empty space are not contigous you are
out of luck and nothing can be done (well, you could reinstall....).

  One question: why do you need to increase /usr? You can usually use
other partitions (like /opt ) to install new software, and any other non
standard stuff you can put it anywhere else...

Regards

----------------------------------
Jose Luis Martinez
My username is: jlms
My mailbox sits in: geocities dot com

Increase storage in /usr ???

Post by Tom Ballinge » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> > I have just install a solaris 2.6 in sparc5.
> > However, I just allocate a slice of 1GB for the /usr
> > and have about 1GB for a unused slice.

> > Right now it is about 50% full !

> > How can I increase the volumn of /usr by combining
> > the unused slice ??

> > thanks

> > Rgds,
> > Philip Lai

>    You can not!
>    Unless your filesystem is a vxva one. Most probably this is not the
> case and you are stucked with ufs. The only way to increase /usr is to
> make a backup of /usr (using ufsdump) then boot your machine from cdrom
> or from the net as single user, once you are there reformat your disk
> and declare the bigger partition, now mount the new bigger /usr and
> restore your original /usr. Scary, isn't it?

> Detail: if the actual /usr and the empty space are not contigous you are
> out of luck and nothing can be done (well, you could reinstall....).

I don't think this is correct :)  It can be done, but will require the
backup of all file systems from usr to the free space (including usr of
course), then repartition each slice, stealing from the next slice up
until all slices are recreated and the last slice taking from the free
space.  Then simply create new file systems and restore data from tape.

While this seems like alot of work, a simple script can automate the
dump, newfs and restoration, so it just comes down to time of the actual
dump, creating the new file systems and restoration of each slice
modified.

hth
tom

Increase storage in /usr ???

Post by Bill Voigh » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Philip,

Depending on how much space you need, you might be able to move parts of
/usr to other filesystems and create links in /usr.  This would be a
relatively small effort, but should do the trick.  We use it here for
several different filesystems that weren't properly allocated on the
first pass.

> Hi,

> I have just install a solaris 2.6 in sparc5.
> However, I just allocate a slice of 1GB for the /usr
> and have about 1GB for a unused slice.

> Right now it is about 50% full !

> How can I increase the volumn of /usr by combining
> the unused slice ??

> thanks

> Rgds,
> Philip Lai

Increase storage in /usr ???

Post by Philip Bro » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I have just install a solaris 2.6 in sparc5.
>However, I just allocate a slice of 1GB for the /usr
>and have about 1GB for a unused slice.

>Right now it is about 50% full !

>How can I increase the volumn of /usr by combining
>the unused slice ??

Sigh. Seems like noone gave you the "best" answer. So I will add yet another
to the mix.

let's say your /usr is on cylinders 1001 to 1500 ,and on partition 6
let's also say your free partition is conveniently located at 1501 - 2000.
If it isn't, then I leave it to you to juggle things appropriately until it IS
directly after that /usr partition.

Then all you have to do is
step 1: use "format" to remove the separate partition
step 2: still in "format", increase the cylinder count of partition 6 to 1000
  (and use the "label" option when done)
  (note the "block size" of the new partition)

step 3: boot off of cdrom

step 4: /usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs -G /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6 {sizeinblocks}

and hopefully, you're done.

Now, if you're feeling adventurous, you might skip step 3, and try

 /usr/lib/fs/ufs/mkfs -M /usr -G /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s6 {sizeinblocks}

{sizeinblocks} will be mentioned by format.

But I think that may cause problems, and might even do * things to
your system, just because it's the /usr partition, and not some other
partition.

Use the above at your own risk, I disclaim all responsability if following the
above steps trashes your system. But I believe the above should work for you.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

1. Suggestions for increasing my storage space, please...

Hi.  I have a P60 Linux box and my IDE hard drive (~300 megs on the linux
partition) is running out of space fast.  I see three options:

        1) Buy another IDE hard drive
        2) Buy a SCSI controller and a SCSI hard drive
        3) Buy a SCSI controller and a SCSI zip drive

Money is a big part of the equation in that I have very little of it.
Could anyone give me any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,

Pat

2. DLPI on x86 Solaris help

3. Increase size of /usr partition?

4. mtools don't recognize SCSI-Disk

5. FreeBSD 2.2.6 - Can I increase my /usr partion size post install?

6. Q: Backup using 1.44Floppy disks

7. PARTITION: Increasing the /usr slice...

8. #networking...

9. fdisk to increase /usr

10. Increasing /usr file system

11. SUMMARY -Increasing /usr without newfs?

12. newbie needs to increase size of mount point /usr

13. Increasing Blocks for /usr ????