Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Chris Co » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:10:23



I'm a loss.  I have several machines already running with 9600 baud (default)
speeds to their serial consoles.  From what I read, you can't use
smc to modify the speed if the ports are used as consoles... but I cannot
figure out how to change the speed and reset the line so the rate
changes to the console.

I know it may be different in Solaris 10.. I've got a mix of Sol 8,9,10
plaforms.  How can I raise the rate to the maximum.  Also, even new
hardware seems to indicate that 38400 is as high as it can go...
anyone else know different and can tell me what I need to do to
enable for 115200 (or if it's possible)?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:44:54



>I'm a loss.  I have several machines already running with 9600 baud (default)
>speeds to their serial consoles.  From what I read, you can't use
>smc to modify the speed if the ports are used as consoles... but I cannot
>figure out how to change the speed and reset the line so the rate
>changes to the console.
>I know it may be different in Solaris 10.. I've got a mix of Sol 8,9,10
>plaforms.  How can I raise the rate to the maximum.  Also, even new
>hardware seems to indicate that 38400 is as high as it can go...
>anyone else know different and can tell me what I need to do to
>enable for 115200 (or if it's possible)?

The maximum a serial console can do during boot is 38400; that's the
maximum OBP can deal with.

Here's what you need to do to set the console speed of a SPARC:

        eeprom ttya-mode=38400,8,n,1,-

change the console line in /etc/ttydefs to read:

        console:38400 hupcl opost onlcr:38400::console

change /kernel/drv/options.conf:

ttymodes="2502:1805:bf:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:0:0:11:13:1a:19:12:f:17:16";

(change the third field from "bd" to "bf")(

It's sightly simpler on x86.  And yes, it's a bug it's this hard.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Daniel Roc » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 06:59:36



[...]

Quote:> change /kernel/drv/options.conf:

> ttymodes="2502:1805:bf:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:0:0:11:13:1a:19:12:f:17:16";

> (change the third field from "bd" to "bf")(

What about /etc/ioctl.syscon?

--
Daniel

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Chris Co » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 08:25:07




>>I'm a loss.  I have several machines already running with 9600 baud (default)
>>speeds to their serial consoles.  From what I read, you can't use
>>smc to modify the speed if the ports are used as consoles... but I cannot
>>figure out how to change the speed and reset the line so the rate
>>changes to the console.

>>I know it may be different in Solaris 10.. I've got a mix of Sol 8,9,10
>>plaforms.  How can I raise the rate to the maximum.  Also, even new
>>hardware seems to indicate that 38400 is as high as it can go...
>>anyone else know different and can tell me what I need to do to
>>enable for 115200 (or if it's possible)?

> The maximum a serial console can do during boot is 38400; that's the
> maximum OBP can deal with.

> Here's what you need to do to set the console speed of a SPARC:

>    eeprom ttya-mode=38400,8,n,1,-

> change the console line in /etc/ttydefs to read:

>    console:38400 hupcl opost onlcr:38400::console

> change /kernel/drv/options.conf:

> ttymodes="2502:1805:bf:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:0:0:11:13:1a:19:12:f:17:16";

> (change the third field from "bd" to "bf")(

> It's sightly simpler on x86.  And yes, it's a bug it's this hard.

> Casper

On a Sol 10 box I changed the ttydefs for console and zapped
the ttymon and after awhile it seemed to come back at 38400.
Is that ok?  Seemed to work.  Thanks for the info though.

Maybe it won't survive boot or do the right thing without
the eeprom change.. I'll do that too.  I didn't adjust
ttymodes... do I have to do that?

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:01:46




>[...]
>> change /kernel/drv/options.conf:

>> ttymodes="2502:1805:bf:8a3b:3:1c:7f:15:4:0:0:0:11:13:1a:19:12:f:17:16";

>> (change the third field from "bd" to "bf")(
>What about /etc/ioctl.syscon?

No need; it's written by init itself (it seems to be working with just this
in S10)

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:02:52



>On a Sol 10 box I changed the ttydefs for console and zapped
>the ttymon and after awhile it seemed to come back at 38400.
>Is that ok?  Seemed to work.  Thanks for the info though.
>Maybe it won't survive boot or do the right thing without
>the eeprom change.. I'll do that too.  I didn't adjust
>ttymodes... do I have to do that?

You need the eeprom setting for boot and the options.conf (for SPARC).

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Chris Co » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:24:32




>>On a Sol 10 box I changed the ttydefs for console and zapped
>>the ttymon and after awhile it seemed to come back at 38400.
>>Is that ok?  Seemed to work.  Thanks for the info though.

>>Maybe it won't survive boot or do the right thing without
>>the eeprom change.. I'll do that too.  I didn't adjust
>>ttymodes... do I have to do that?

> You need the eeprom setting for boot and the options.conf (for SPARC).

Done.  Thanks for all of the responses.  Why the 38400 limit?
Just curious.
 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:49:45



>Done.  Thanks for all of the responses.  Why the 38400 limit?
>Just curious.

Limitation of the OBP; it doesn't support larger values.
(The older zs serial would be hard pressed to run faster)

You could file an RFE which then might be addressed in newer
hardware.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?

Post by Daniel Roc » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:01:59




>>What about /etc/ioctl.syscon?

> No need; it's written by init itself (it seems to be working with just this
> in S10)

But only if it isn't already present or if it's corrupted (if I understand
the code in init.c correctly).
If you change the console speed after installation you end up with a messed
up terminal - at least if you boot into single user mode.

This was my experience from earlier Solaris releases. Haven't tried
Solaris 10 yet.

--
Daniel

 
 
 

1. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

I'm setting up a serial console on a machine for which the monitor
will go into the repair shop.  I've successfully set up getty to
take logins from the serial port, and I've successfully configured
the kernel to send boot messages to the serial port.  The final step
is setting up lilo.  Lilo works in that the boot prompt appears on
both the system console and on the serial port. However, I cannot
enter commands to the boot prompt from the serialport.  Following
manpage procedure, I transmit a break over the serial line in an
attempt to get lilo's attention.  It doesn't work.  Lilo listens only
to the system keyboard.  What's up?

System details: lilo-0.20-2 rpm from red hat 5.2, kernel 2.2.5,
otherwise a stock rh 5.2 i386 machine. Serial port connection: I'm running
kermit on a laptop.  I send breaks from kermit  as ctrl-\ b as indicated
in kermit man page. Kermit is ckermit-192.

I suppose that the simplest explanation is that I won't be able to get
lilo's attention unless I unplug the keyboard from the
to-be-monitorless system.  Possible?

Thanks,

Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. Abrupt User Logoff Problems

3. SPARC 10 Serial Port Speed

4. DNS/Virtual Hosting Questions

5. How to specify serial port i/o and irq as akernel parameter for serial console?

6. dev_get

7. Multi port serial card supported under Solaris 10/X64

8. Question About Satellite Modem

9. Onyx console on Linux box via serial port

10. Serial Port Console via modem

11. RS6k / RS6000 AIX via serial port console

12. Serial Console Speed on Solaris 7

13. Serial Port Speed Change, 2.4.10->2.4.16