Using different IP Names for different Unix apps.

Using different IP Names for different Unix apps.

Post by Thomas Richard Stevens » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 02:53:36

We have a Unix box called cwis-20.wayne.edu which has the following alias
names: gopher.wayne.edu, news.wayne.edu, and www.wayne.edu (it may have
others in the future). Each alias is for a server we plan on supporting. This way,
if we move the server to another machine, we just redefine the alias to the
different machine, and no one has a new address to learn. I know we're not the
first to think of this! The problem is that all of these servers (gopher, news, www)
have function that allow users to mail information. When that happens, the From
field always says cwis-20.wayne.edu, and not the alias name provided for that service.
Is there any way of forcing a server to use a ip name other than the real machine
name? i.e. we would like mail sent out from the gopher server to have name
gopher.wayne.edu, from the news server to be news.wayne.edu, and from www
server to be www.wayne.edu (all from the same machine cwis-20.wayne.edu).
Any ideas? Thanks!

"A common mistake that people make when trying to   Douglas Adams
 design something completely foolproof was to       Mostly Harmless
 underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

1. different file names under different shells

hi

    I have two questions. The first one is whether it is possible for a
file
to have different names under bash and csh. In my department's system, I
came across a strange thing that a folder is called "\r" under bash and
"?'
under csh. It seemed that "?" is the right name. Under csh, I can "cd"
into
"?". But under bash, I can't "cd" into "\r".

    The second one is that in shell script "startx", there is a line
including a expression "/''*". I am wondering whether "\*" is enough.
What
is the use of two single quotes in the "\''*".

    Any help will be much appreciated.

Lei

2. Problem setuid

3. Different Functions of Same Name in Different Libs

4. Windows NT: Mickey Mouse OS

5. Is it possible for a file has different names under different shells

6. X11R6 Colors S3 Bad!

7. Resolving different domain names to different pages?

8. Why won't "find ./appl/x -depth -name nty -prune -o -print" not skip the nty directory?

9. Apache: different access for different IP's

10. pppd: how to give different ip-adrs to different dial-in accounts

11. OnDemand ijppp: different phone numbers for different ip addresses

12. requiring different users based at different IP addresses?

13. Different Web Page for different client IP address?