Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

What is the best way to upgrade a production machine from Solaris 2.6

Post by Chris Lawrenc » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:21:19

> What is the best way to upgrade a production machine from Solaris 2.6
> with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2?

Carefully :-)

--
Chris

Post by Kent Smit » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:04:33

>> What is the best way to upgrade a production machine from Solaris 2.6
>> with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2?

>Carefully :-)

Very, Very carefully.

First unencapsulate the root drive (if it is encapsulated - it IS
encapsulated, right?)  I have found this to be the most unpleasant
part of the operation.  Make sure you can reboot off the
unencapsulated disk.

Apply whatever patches Sun/Veritas recommend for Veritas 3.2/Solaris
2.6.

Make sure you can reboot.

Then upgrade Veritas.

Make sure you can reboot.

Then upgrade Solaris.

Make sure you can reboot.

Apply whatever patches Sun/Veritas recommend for Veritas 3.2/Solaris
8.

Make sure you can reboot.

Then re-encapsulate your boot drive.

Make sure you can reboot.

You are done.  Easy, huh?

When you can't reboot for whatever reason, you will have to fix it.
This process is *never* smooth.  Plan on spending a couple of days on
it, and have your support contract ready.

Good luck.

--Kent
=================================
Kent Smith
IPSO Incorporated
Business * Technology * Solutions
http://www.ipsoinc.com

Post by Jose Marcio Martins da Cru » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:11:33

> What is the best way to upgrade a production machine from Solaris 2.6
> with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2?

Why don't you go directly to Solaris 9 ? Volume Manager is already
integrated into Solaris 9.

 Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
 Ecole Nationale Superieure des Mines de Paris
 Centre de Calcul                      http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
 60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 05:35:48

>> What is the best way to upgrade a production machine from Solaris 2.6
>> with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2?
> Why don't you go directly to Solaris 9 ? Volume Manager is already
> integrated into Solaris 9.

That's a different volume manager...  It won't read VxVM diskgroups.

Post by Douglas Ritsche » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 07:42:07

> >> What is the best way to upgrade a production machine from Solaris 2.6
> >> with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2?

> > Why don't you go directly to Solaris 9 ? Volume Manager is already
> > integrated into Solaris 9.

> That's a different volume manager...  It won't read VxVM diskgroups.

> --

> Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
> Got some Dr Pepper?                           San Francisco, CA bay area
>          < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

According to SUN's Web Site, Disksuite was renamed to Solaris Volume
Manager and is included in Solaris 9.0. I wonder if it is a subset of
Veritas Volume Manager, as was the case in the past.

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 10:12:29

>> > Why don't you go directly to Solaris 9 ? Volume Manager is already
>> > integrated into Solaris 9.

>> That's a different volume manager...  It won't read VxVM diskgroups.
> According to SUN's Web Site, Disksuite was renamed to Solaris Volume
> Manager and is included in Solaris 9.0.

That's correct.

Quote:> I wonder if it is a subset of Veritas Volume Manager, as was the case
> in the past.

What do you mean by subset?  Online DiskSuite and Veritas Volume manager
have always been two completely separate products, which share some
functional abilities.

At one point in the past, Sun resold Veritas Volume Manager as Sun
Enterprise Volume Manager, but ODS/SDS was still around.

Sun will still sell VxVM, but it is still badged as a Veritas product.

Sun Logical Volume Manager is basically DiskSuite, easily used and
recognized by those familiar with it.  The fact that many admins are
used to shortening the Veritas product to "Volume Manager" is sure to
cause confusion.