XWindows through SSH2 Client failure

Post by davidknollh.. » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to execute metatool through a SSH2 client connection so I
don't have to run ReflectionX over a modem line.  I'm connecting
through a Client (Windows98) running SSH2 and I'm connecting (RSA) to a
Solaris 7 server running SSH2.

I set my DISPLAY variable to;

DISPLAY='154.209.54.77:0'
export DISPLAY
$ Metatool

Couldn't open display!
Is your DISPLAY variable set properly?

Can anyone set me straight on running xwindows applications in
Solaris?  I've done it before but can't recall as it was a few years
ago and I try and stay away from xwindows as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

David Knollhoff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Mason » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>I'm trying to execute metatool through a SSH2 client connection so I
>don't have to run ReflectionX over a modem line.  I'm connecting
>through a Client (Windows98) running SSH2 and I'm connecting (RSA) to a
>Solaris 7 server running SSH2.

>I set my DISPLAY variable to;

>DISPLAY='154.209.54.77:0'
>export DISPLAY
>$ Metatool

>Couldn't open display!
>Is your DISPLAY variable set properly?

Let's call the Unix host "remote" and call your PC "local".
Metatool is an x-client running on "remote" and it tries to
display to a PC x-server running on "local".

You can do either one of the two:
a) display to "local" via X,
b) display to "local" with ssh X-forwarding.

For both (a) and (b), you need to have a PC x-server running.

For (a), you don't need ssh on your PC.

For (b), you need an ssh client which has the X-forwarding option
(like SecureCRT 3.1 from http://www.vandyke.com); needless to say,
you meed a sshd2 running on "remote". When setup properly, the
ssh window client open an connection (usally port 22) to "remote"
and set the DISPLAY to "remote:10" (as default, which can be changed).
So, you *don't* need to set DISPLAY explicitly (which from your post,
I presume you set DISPLAY to "local:0" which is wrong.

Hope it helps.
BTW, your posting would be most suitable in comp.security.ssh.
You you still can't make it work, post your problem there and you
will get more help.

Good luck.

1. NT nfs client, NT xwindows client?

Hi,

I have a port to do of a C++ project from NT to Linux. I just installed
RH5.2 (which happens to be lying around here) on a i86 PC and everything
works fine, GCC is already installed, xwindows (XFree86) starts OK, I can
ftp and telnet from my NT machines etc. I have been impressed that
everything installed so smoothly. I have a couple of questions:

(a) I have a problem using my Belkin Omniview switch. When I switch from my
NT machine to my Linux machine (running X) the mouse screws up on Linux. It
seems to be 'caught' in the top right of the screen. I can solve this my
stopping and restarting X but that's a pain everytime you switch from one
machine to the other. Any ideas? It's an MS PS/2 intellimouse and behaves
fine with X until I switch to the NT machine and back.

(b) Does anyone have recommendations for lowish cost NT-based nfs and
xwindows clients?

Regards

Alan Ambrose

2. NCSA httpd on Linux on a 386?

3. What is the most popular ssh or ssh2 and X based ftp client?

4. Matrox Millennium G200 AGP on Slackware?

5. Good SSH2 client for MS windows

6. cistron radius portslave installation

7. ANNOUNCE: ShellGuard 3.30 - SSH2/SSH1 and Telnet client

8. Problem with installing of Eicon Card on Unix OpenServer 5.04

9. SSH2 Client

10. SSH2 Client for Win32?

11. ANNOUNCE: ShellGuard 3.30 - SSH2/SSH1 and Telnet client

12. 2.5.70 thru bk10 amd64 compile failure

13. VPN from Win98 Client thru IPCHAINS+IPMASQ firewall