Sol 2.6 upgrade GRIPES

Sol 2.6 upgrade GRIPES

Post by Don Gilbe » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00



i upgraded from 2.5.1 to 2.6 recently:

  i can no longer print (direct to a tcp/ip printer!)

  new mail tool doesn't complete my mail address properly,
    and combined w/ unrelated mail problems i don't even know
    if mail i'm sending is getting out (command line mailx works).

  d*!$# monitor turns itself off after 5 minutes, and there
    is no control panel evident to reset this power saver "feature"

the remote login to other dce systems might be a nice new option,
  if i didn't have to reboot to get back to a local login.

one dubious benefit from this upgrade: /etc/default/login:sleeptime=0
  finally works

great work, Sun

-- Don

--

 
 
 

Sol 2.6 upgrade GRIPES

Post by Kyle McDonal » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00



>   I can no longer print (direct to a tcp/ip printer!)

        How were you doing it on 2.5.1?

        If you were using HP's jet admin you may need a new version.
        If you were using the direct tcp/ip option on
        the new SunSoft Print client (which was on the updates
        CD in 2.5.1 i think.) then it shouldn't have changed.

        In 2.6 the new PrintClient is the default, and includes
        support for tcp/ip printing.

        If the printer you were printing to was one which
        emulated it's own lpd, then you probably need
        to set it up again. The new PrintClient contains
        ALOT of improvements over the old SVR4 printing system.
        One of these is that printer configuration is done
        through a file again, but I don't know what the
        name is off hand. Check the 2.6 docs - there is
        a whole section in changes book which specifically
        covers changes to the printing system.  

Quote:

>   new mail tool doesn't complete my mail address properly,
>     and combined w/ unrelated mail problems i don't even know
>     if mail i'm sending is getting out (command line mailx works).

        The CDE or OW one? were you using CDE before?
        Sounds like this might be a sendmail problem?
Quote:

>   d*!$# monitor turns itself off after 5 minutes, and there
>     is no control panel evident to reset this power saver "feature"

        2.6 usually asks you (on first boot) wether to enable
        the PowerSaving features. on the SPARC's this will
        actually power off the MACHINE - after dumping it's
        state out to the swap file. I always turn this off.

        I don't know what monitor you're using. this maybe
        a feature of the monitor when the screen blanks under
        CDE. were you using CDE before?

Quote:

> the remote login to other dce systems might be a nice new option,
>   if i didn't have to reboot to get back to a local login.

        Reboot? I don't understand what you're talking about.
Quote:

> one dubious benefit from this upgrade: /etc/default/login:sleeptime=0
>   finally works

        Don't know what that was supposed to do.

                -Kyle
--
                                   _
-------------------------------ooO( )Ooo-------------------------------
Kyle J. McDonald                 (o o)                 Systems Analyst/
Northeastern University          |||||          Applications Programmer

360 Huntington Ave. 230SN        \\\//          voice:    (617)373-3361
Boston MA 02115                  (o o)            fax:    (617)373-8504
-------------------------------ooO(_)Ooo-------------------------------

 
 
 

Sol 2.6 upgrade GRIPES

Post by Mike Soldatk » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I've the same stuff, we are still working out all of the
little problem that CDE1.2 has. I've see only a small amount of
problem with Solaris 2.6.. But SUn can take CDE 1.2 back the
junk pile...
- DTMAIlL does not work with aliases, If you are sending the message with
an
aliases and you are part of the alises, you do not get a CC copy back. CDE
1.0.2 work great.
This works great for mailx and mailtool...
- CDE logs you out not and than...
- If you rsh to a remote machine and set your DISPLAY back to your current
workstation and display a dtpad (or any X) and save you current work
session and logout. Try logining again, if it works logout out and try for
a third time. You will be very suprised.. You can't!!!!! SUN know about
this and is working on getting an Patch out..
- On logout users will only get a white screen, dtlogin dies....

So far I'm loving this upgrade to Solaris 2.6 - keep those patches
coming... 100+ and increasing everyday....

soda
:)



> >   I can no longer print (direct to a tcp/ip printer!)

>         How were you doing it on 2.5.1?

>         If you were using HP's jet admin you may need a new version.
>         If you were using the direct tcp/ip option on
>         the new SunSoft Print client (which was on the updates
>         CD in 2.5.1 i think.) then it shouldn't have changed.

>         In 2.6 the new PrintClient is the default, and includes
>         support for tcp/ip printing.

>         If the printer you were printing to was one which
>         emulated it's own lpd, then you probably need
>         to set it up again. The new PrintClient contains
>         ALOT of improvements over the old SVR4 printing system.
>         One of these is that printer configuration is done
>         through a file again, but I don't know what the
>         name is off hand. Check the 2.6 docs - there is
>         a whole section in changes book which specifically
>         covers changes to the printing system.

> >   new mail tool doesn't complete my mail address properly,
> >     and combined w/ unrelated mail problems i don't even know
> >     if mail i'm sending is getting out (command line mailx works).

>         The CDE or OW one? were you using CDE before?
>         Sounds like this might be a sendmail problem?

> >   d*!$# monitor turns itself off after 5 minutes, and there
> >     is no control panel evident to reset this power saver "feature"

>         2.6 usually asks you (on first boot) wether to enable
>         the PowerSaving features. on the SPARC's this will
>         actually power off the MACHINE - after dumping it's
>         state out to the swap file. I always turn this off.

>         I don't know what monitor you're using. this maybe
>         a feature of the monitor when the screen blanks under
>         CDE. were you using CDE before?

> > the remote login to other dce systems might be a nice new option,
> >   if i didn't have to reboot to get back to a local login.

>         Reboot? I don't understand what you're talking about.

> > one dubious benefit from this upgrade: /etc/default/login:sleeptime=0
> >   finally works

>         Don't know what that was supposed to do.

>                 -Kyle
> --
>                                    _
> -------------------------------ooO( )Ooo-------------------------------
> Kyle J. McDonald                 (o o)                 Systems Analyst/
> Northeastern University          |||||          Applications Programmer

> 360 Huntington Ave. 230SN        \\\//          voice:    (617)373-3361
> Boston MA 02115                  (o o)            fax:    (617)373-8504
> -------------------------------ooO(_)Ooo-------------------------------

--

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  Mike Soldatke
  SprintParanet
  Nickname: soda

  Unix Specialist
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 
 
 

Sol 2.6 upgrade GRIPES

Post by Kyle McDonal » Sun, 12 Apr 1998 04:00:00



> I've the same stuff, we are still working out all of the
> little problem that CDE1.2 has. I've see only a small amount of
> problem with Solaris 2.6.. But SUn can take CDE 1.2 back the
> junk pile...

> - DTMAIlL does not work with aliases, If you are sending the message with
> aliases and you are part of the alises, you do not get a CC copy back. CDE
> 1.0.2 work great.
> This works great for mailx and mailtool...

        What kind of alias, if it's a dtmail, or .mailrc alias then
        I have no clue what might be wrong, but if it in
        /etc/mail.aliases (or the YP/NIS+ equiv,) then it may be
        a sendmail problem. I think Sendmail comes by default set
        to not send a copy of message to the sender EVEN if they
        are in the mailing list. I don't know if this helps though.

Quote:> - CDE logs you out not and than...

> - If you rsh to a remote machine and set your DISPLAY back to your current
> workstation and display a dtpad (or any X) and save you current work
> session and logout. Try logining again, if it works logout out and try for
> a third time. You will be very suprised.. You can't!!!!! SUN know about
> this and is working on getting an Patch out..

        Can't login? or Can Login but that window doesn't return?
        I haven't experimented with CDE-1.2 that much yet.

Quote:> - On logout users will only get a white screen, dtlogin dies....

> So far I'm loving this upgrade to Solaris 2.6 - keep those patches
> coming... 100+ and increasing everyday....

        119 as of 4/1/98 8^)

                -Kyle

--
                                   _
-------------------------------ooO( )Ooo-------------------------------
Kyle J. McDonald                 (o o)                 Systems Analyst/
Northeastern University          |||||          Applications Programmer

360 Huntington Ave. 230SN        \\\//          voice:    (617)373-3361
Boston MA 02115                  (o o)            fax:    (617)373-8504
-------------------------------ooO(_)Ooo-------------------------------