SUNWmdn related to UFS logging?

Post by Griff Mille » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:52:53

I just recently joined the 21st century when I discovered UFS
logging on Solaris 8. I'm always the last to find out about
neat stuff.  :)

I wonder why logging isn't enabled by default? At the very
least, the OS install procedure ought to ask if you want it.

Anyway, I know that 2.6 doesn't support UFS logging directly
like 8 does, but on my 2.6 systems I do use DiskSuite 4.1,
which I understand can do UFS logging.

Here's the question - is the DiskSuite 4.1 package "SUNWmdn"
related in any way to the UFS logging? I ask because I don't
normally install this package - I only install "SUNWmd" and
"SUNWmdg". I'm trying to figure out if I
need it or not for the UFS logging. Its title is "Solstice
DiskSuite Log Daemon" which is why I am wondering but I've
also seen indications that it has something to do with SNMP .

Actually, I'd really appreciate a short explanation of just
what SUNWmdn really is, no matter what the answer to the
above question is.  :)

Thanks for any help you can give me. Email cc's appreciated.

--
Griff Miller II                   |                                           |
Manager of Information Technology | If you're too open-minded,                |

SUNWmdn related to UFS logging?

Post by Akop Pogosia » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:09:42

The SDS trans metadevices implemented logging long time before UFS
could, but, AFAIK, this is not file system level logging, so it is
incorrect to call Disksuite logging "UFS logging". UFS logging is a
feature of the file system starting with Solaris 7. No additional
packages are required to use UFS logging, simple use the "logging"
option when mounting UFS file systems. You also don't need the
Disksuite log daemon to use Disksuite logging.

-akop

> I just recently joined the 21st century when I discovered UFS
> logging on Solaris 8. I'm always the last to find out about
> neat stuff.  :)
> I wonder why logging isn't enabled by default? At the very
> least, the OS install procedure ought to ask if you want it.
> Anyway, I know that 2.6 doesn't support UFS logging directly
> like 8 does, but on my 2.6 systems I do use DiskSuite 4.1,
> which I understand can do UFS logging.
> Here's the question - is the DiskSuite 4.1 package "SUNWmdn"
> related in any way to the UFS logging? I ask because I don't
> normally install this package - I only install "SUNWmd" and
> "SUNWmdg". I'm trying to figure out if I
> need it or not for the UFS logging. Its title is "Solstice
> DiskSuite Log Daemon" which is why I am wondering but I've
> also seen indications that it has something to do with SNMP .
> Actually, I'd really appreciate a short explanation of just
> what SUNWmdn really is, no matter what the answer to the
> above question is.  :)
> Thanks for any help you can give me. Email cc's appreciated.
> --
> Griff Miller II                   |                                           |
> Manager of Information Technology | If you're too open-minded,                |
> Positron Corporation              | your brains might fall out.               |

SUNWmdn related to UFS logging?

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:11:19

[...]

Quote:> Actually, I'd really appreciate a short explanation of just
> what SUNWmdn really is, no matter what the answer to the
> above question is.  :)

> Thanks for any help you can give me. Email cc's appreciated.

From mdlogd(1m):

     mdlogd implements a simple daemon that  watches  the  system
     console looking for messages written by the DiskSuite device
     driver (md). When a DiskSuite message is detected the daemon
     will send a generic SNMP trap.

That program, its config file, startup script, and man page, is
all there is to it.

--

SUNWmdn related to UFS logging?

Post by Joe Blogg » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:15:24

Griff,

SUNWmdn is for logging in the SNMP sense - logging messages should a
metadevice break, like a mirror.  If you hunt around the "reloc" subdir of
the package on the CD, you'll see exactly what it is, including this excerpt
from the man page under there :-

"mdlogd implements a simple daemon that watches the system console looking
for messages written by the DiskSuite device driver (md). When a DiskSuite
message is detected the daemon will send a generic SNMP trap."

UFS logging is done using disksuite in 2.6, it's built into Disksuite
itself.

UFS logging in Solaris 8 is MUCH easier, just pop the word logging next to
the filesystems in /etc/vfstab and you're away.

Joe

Post by Griff Mill » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 00:57:38

> The SDS trans metadevices implemented logging long time before UFS
> could, but, AFAIK, this is not file system level logging, so it is
> incorrect to call Disksuite logging "UFS logging".

Understood, but don't tell me, tell Sun.  :)  The SDS 4.1 User's Guide
says "UFS logging" everywhere it talks about Trans Metadevices.

Quote:> UFS logging is a
> feature of the file system starting with Solaris 7. No additional
> packages are required to use UFS logging, simple use the "logging"
> option when mounting UFS file systems. You also don't need the
> Disksuite log daemon to use Disksuite logging.

> -akop

With 2.6 I do.

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who replied, as well. I now
see that SUNWmdn has nothing to do with Trans Metadevices or
UFS logging (to use the vernacular!) .  Logging with SDS is a lot
more complicated, that's for sure, and I can't do the root fs .
Oh, well - it'll still be worth it for those 50GB data filesystems.  :)

Post by sc.. » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:13:58

> I just recently joined the 21st century when I discovered UFS
> logging on Solaris 8. I'm always the last to find out about
> neat stuff.  :)
> I wonder why logging isn't enabled by default? At the very
> least, the OS install procedure ought to ask if you want it.

It is in Solaris 9.  This is fairly normal for Sun when putting in
something of this magnitude - make it optional in one version, and then
the default in the next (You can still use nologging on sol9 if you don't
wait it).

  Scott

Post by Akop Pogosia » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 19:26:45

>> The SDS trans metadevices implemented logging long time before UFS
>> could, but, AFAIK, this is not file system level logging, so it is
>> incorrect to call Disksuite logging "UFS logging".
> Understood, but don't tell me, tell Sun.  :)  The SDS 4.1 User's Guide
> says "UFS logging" everywhere it talks about Trans Metadevices.

Actually, I apologize, I was wrong about that one ..  The SDS User's
Guide is correct. For some reason, I thought that the trans
metadevices are file system independent ..

-akop

Post by Griff Mill » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 23:46:58

> > UFS logging is a
> > feature of the file system starting with Solaris 7. No additional
> > packages are required to use UFS logging, simple use the "logging"
> > option when mounting UFS file systems. You also don't need the
> > Disksuite log daemon to use Disksuite logging.

> With 2.6 I do.

Oops, please disregard that. I misread what you wrote, and was disagreeing
with something you didn't say.  :)

Griff

1. UFS logging VS Solstice DiskSuite's Trans metadevice "UFS logging"

Does anyone know the difference from mounting a UFS file system with
the options "logging" and using Solstice DiskSuite's Trans metadevice
to do UFS logging.

Is it the same, or using DiskSuite more reliable?   I've been using
DiskSuite (ufs logging) for a few years now and I've never have a
problem with any file system from a hard crash or "power off".  I
noticed the other day when glancing over the mount_ufs man page that
there was a "logging" options that says the same stuff of what a trans
metadevice does, but was curious if it is proven to have the same
reliability.

Any info is appreciated.

-- Shawn

2. Help: Setup LandScape printing on solaris 2.x by default

3. UFS logging - how much space can be logged ?

4. print out unwanted blank page

5. UFS logging vs meta device logging

6. How to serve index.cgi from cgi directory

7. Sharing Logs with ODS + UFS Logging

8. Pending bugfixes for 2.4.20 ?

9. how large is the log area on a UFS filesystem with logging.

10. VRTS RAID 1+0 volume, DRL Log and UFS log

11. How to replace all ufs-related addresses with my own routine addresses ?

12. UFS-Related Addresses

13. How to replace all UFS related addresses with my own routine addresses ?