Q2B: SunLinux

Post by John D Groenve » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:45:45

If it is not Sun's intention to market SunLinux except as a bundled
product with Sun's x86 servers, how does Sun expect to compete with
IBM, HP, Dell which offer the same Linux operating environment across
their laptop, desktop and server lines?

Is it no longer Sun's position that customers want to run the same
operating environment across the enterprise?

John

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by Akop Pogosia » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:55:40

Quote:> If it is not Sun's intention to market SunLinux except as a bundled
> product with Sun's x86 servers, how does Sun expect to compete with
> IBM, HP, Dell which offer the same Linux operating environment across
> their laptop, desktop and server lines?
> Is it no longer Sun's position that customers want to run the same
> operating environment across the enterprise?

Another thing that I don't understand.. do we really need yet another
Linux distribution? Cobalt more or less rolled their own and even
their port of Linux to MIPS processor (when they used MIPS) was not
merged into the mainstream Linux kernel, and so, their version of
Linux was really a fork but no one cared because their product was
supposed to be an appliance.

Also, Is Sun planning to base their version on another system (e.g.
RedHat) or are they going to roll their own?  And if they are going to
base their system on some other Linux vendor distribution, will Sun
Linux closely follow the "upstream" releases of the Linux distribution
they're based on or will they just make a one time fork and completely
diverge from other distributions?  It'd be interesting to see how
Sun's Linux venture works out. If they put together a sane Linux
distribution and offer the same level support for it as they offer for
Solaris, and if their Intel servers will be reasonably priced, it
could have a potential to be a winner, although, Sun is definitely
behind IBM and HP to the Linux market.

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by Akop Pogosia » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:11:16

Quote:> If it is not Sun's intention to market SunLinux except as a bundled
> product with Sun's x86 servers, how does Sun expect to compete with
> IBM, HP, Dell which offer the same Linux operating environment across
> their laptop, desktop and server lines?

Actually, you can exclude the laptops. I am not sure about HP, but IBM
definitely stopped all forms of support for Linux on laptops. They
haven't been offering any of their thinkpad laptops with Linux for a
while. As for support, it is limited to "go look at
www.linux-laptop.net". Granted, Linux still works on their laptops
fairly well, except for the dreadful AC97 modems. Support for Linux on
consumer and business desktops is also either very weak or
non-existent. The only desktops they support Linux on are expensive
workstation class machines. (but then again, Linux probably works just
fine on all other desktops)

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by John D Groenve » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:16:56

Quote:>Actually, you can exclude the laptops. I am not sure about HP, but IBM

Neither Dell nor IBM offer Linux as option when buying their top laptops,
though both have the capability to do so. Sun should take advantage of
the competition's oversight and resell Toshiba Tecra's with Solaris x86.
John

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 04:00:08

>Also, Is Sun planning to base their version on another system (e.g.
>RedHat)

yes. I think they mentioned redhat.

Quote:>...If they put together a sane Linux
>distribution and offer the same level support for it as they offer for
>Solaris, and if their Intel servers will be reasonably priced, it
>could have a potential to be a winner,

you mean a winner like all those other companies out there making millions
of dollars selling linux systems and support for them?
[name one!]

Sounds like a giant step backwards for sun.

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by Bruce Riddl » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:33:00

> >Also, Is Sun planning to base their version on another system (e.g.
> >RedHat)

> yes. I think they mentioned redhat.

> >...If they put together a sane Linux
> >distribution and offer the same level support for it as they offer for
> >Solaris, and if their Intel servers will be reasonably priced, it
> >could have a potential to be a winner,

> you mean a winner like all those other companies out there making millions
> of dollars selling linux systems and support for them?
> [name one!]

> Sounds like a giant step backwards for sun.

How do they intend to handle the person that just rebuilt their kernel last
night
and stuff stops working.

On Solaris the Engineer's usual reply is "Are the latest patches installed"?
Are they going to have Linux patch revision control via sunsolve?

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by Akop Pogosia » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:13:33

>> >Also, Is Sun planning to base their version on another system (e.g.
>> >RedHat)

>> yes. I think they mentioned redhat.

>> >...If they put together a sane Linux
>> >distribution and offer the same level support for it as they offer for
>> >Solaris, and if their Intel servers will be reasonably priced, it
>> >could have a potential to be a winner,

>> you mean a winner like all those other companies out there making millions
>> of dollars selling linux systems and support for them?
>> [name one!]

>> Sounds like a giant step backwards for sun.
> How do they intend to handle the person that just rebuilt their kernel last
> night
> and stuff stops working.

A simple way to handle those users is not to provide support to them
like other companies do. There is very little reason to recompile
kernels anyways, specially on a system like RedHat.

--

Post by Akop Pogosia » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 11:16:51

>>Also, Is Sun planning to base their version on another system (e.g.
>>RedHat)
> yes. I think they mentioned redhat.
>>...If they put together a sane Linux
>>distribution and offer the same level support for it as they offer for
>>Solaris, and if their Intel servers will be reasonably priced, it
>>could have a potential to be a winner,
> you mean a winner like all those other companies out there making millions
> of dollars selling linux systems and support for them?
> [name one!]

Linux surely helps companies like Dell, IBM, etc to sell more x86
boxes and even steal market share from Sun. I don't know if they're
making any money off Linux support but I doubt they'd be doing it at
all if it was only generating loss.

--

Post by Steve Kappe » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:08:36

>>>Also, Is Sun planning to base their version on another system (e.g.
>>>RedHat)

>> yes. I think they mentioned redhat.

>>>...If they put together a sane Linux
>>>distribution and offer the same level support for it as they offer for
>>>Solaris, and if their Intel servers will be reasonably priced, it
>>>could have a potential to be a winner,

>> you mean a winner like all those other companies out there making millions
>> of dollars selling linux systems and support for them?
>> [name one!]

> Linux surely helps companies like Dell, IBM, etc to sell more x86
> boxes and even steal market share from Sun. I don't know if they're
> making any money off Linux support but I doubt they'd be doing it at
> all if it was only generating loss.

Not necessarily.  Companies sometimes do strange things to acquire
market share.

Q2B: SunLinux

Post by John D Groenve » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:49:18

Quote:>Not necessarily.  Companies sometimes do strange things to acquire
>market share.

Do you mean like give away Solaris x86 for a year but never actually
market to the recipients service/support, development tools,
StarOffice 6 licenses or any of the other ancillary products which might
create revenue?

Or do you mean like give away Solaris x86, lie to the user community about
your commitment to deliver the next release, create perhaps insurmountable
ill will in that community, and give away to your competitors heaps of
invaluable FUD?

John

1. Experiences with SunLinux 5.0 & LX50 ?

Hi,

has anybody tried an LX50 ? how does SunLinux differ from existing
Linux distributions ? Is SunLinux downloadable ? How do you reload
SunLinux if a new version is released ? Is there a CD of SunLinux that
Sun ships ? Is Sun planning to provide the same level of support for
SunLinux as Solaris ? Is it preferable to load Solaris on an LX50
instead of SunLinux ?

T.

2. Installing x86 dual-boot with WinXP

3. Q2B: general purpose Linux/x86 servers

4. SURVEY: Graphics card benchmarks under XFree86 (21 Feb 94)

5. Q2B: Sun Developer Community

6. ANNOUNCE: Sioux in Linux aout format

7. Q2B: Solaris System Partners

8. Sudden errors from pppd