jumpstart profiles to use flash archives

jumpstart profiles to use flash archives

Post by Christian B » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:32:51

Hi,

first of all: please excuse my bad english. I hope you are able to
understand me.

I've an install server (sparc solaris 8 2/02 AND sparc solaris 9 (not
active at the same time)) on a x86 solaris 8 pc. I'm trying to configure an
unattended setup using a flash archive which I have prevously created on a
Enterprise 250 running solaris 8. Booting and system identification is
working fine.

The first problem I had, was that the profile or rules.ok wasn't found or
used. The share should be correct:
 share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /export/jumpstart
and the check script completes without any error.
Of course I used the right path with the add_install_client script.
Then I copied the rules.ok and the profile to
/export/install/Solaris_X/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/install_config
Now, during install I get the following messages:
   checking rules.ok ...
   using profile testmachine ...

But thats it. I still have to manually select the flash archive,
configuring the slices and so on.

My rules.ok file:
hostname s19i - testmachine -
any -         - testmachine -

My profile:
install_type flash_install

timeout 2
partitioning explicit
filesys c0t0d0s0 1024 /
filesys c0t0d0s1 2048 /usr
filesys c0t0d0s3 all overlap
filesys c0t0d0s3 1454 swap
filesys c0t0d0s4 2048 /var
filesys c0t0d0s5 free /opt

I already checked the 'Advanced Solaris Installation Guide' and nearly all
related sites found by google.

It would be great if I could get a tip where I made the mistake.

Christian

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:36:48

> Hi,
> first of all: please excuse my bad english. I hope you are able to
> understand me.
> I've an install server (sparc solaris 8 2/02 AND sparc solaris 9 (not
> active at the same time))

There should be no problems with them being active at the same time.
The 'add_install_client' script will set the one to use in the
bootparams so the client will chose the right one.

Quote:> on a x86 solaris 8 pc. I'm trying to configure an unattended setup
> using a flash archive which I have prevously created on a Enterprise
> 250 running solaris 8. Booting and system identification is working
> fine.
> The first problem I had, was that the profile or rules.ok wasn't found or
> used. The share should be correct:
>  share -F nfs -o ro,anon=0 /export/jumpstart
> and the check script completes without any error.
> Of course I used the right path with the add_install_client script.
> Then I copied the rules.ok and the profile to
> /export/install/Solaris_X/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/install_config

Uhh, that doesn't look right.

The rules.ok should be in your "jumpstart" directory, and your profiles
directory should also be under it.  You pick the directory (it could be
/export/jumpstart) and then you specify the directory when you setup the
client with the -c option to "add_install_client".

jumpstart profiles to use flash archives

Post by Christian B » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:19:43

Quote:> The rules.ok should be in your "jumpstart" directory, and your profiles
> directory should also be under it.  You pick the directory (it could be
> /export/jumpstart) and then you specify the directory when you setup the
> client with the -c option to "add_install_client".

I tried this, but it didn't work. I don't know why but the -p option, to
specify
the directory containing the sysidcfg file, works fine.

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 04:08:35

>> The rules.ok should be in your "jumpstart" directory, and your profiles
>> directory should also be under it.  You pick the directory (it could be
>> /export/jumpstart) and then you specify the directory when you setup the
>> client with the -c option to "add_install_client".
> I tried this, but it didn't work. I don't know why but the -p option, to
> specify
> the directory containing the sysidcfg file, works fine.

"Didn't work" isn't very useful to us.

Can you try it with the -c option, show us the command line you use,
show us the the entry it makes in /etc/bootparams, show us that the
directory is where your rules.ok file is, and then show the boot output?

You shouldn't be making changes within the Tools/Boot directory just to
set up jumpstart stuff.  You would only do that to make explicit changes
to the boot environment.