x86 (Audio CD Player with non SCSI CD)

Post by Petros Maniat » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Has any adventurous soul managed to use an audio CD player
with a non SCSI CDROM? (IDE/ATAPI) Workman, xcd, xmcd and
the like have a very strong aversion to ATAPIs, or so I
gather from my dabbling with them.

Thank you.

Petros Maniatis

Post by Petros Maniati » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>  WorkMan works fine.  The problem you may be facing is that the
> Solaris_x86 audio drivers (well, certainly for the sb/sbpro) do not
> have a pass through mode, ie they don't use the ``internal'' audio-in
> line that goes from the back of the CD to somewhere on the board (ie
> avoiding any buses) using that thoroughly standard bit of cable --- I
> have a feeling it's not even the digital feed, but just a plain stereo
> pair.  You end up having to plug your active speakers into the
> audio-out socket on the front of the CD.

Actually this is not the problem at all (at least not yet...) Workman
just refuses to work with my otherwise perfectly functioning CDROM. It
merely complains about it not being SCSI. I even tried to direct workman
to the block device in the /dev directory. No effect. Which makes me
wonder, if it is possible for some IDE/ATAPIs to work with Workman and
others not to work with it. I thought IDE/ATAPI was a common interface.

Thank you for your reply, though, Ian.

Petros
--
Petros Maniatis     http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~maniatis

Stanford University             Tel    :           (415) 497-2734

x86 (Audio CD Player with non SCSI CD)

Post by Ian Fitch » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Has any adventurous soul managed to use an audio CD player
>with a non SCSI CDROM? (IDE/ATAPI) Workman, xcd, xmcd and
>the like have a very strong aversion to ATAPIs, or so I
>gather from my dabbling with them.

 WorkMan works fine.  The problem you may be facing is that the
Solaris_x86 audio drivers (well, certainly for the sb/sbpro) do not
have a pass through mode, ie they don't use the ``internal'' audio-in
line that goes from the back of the CD to somewhere on the board (ie
avoiding any buses) using that thoroughly standard bit of cable --- I
have a feeling it's not even the digital feed, but just a plain stereo
pair.  You end up having to plug your active speakers into the
audio-out socket on the front of the CD.

 Unless someone can correct me, of course...

Post by Ian Fitch » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>WorkMan works fine.  The problem you may be facing is that the
>>Solaris_x86 audio drivers (well, certainly for the sb/sbpro) do not
>>have a pass through mode, ie they don't use the ``internal'' audio-in
>>line that goes from the back of the CD to somewhere on the board (ie

 Being a keen student I actually read the man page :-) where it does
claim you can set the record.port to be the internal CD input!
Thinking life was bliss I wrote the rather simple bit of code to open
/dev/audio and then ioctl (fd, AUDIO_GETDEV, <audio_device_t *>) which
barfed in the ioctl (EINVAL)!  <sigh> lsof reported the open had
attached itself to "sbpro" so that looked OK.  I hate it when you have
to take known working code (say, gaintool) and reverse engineer its
source into your own, which is the next job.

Quote:>Actually this is not the problem at all (at least not yet...) Workman
>just refuses to work with my otherwise perfectly functioning CDROM. It

 Hmm, that's a bit odd.  Talk to Sun, I guess.

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Thinking life was bliss I wrote the rather simple bit of code to open
>/dev/audio and then ioctl (fd, AUDIO_GETDEV, <audio_device_t *>) which
>barfed in the ioctl (EINVAL)!

The AUDIO_GETDEV ioctl works fine for me on Solaris 2.4 x86.  When I
run this program:

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/audioio.h>
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
        audio_device_t  ad;

        ioctl(open("/dev/audio", O_RDONLY), AUDIO_GETDEV, &ad);
        printf("name=%.16s\nversion=%.16s\nconfig=%.16s\n",
                ad.name, ad.version, ad.config);
        return 0;

Quote:}

I get this output:

name=SUNW,sb16
version=4.12
config=SB16

What Solaris DU release are you running? Are you certain that you opened
/dev/audio correctly?

BA

x86 (Audio CD Player with non SCSI CD)

Post by Ian Fitch » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>What Solaris DU release are you running? Are you certain that you opened
>/dev/audio correctly?

 Spot the obvious error,

 int a;

 if (a = open ("/dev/audio", O_RDONLY) < 0)
 {
     perror ("open");
     exit (1);
 }

 having successfully compiled your example, I was reduced to ``cc -E''
in the belief that I was picking up some duff values for O_RDONLY,
AUDIO_GETDEV or whatever and finally, by switching rapidly between
listings, to note the missing parens.

 <sigh>, it's the sort of dumb mistake I haven't made for years and
bitterly recriminate my colleagues for not spotting --- it's time to
pack it all in.  Anyone need an ageing gopher?

1. Non-SCSI Audio CD player?

Looking for Non-SCSI cdrom player - xmcd and workman look to be SCSI
only... Something that runs under X.

Bob

-----
Bob Oesterlin, IBM AS/400 Division       Dept 44Q, Rochester MN 55901

Phone: (507)-253-4528 (tie) 553-4528     ICBMNet: 44N 92.5W

2. Driver for ET4000/W32 wanted

3. which audio cd player for PAS 16 NEC CD ROM?

4. jetadmin

5. CD Player needed for audio cd.

6. Problems with innd on AIX 3.2.2

7. HELP: URGENT... Problem with gdb and Shared Libs.

8. CD audio : auto running another CD player under KDE,RH6.1

9. Can't play audio CD's with CD Player apps -- Creative CD820E

10. Mitsumi CD-ROM Audio CD player

11. audio cd player for 2.4 x86

12. E-IDE CD-ROM CD-player on 2.4 X86 ?