resolution/color/refresh rate

Post by Dmitry Pugache » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello All,

Would you please point me on solution for setting video/monitor.
I am using Solaris 8 and just don't know how to get appropriate
settings.

I have video card S3 Virge DX(2M) and monitor NOKIA 447ZiPlus.

So the situation is concrete but question is common. How is it possible
to customize resolution/color/refresh rate on Solaris 8 system ?

Thank you in advance!
Dmitry

resolution/color/refresh rate

Post by Ben Taylo » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

: However, 16-bit color should only take 1.5 megabytes, which you have.
: Unfortunately, Solaris doesn't support 16-bit color as far as I know.

Many of the X-servers support 16-bit, though I don't think it's supported.
But then there are some applications which misbehave badly in 16-bit
color.  I'm running 16-bit on my laptop (Fujitsu L470) and it works
great.  Sdtimage causes screen flashes when changing focus.

Play with /etc/openwin/server/etc/OWconfig and modify the defdepth
variable to 16.

Ben