Can not boot

Post by jang.. » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:33:00

Hello all,

I have had a light cut here and our sparc box got
some problems in the disk.
When it boots, it says that there is a problem in
the disk and that fsck may be run by hand to
solve it. After that, the system prompts for
login. But the problem seems to be in the drive
that holds the shell for every user (!!!) and
login is not possible (shell not found).

Is there any way to avoid login and have fsck
running?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Can not boot

Post by mat.. » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:40:24

Boot from CD, mount the disk, make sure the problem is not /var or
the partition including loginshell not mounted. then run fsck.

/Regards, Mats

> Hello all,

> I have had a light cut here and our sparc box got
> some problems in the disk.
> When it boots, it says that there is a problem in
> the disk and that fsck may be run by hand to
> solve it. After that, the system prompts for
> login. But the problem seems to be in the drive
> that holds the shell for every user (!!!) and
> login is not possible (shell not found).

> Is there any way to avoid login and have fsck
> running?

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Can not boot

Post by Nate Shocke » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:09:41

> Hello all,

> I have had a light cut here and our sparc box got some problems in the
> disk. When it boots, it says that there is a problem in the disk and
> that fsck may be run by hand to solve it. After that, the system prompts
> for login. But the problem seems to be in the drive that holds the shell
> for every user (!!!) and login is not possible (shell not found).

> Is there any way to avoid login and have fsck running?

        Yeah, put the cdrom in and "boot cdrom -s" from "ok", then run fsck
manually on the hard drive paritions.  When you reboot again you
shouldn't have any problems.

        Now, on to the important thing.  On Solaris, root's shell is /sbin/sh.
Period.  If you've changed it, you're just opening yourself up to things
exactly like the above.  Please do yourself a favor and leave root's
shell as /sbin/sh.  :)  If it hasn't been changed from /sbin/sh, then
disregard this--it just seems like that must have happened considering
the problem you describe above.

        HTH. HAND.

--
Nate Shockey
Ruthless Solaris Admin

Can not boot

Post by jang.. » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:25:52

Thanks for your answers.
The problem is that I do not have a CD installed, so I am going to
atempt network installation using a Solaris Intel here. I finally got
the control sequence to break boot from a PC terminal: it is alt-b
Now I just have to make it boot as for remote install, mount the drive
and run fsck over it (I got the Advanced Install Guide, but if you know
the procedure it will save time to me).

The fact is that I had in my mind the idea of getting back to sh. I
changed to bash because at the beggining I spent quite a time as root,
but now I don't. Too late, such is life...

Thanks again,

Joaquim.

> > Hello all,

> > I have had a light cut here and our sparc box got some problems in
the
> > disk. When it boots, it says that there is a problem in the disk and
> > that fsck may be run by hand to solve it. After that, the system
prompts
> > for login. But the problem seems to be in the drive that holds the
shell
> > for every user (!!!) and login is not possible (shell not found).

> > Is there any way to avoid login and have fsck running?

>    Yeah, put the cdrom in and "boot cdrom -s" from "ok", then run
fsck
> manually on the hard drive paritions.  When you reboot again you
> shouldn't have any problems.

>    Now, on to the important thing.  On Solaris, root's shell
is /sbin/sh.
> Period.  If you've changed it, you're just opening yourself up to
things
> exactly like the above.  Please do yourself a favor and leave root's
> shell as /sbin/sh.  :)  If it hasn't been changed from /sbin/sh, then
> disregard this--it just seems like that must have happened considering
> the problem you describe above.

>    HTH. HAND.

> --
> Nate Shockey
> Ruthless Solaris Admin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Promise EIDEMAX

3. Netra Pro's Con's

4. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

5. Fujitsu lifebook 420 and Xwindows help!!

6. CGI: apache canned response

7. apache 1.2b6/linux

8. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

9. Canned "ping"

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. Open Server 5.0.5 Boot CD will not boot - NO OS