Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Mike Wat » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Well,  I've got a strange problem that I am struggling with:

I am unable to pkgadd packages from CD - I have tried both a Sun
Workshop CD and the original Solaris 2.5.1 installation CD.  When I try
to pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from Workshop CD) I get the following error:

Quote:>This product incorporates technology used under license from Fulcrum
>Technologies, Inc.
>Using </opt> as the package base directory.
>pkgadd: ERROR: Cannot find the default archive install script.

>Installation of <SUNWlicsw> failed (internal error).
>No changes were made to the system.

I get the same thing with the installation media.  I can install
packages from this CD mounted on another system (via NFS).  I am able to
use pkgadd with GNU packages that I download, so it doesn't look like
there is anything wrong with the pkgadd command.

Has anyone heard of this 'default archive install script'?  I can't find
reference to it anywhere in documentation or on the web.

Running Solaris 2.5.1 on an Ultra2.

Thanks ahead,

-Mike-
-System Administrator-
-TeleSynthesis, LLC-

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Jamie Dola » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

When typing it put a space in between the last pkgadd and path and it
should work.

OR

E-mail the group and CC me the command you are tring to type.

Jamie D.

--
Sincerely,

Jamie Dolan
PowerNet Online Services                        920-725-5015 Phone
304 Appleton St.                                920-725-4654 Fax
www.powernetonline.com                               Menasha, WI 54952

Need a new WPP?  We have Unix and MS Front Page! As of Aug 98!
PowerNet Online LLC. -- Fox Cities first 0C12 Connection!
Newsgroups & MISC:
Please send a copy of every message to:

!Sales People IN GROUPS & LISTS:!
Please Send Me E-mail or Faxes,
No Sales Calles From Newsgroup / LIST Postings Please.
I DO NOT ACCEPT SPAM. NO SPAM!

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Mike Wat » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The actual command that I am using:

pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from /cdrom/devpro_v5n1_sparc)

I was first trying to install using the install_tool from the CD and getting
similar installation failures, and decided to try it via the command line and
hopefully get a more directed error.

Thanks,

-Mike-

> When typing it put a space in between the last pkgadd and path and it
> should work.

> OR

> E-mail the group and CC me the command you are tring to type.

> Jamie D.

> > Well,  I've got a strange problem that I am struggling with:

> > I am unable to pkgadd packages from CD - I have tried both a Sun
> > Workshop CD and the original Solaris 2.5.1 installation CD.  When I try
> > to pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from Workshop CD) I get the following error:

> > >This product incorporates technology used under license from Fulcrum
> > >Technologies, Inc.
> > >Using </opt> as the package base directory.
> > >pkgadd: ERROR: Cannot find the default archive install script.

> > >Installation of <SUNWlicsw> failed (internal error).
> > >No changes were made to the system.

> > I get the same thing with the installation media.  I can install
> > packages from this CD mounted on another system (via NFS).  I am able to
> > use pkgadd with GNU packages that I download, so it doesn't look like
> > there is anything wrong with the pkgadd command.

> > Has anyone heard of this 'default archive install script'?  I can't find
> > reference to it anywhere in documentation or on the web.

> > Running Solaris 2.5.1 on an Ultra2.

> > Thanks ahead,

> > -Mike-
> > -System Administrator-
> > -TeleSynthesis, LLC-

> --
> Sincerely,

> Jamie Dolan
> PowerNet Online Services                        920-725-5015 Phone
> 304 Appleton St.                                920-725-4654 Fax
> www.powernetonline.com                          Menasha, WI 54952

> Need a new WPP?  We have Unix and MS Front Page! As of Aug 98!
> PowerNet Online LLC. -- Fox Cities first 0C12 Connection!
> Newsgroups & MISC:
> Please send a copy of every message to:

> !Sales People IN GROUPS & LISTS:!
> Please Send Me E-mail or Faxes,
> No Sales Calles From Newsgroup / LIST Postings Please.
> I DO NOT ACCEPT SPAM. NO SPAM!

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Joe Durusa » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Try the following:  if SUNWlicsw is a directory, use 'pwd' instead of .  Note
that the ' marks are left-pointing things (top right on a sun keyboard).
If SUNWlicsw is a normal file, leave out the .  and see what happens.

Good luck.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

> The actual command that I am using:

> pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from /cdrom/devpro_v5n1_sparc)

> I was first trying to install using the install_tool from the CD and getting
> similar installation failures, and decided to try it via the command line and
> hopefully get a more directed error.

> Thanks,

> -Mike-

> > When typing it put a space in between the last pkgadd and path and it
> > should work.

> > OR

> > E-mail the group and CC me the command you are tring to type.

> > Jamie D.

> > > Well,  I've got a strange problem that I am struggling with:

> > > I am unable to pkgadd packages from CD - I have tried both a Sun
> > > Workshop CD and the original Solaris 2.5.1 installation CD.  When I try
> > > to pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from Workshop CD) I get the following error:

> > > I get the same thing with the installation media.  I can install
> > > packages from this CD mounted on another system (via NFS).  I am able to
> > > use pkgadd with GNU packages that I download, so it doesn't look like
> > > there is anything wrong with the pkgadd command.

> > > Has anyone heard of this 'default archive install script'?  I can't find
> > > reference to it anywhere in documentation or on the web.

> > > Running Solaris 2.5.1 on an Ultra2.

> > > Thanks ahead,

> > > -Mike-
> > > -System Administrator-
> > > -TeleSynthesis, LLC-

> > --
> > Sincerely,

> > Jamie Dolan
> > PowerNet Online Services                        920-725-5015 Phone
> > 304 Appleton St.                                920-725-4654 Fax
> > www.powernetonline.com                          Menasha, WI 54952

> > Need a new WPP?  We have Unix and MS Front Page! As of Aug 98!
> > PowerNet Online LLC. -- Fox Cities first 0C12 Connection!
> > Newsgroups & MISC:
> > Please send a copy of every message to:

> > !Sales People IN GROUPS & LISTS:!
> > Please Send Me E-mail or Faxes,
> > No Sales Calles From Newsgroup / LIST Postings Please.
> > I DO NOT ACCEPT SPAM. NO SPAM!

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Mike Wat » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Doesn't seem to be a path problem - continue to get the same error no matter what I
do with the path.  The GUI tool does not work to install them either
(workshop_install or admintool).  Thanks for the idea.

-Mike-

> Try the following:  if SUNWlicsw is a directory, use 'pwd' instead of .  Note
> that the ' marks are left-pointing things (top right on a sun keyboard).
> If SUNWlicsw is a normal file, leave out the .  and see what happens.

> Good luck.

> Speaking only for myself,

> Joe Durusau

> > The actual command that I am using:

> > pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from /cdrom/devpro_v5n1_sparc)

> > I was first trying to install using the install_tool from the CD and getting
> > similar installation failures, and decided to try it via the command line and
> > hopefully get a more directed error.

> > Thanks,

> > -Mike-

> > > When typing it put a space in between the last pkgadd and path and it
> > > should work.

> > > OR

> > > E-mail the group and CC me the command you are tring to type.

> > > Jamie D.

> > > --
> > > Sincerely,

> > > Jamie Dolan
> > > PowerNet Online Services                        920-725-5015 Phone
> > > 304 Appleton St.                                920-725-4654 Fax
> > > www.powernetonline.com                          Menasha, WI 54952

> > > Need a new WPP?  We have Unix and MS Front Page! As of Aug 98!
> > > PowerNet Online LLC. -- Fox Cities first 0C12 Connection!
> > > Newsgroups & MISC:
> > > Please send a copy of every message to:

> > > !Sales People IN GROUPS & LISTS:!
> > > Please Send Me E-mail or Faxes,
> > > No Sales Calles From Newsgroup / LIST Postings Please.
> > > I DO NOT ACCEPT SPAM. NO SPAM!

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Virginia L. Bac » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have this problem everyonce in a while and I just usr
pkgadd -d ./*  for all pkgs or ./package_name

>Doesn't seem to be a path problem - continue to get the same error no
matter what I
>do with the path.  The GUI tool does not work to install them either
>(workshop_install or admintool).  Thanks for the idea.

>-Mike-

>> Try the following:  if SUNWlicsw is a directory, use 'pwd' instead of .
Note
>> that the ' marks are left-pointing things (top right on a sun keyboard).
>> If SUNWlicsw is a normal file, leave out the .  and see what happens.

>> Good luck.

>> Speaking only for myself,

>> Joe Durusau

>> > The actual command that I am using:

>> > pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from /cdrom/devpro_v5n1_sparc)

>> > I was first trying to install using the install_tool from the CD and
getting
>> > similar installation failures, and decided to try it via the command
line and
>> > hopefully get a more directed error.

>> > Thanks,

>> > -Mike-

error:

Fulcrum

Quote:>> > > Need a new WPP?  We have Unix and MS Front Page! As of Aug 98!

Quote:>> > > PowerNet Online LLC. -- Fox Cities first 0C12 Connection!

Pkgadd ERROR: "Cannot find the default archive install script."

Post by Julie Dickins » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Mike,

This has been working perfectly for everyone else since WorkShop 4.2
started shipping.  I just tried your pkgadd command "pkgadd -d .
SUNWlicsw" on my desktop and it worked like a charm.

I've never seen this error before, so I'll start by grasping at a
couple of straws.  Do you have any existing (previously installed)
SUNWlicsw package instances, and if so, what are the instance numbers
(ie, what is the output of "pkinfo | grep SUNWlicsw")?  Are any of
these instances partially installed?

Does this problem only happen with the SUNWlicsw package, or are you
having this problem with other packages on the WorkShop CD?

When you bring up workshop_install, what is listed in the pane on the
left-hand side of the window?

Please feel free to take this to email so we don't clog the newsgroups.

jules*inson
Sun WorkShop Licensing Support

> > The actual command that I am using:

> > pkgadd -d . SUNWlicsw (from /cdrom/devpro_v5n1_sparc)

> > I was first trying to install using the install_tool from the CD and getting
> > similar installation failures, and decided to try it via the command line and
> > hopefully get a more directed error.

> > Thanks,

> > -Mike-
> > -System Administrator-
> > -TeleSynthesis, LLC-

1. Install error on G3: "error unpacking archive: unknown error"

I am trying to install the LinuxPPC Release 4.1 CD on my Mac G3/233
desktop; this is one of the first models; it has 96MB RAM.  It has
built-in SCSI, and I have attached an external SCSI drive, where I'm
trying to install LinuxPPC.

I have successfully partitioned the drive, and I have gotten the installer
to run.  It asks me about the partitions, so it sees the drive ok. The
problem is that after specifying the packages to install, it emits the
error message:

   error unpacking archive: unknown error

and dies.  I have tried this several times and several ways.

The only reference to this error message that I could find in the archives

has something to do with not having a regular 50 pin SCSI drive.  But this
is precisely what I have, so I think that this problem has some other
cause.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Does anyone know *what* archive the message is talking about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
George Entenman

P.S. FYI, here is Richard Nagle's question:

2. kde 3.0.3 + fonts

3. "basedir=default" in default admin file for pkgadd

4. CDROM recognition failure in Debian 1.2

5. Error congiguring video card --"Cannot find server, cannot continue"

6. Help - process resource usage (output to files)

7. atomic read-write operations

9. "netstat -nr" should show "default" or "0.0.0.0"?

11. "Too Big" and "This Region cannot be used" msgs from install.

12. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"