PC Netlink Going away?

Post by Sta » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:56:40

Brief:
Can anyone who has used PC Netlink and a recent Samba version comment
on suitability for use on multiple WAN-connected sites? Anyone know of
any plans to discontinue the PC Netlink product?

Long and Boring:
I'm about to embark on a multi-site windows NT replacement project for
a small business.  There is no application requirement to use Windows
NT/2000 on the file server, and we don't want to run a firewall or VPN
software on NT so with a desire to keep client changes to a minimum,
non-MS SMB services are what we're looking at NOS-wise.  My perennial
favorite, FreeBSD on Intel and Solaris on Sparc being considered (IOW
not linux).

Although Intel bang-for-buck can't be beat nowadays, the
used-with-warranty (1 to 3 years) market for Ultras is pretty decent
and these machines have never let me down.  I can get a Balls-out
Ultra 10 for $500-750 any day of the week, and although it can't keep
up with a comparably priced machine from Dell's low-end server line,
its more than powerful enough to provide file/print for 10-15 users,
and firewall/VPN duty for their WAN connections.

With 5 sites, and an average of 10 users at each.  It seems a toss-up
between the two, however, Netlink, with its ability to be a BDC seems
to edge ahead when considering the flaky DSL we're dealing with (hate
having users not be able to get to a server five feet away becuase the
domain controller is on the other side of the WAN which is down).  I
would assume SAMBA folks have ways to sync passwords or something, but
without going to the extent of implementing LDAP or something similar,
is it not a hack?

So I'm leaning towards the Sun/Netlink solution, although its tough to
argue against cheap and easily serviced with SAMBA, which I'd do if I
thought it could be as reliable.

Any suggestions?

PC Netlink Going away?

Post by Alex Moor » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 05:25:22

> Brief:
> Can anyone who has used PC Netlink and a recent Samba version comment
> on suitability for use on multiple WAN-connected sites? Anyone know of
> any plans to discontinue the PC Netlink product?

>..snip

I use PC Netlink in a small environment and like it a lot.  I have read
of some massive deployments from Sun's marketing papers in very recent
years.  So I have no reason to think that it is going away.  I have tried
SAMBA and it worked OK too, but I removed it once I tried PC Netlink.

Alex Moore

PC Netlink Going away?

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:49:39

>> Brief:
>> Can anyone who has used PC Netlink and a recent Samba version comment
>> on suitability for use on multiple WAN-connected sites? Anyone know of
>> any plans to discontinue the PC Netlink product?

>>..snip

>I use PC Netlink in a small environment and like it a lot.  I have read

Sun now shippes sambas as a standard part of Solaris 9.
Samba is developed to support Active Directory (in version 3).
PC Netlink is not developed further?

So It would be a fair assumption that PC Netlink will go away eventually when
NT 4.0 server functionaliuty is not sufficient.

Also Samba is much better if serving files to UNIX/NT simultainiously
as ACL:s are stored in a sepate file (for each file), where as in samba
NT ACL:s are mapped onto UNIX ACL:s.

PC netlink: mature product with NT 4.0 functionality for windows only
environment.

Samba: Supports AD in version 3, better integration when serving
files for both NT/UNIX.

IMHO

/mvh
Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lundholm

1. Experience w/ PC-NFS vs. PC NetLink?

Hi, we're looking at using PC-NFS (used here generically) to give
Windows 98 PCs access to files stored on a Sun workstation and a Data
General MV/60000 running AOS/VS II (!) via NFS. The Sun must also access
the files on the DG. Then, our Sun rep suggested using PC NetLink,
described at:

  http://www.sun.com/interoperability/netlink/

I've never even heard of this product before and have only used PC-NFS
minimally. Does anybody have experience with these products enough to
give opinions? It looks to me like PC NetLink will be easier to
administrate but it concerns me because it looks to be version 1.0
software. Any comments or opinions greatly appreciated.

--
<>< gary

Gary Bisaga     Principal Network Applications Engineer     John 3:16-19
The MITRE Corporation   Center for Advanced Aviation Systems Development

2. Rainbow Series (orange book, etc)

3. printig with samba or pc netlink

4. FIPS 1.5 support for Win95 OSR2 FAT32 partition ???

5. Black magic of printing in PC NetLink

6. Made a mistake while patching ipfw...

7. PC Netlink

8. Newbie, looking for suggestions on proxy servers & internet access

9. pc-netlink

10. PC Netlink on Easy Access Server 3.0?

11. Printing with PC NetLink 1.2 and HP Jetadmin managed printers

12. PC Netlink

13. PC NetLink 1.2 processes die