Anyone use a PDA as a Serial Terminal (VT100) emulator on a Sun Box?

Anyone use a PDA as a Serial Terminal (VT100) emulator on a Sun Box?

Post by hfk » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 06:11:54

Hi,

I have a Sony Clie T615 palm-os based PDA.  During some recent Sun
training I was told that a palm-powered device, using terminal
emulation software, could be connected to a serial port on a Sun box
and then be used as a serial terminal (aka wyse terminal, vt100, etc).
I now have terminal emulation software on my Clie ("Online":
http://www.markspace.com/online.html ) but thought I'd check with the
group before proceeding.  Here are my questions:

Does anyone have a pinout of the Clie to Sun box cable?  I'd rather
build one than buy one.

What are the optimum nvram settings?  I assume that the the ttya/b
parameters apply, but what about screen-#columns/rows and
ansi-terminal.

Any other information is appreciated.

Thanks,

hfk

Post by Geoff Lan » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:11:43

> Does anyone have a pinout of the Clie to Sun box cable?  I'd rather
> build one than buy one.

http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/A-B-Ycablepinout.html

may be of use

Quote:> What are the optimum nvram settings?  I assume that the the ttya/b
> parameters apply, but what about screen-#columns/rows and
> ansi-terminal.

Leave everything at default until you get it working.  You may need a NULL
modem - it depends on the serial cable supplied with the PDA.  My PDA cable
was already wired as NULL modem and so worked immediately.

It's quite fun to reboot your enterprise server using a PDA :-)

--
/\ Geoff. Lane. /\ Manchester Computing /\ Manchester /\ M13 9PL /\ England /\

Minds, like parachutes, work only when open.

Anyone use a PDA as a Serial Terminal (VT100) emulator on a Sun Box?

Post by hfk » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:32:20

Geoff,

Quote:>http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/A-B-Ycablepinout.html

Great link, thanks.

Quote:>Leave everything at default until you get it working.  You may need a NULL
>modem - it depends on the serial cable supplied with the PDA.  My PDA cable
>was already wired as NULL modem and so worked immediately.

That's one of the things I'm wondering about...  In Sun training we
Tip Hardwired from one box to another using a Null modem cable.  I'm
not sure about the connection using a serial terminal..  I think the
specifics of the serial terminal connection are in my books but
they're not due back untill next week (had to ship them home from my
latest round of Sun training)

hfk

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:03:52

>Geoff,

>>http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/A-B-Ycablepinout.html

>Great link, thanks.

>>Leave everything at default until you get it working.  You may need a NULL
>>modem - it depends on the serial cable supplied with the PDA.  My PDA cable
>>was already wired as NULL modem and so worked immediately.

>That's one of the things I'm wondering about...  In Sun training we
>Tip Hardwired from one box to another using a Null modem cable.  I'm
>not sure about the connection using a serial terminal.

No difference.  The most important thing is the wiring of the cable
match the signal pins on the Sun end and on your PDA's end.  The
second most important thing is understanding that your PDA only
has the TxD (Transmit Data), RxD (Receive Data), and Ground pins.
No control signals.  This means you must tell your sun to ignore
its DCD pin because the cable doesn't supply that signal.  The
typical console serial port is the ttya port, so the open boot
prom setting is:

  setenv ttya-ignore-cd true

Then when you've logged in with your PDA, make sure the TERM
environment variable is set to the terminal type that corresponds
to the type used by your PDA's terminal program.  The most commonly
used setting is "vt100".

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

1. Free Unix terminal emulator for vt100 & wyse50 terminals on Windows OS

Hi,
I have developed an Unix terminal emulator for wyse50 & vt100
terminals on Windows OS. This emulator covers major functionalities of
both the terminals. You can download the same from,
http://fire.prohosting.com/mprabu/MP_Emulator.zip
Run setup.exe from the above zip.
Before running setup.exe, pls go through INSTALL.txt in the above zip,
and after running setup.exe, pls go through README.txt from
C:\Emulator_Exe folder.
All the features & limitations of the emulator are given in README
file.

Pls let me know your comments/bugs/enhancements on the same at

Note: The complete emulator has been writen in C++ using MFC for user
interface.

Thanks & Regards,
Prabagar

2. UNIX bench better on 2.2 than 2.4?

3. VT100 terminal emulators for PC's.

4. Free Software Distributions for Solaris: new mailing list

5. vt100 terminal emulator for solaris 2

6. Slackware 2.0.2 & AHA2742

7. using linux box as a terminal threw the serial port can this be done

8. XFce and xterm Console Problem

9. has anyone used a palmtop as a serial terminal?

10. Anyone using OSF/1 on their Sun box?

11. getting good curses box chars on sun and sun-cmd terminals

12. terminal is set to vt100 or sun5 - what is vt100 ?

13. VT100 Serial terminal on Debian / GNU Linux