Newsprint handler for calcomp printer

Post by Sarah Woo » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I have a calcomp CCL 400 R printer attached to a machine running
solaris 2.3, and Newsprint 2.1. The documentation for the printer
tells me I need to install a newsprint handler. The only version of
the hander s/w I have is  P/N 21112-0019 Rev 1 version 3.3.
Can anyone tell me if this handler will work with solaris 2.3, and
if not where I can get a version that does.

Many thanks in advance

Sarah Wood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Systems Programmer
Open University
England

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newsprint handler for calcomp printer

Post by Sarah Woo » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> I have a calcomp CCL 400 R printer attached to a machine running
> solaris 2.3, and Newsprint 2.1. The documentation for the printer
> tells me I need to install a newsprint handler. The only version of
> the hander s/w I have is  P/N 21112-0019 Rev 1 version 3.3.
> Can anyone tell me if this handler will work with solaris 2.3, and
> if not where I can get a version that does.

> Many thanks in advance

> Sarah Wood

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Systems Programmer
> Open University
> England

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oops, that should have been Newsprint 2.5 not 2.1

Sarah

1. Best quality from scanner to Calcomp under NeWSprint?

I am scanning photos with an HP 3c scanner, which I believe is 1200dpi.  The
photos are ~3"x3", and I am scaling them when I scan them to ~7.7"x7.7",
which gives about a 1100x1100 dots.  I do not understand why I am not getting
at least 3600x3600 dots, but am more concerned about how to get the best
output from what I have.

Next step:  I have a Calcomp thermal wax printer connected to a SPARC with a
parallel port and controlled with NeWSPrint 2.5?.  Either using xv2.21 or
the tiff.2ps that comes with NP to convert the image to PS, I end up with
quite a few dithering-looking marks.  Even funnier, it does not make any
difference in the quality of the output whether I am sending a 1.8M file
generated with xv from a 600x600 dot tiff, or a 3.8M file generated by xv
from the 1100x1100 dot file, or an 8M file generated from the 100x1100 dot
tiff with tiff2.ps.

I would like something that looks more continuous in color scale.

I also tried converting to ras, but that printed with some real weird color
artifacts.

I cannot seem to find a definitive list of the other graphics formats that
NeWSprint supports.  Are there others?

Any other hints?

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Web admin:  chimera,nn,tin,jove,kermit - free's best!/________/ /  /  / /

2. problem with fdformat

3. Handlers, Handlers, Handlers

4. apache mod_rewrite / [P] option

5. CalComp CCL600ES printer

6. newbie-ass-question

7. NeWSprint 2.5 ... adding a printer

8. General Protection, 28Mb RAM, GCC 2.7.2-nosrbug, XEmacs19.14

9. Help: printer setup & NeWSprint software for Solaris 2

10. SPARC printer w/o NEWSprint?

11. Newsprint 2.5 printer problems

12. PostScript -> NeWSprint ->PCL -> RM printer?

13. Threads performance - allow signal handler to not call handler