Installing NT on SunPCi, please help

Installing NT on SunPCi, please help

Post by umask0 » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Hello there,

A million apologies if I am missing something obvious.
I have a Sparc Ultra 10 with a 400MHz SunPCi card in it.
The Ultra is running Solaris 8.  I just downloaded and
installed SunPCi software v1.2.1.  It was a fresh
install -- I've never had the software before.  The
DOS session works fine, both in a window and with an
external monitor.

Now I'd like to install Windows NT on the SunPCi.  The
documentation that I have (both printed and downloaded)
seems to only describe how to install Windows 95 and 98
but not NT.

I have an NT Server 4.0 CD-ROM.  The only way I know of
to install it is to boot from it.  I've tried changing
SunPCi's BIOS settings to boot from "CDROM,C,A" but that
didn't help.  I tried the "setupnt.exe" binary from the
SunPCi's drivers/winnt/ directory but it returned "Error:
incorrect CD mounted" and complained about the dosnet.inf
on the CD-ROM (trying to use setupnt.exe was just a guess.)

My main questions on this topic are:

        1. What is the _right_ way to go about installing
        NT on a SunPCi?
        2. Can I create a bootable "NT installation"
        diskette and then boot from it, a-la Linux?
        3. Are there any specific versions of NT that
        will/will not work on SunPCi? (i.e. what
        version/type do I need -- server, workstation etc.)?

All input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Sergey


 
 
 

Installing NT on SunPCi, please help

Post by Adolfo J. Tinoc » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> Hello there,

> A million apologies if I am missing something obvious.
> I have a Sparc Ultra 10 with a 400MHz SunPCi card in it.
> The Ultra is running Solaris 8.  I just downloaded and
> installed SunPCi software v1.2.1.  It was a fresh
> install -- I've never had the software before.  The
> DOS session works fine, both in a window and with an
> external monitor.

> Now I'd like to install Windows NT on the SunPCi.  The
> documentation that I have (both printed and downloaded)
> seems to only describe how to install Windows 95 and 98
> but not NT.

> I have an NT Server 4.0 CD-ROM.  The only way I know of
> to install it is to boot from it.  I've tried changing
> SunPCi's BIOS settings to boot from "CDROM,C,A" but that
> didn't help.  I tried the "setupnt.exe" binary from the
> SunPCi's drivers/winnt/ directory but it returned "Error:
> incorrect CD mounted" and complained about the dosnet.inf
> on the CD-ROM (trying to use setupnt.exe was just a guess.)

> My main questions on this topic are:

>         1. What is the _right_ way to go about installing
>         NT on a SunPCi?
>         2. Can I create a bootable "NT installation"
>         diskette and then boot from it, a-la Linux?

I don't know about installing NT on a Sun but you  can create
installation diskettes by inserting the CD into a Win95 or WinNT PC and
running cdromdriveletter\i386\winnt32 /ox -or-
cdromdriveletter\i386\winnt /ox.

- Show quoted text -

>         3. Are there any specific versions of NT that
>         will/will not work on SunPCi? (i.e. what
>         version/type do I need -- server, workstation etc.)?

> All input will be highly appreciated.

> Thanks for your time,
> Sergey




 
 
 

Installing NT on SunPCi, please help

Post by FooBa » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00




> > Hello there,

> > A million apologies if I am missing something obvious.
> > I have a Sparc Ultra 10 with a 400MHz SunPCi card in it.
> > The Ultra is running Solaris 8.  I just downloaded and
> > installed SunPCi software v1.2.1.  It was a fresh
> > install -- I've never had the software before.  The
> > DOS session works fine, both in a window and with an
> > external monitor.

> > Now I'd like to install Windows NT on the SunPCi.  The
> > documentation that I have (both printed and downloaded)
> > seems to only describe how to install Windows 95 and 98
> > but not NT.

> > I have an NT Server 4.0 CD-ROM.  The only way I know of
> > to install it is to boot from it.  I've tried changing
> > SunPCi's BIOS settings to boot from "CDROM,C,A" but that
> > didn't help.  I tried the "setupnt.exe" binary from the
> > SunPCi's drivers/winnt/ directory but it returned "Error:
> > incorrect CD mounted" and complained about the dosnet.inf
> > on the CD-ROM (trying to use setupnt.exe was just a guess.)

> > My main questions on this topic are:

> >         1. What is the _right_ way to go about installing
> >         NT on a SunPCi?

I downloaded the document "SunPCi 1.1 User's Guide" from Sun website which
has the procedure tells you how to install NT, you may want to get it too.
The first step to install NT is:
c:\> f:\drivers\winnt\setupnt

I had no problem to install NT by following the procedure.

Good Luck,

C.

- Show quoted text -

> >         2. Can I create a bootable "NT installation"
> >         diskette and then boot from it, a-la Linux?

> I don't know about installing NT on a Sun but you  can create
> installation diskettes by inserting the CD into a Win95 or WinNT PC and
> running cdromdriveletter\i386\winnt32 /ox -or-
> cdromdriveletter\i386\winnt /ox.

> >         3. Are there any specific versions of NT that
> >         will/will not work on SunPCi? (i.e. what
> >         version/type do I need -- server, workstation etc.)?

> > All input will be highly appreciated.

> > Thanks for your time,
> > Sergey



 
 
 

Installing NT on SunPCi, please help

Post by umask0 » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00



[snip]

Quote:>> > My main questions on this topic are:

>> >         1. What is the _right_ way to go about installing
>> >         NT on a SunPCi?
>I downloaded the document "SunPCi 1.1 User's Guide" from Sun website which
>has the procedure tells you how to install NT, you may want to get it too.
>The first step to install NT is:
>c:\> f:\drivers\winnt\setupnt
>I had no problem to install NT by following the procedure.
>Good Luck,
>C.

Thanks a lot and sincerest apologies -- it was a typical case of RTFM
on my part.  The answers I was looking for were right there, in the
Answerbook that came on the SunPCi CD.  Since I downloaded SunPCi 1.2.1
from Sun's web site I didn't use the CD right away . . .

I dutifully canceled my original posting and hope it won't be showing
up to my embarrassment.  NT works OK (sort of -- it hangs once in a
while, but I can live with it :)

Thanks again,
Sergey.

[snip]


 
 
 

1. Please Be Gentle: Anyone install Linux, NT Workstation, & NT Server on one box?

Please be kind to me for even mentioning those other two OS's.

I am trying to setup Linux on a box that dual boots already into NT
workstation and NT Server. Both of those systems are fairly new and I
have any and all software that I need to reload on MO Drive so I don't
mind fdisk'ing the whole thing and starting from scratch.

     Has anyone ever tried to do this and if so with what degree of
success? I would get rid of the NT OS's except for the fact that I
need to keep up as my "lab" so I don't screw things up home before at
the office. Besides, it gives me a great excuse to get away from the
wife and go play on the computers sometimes! *Thank god she doesn't
know how to get to News!*

you can either reply via email (prefferred) by removing the "NoSpam"
form my addy or post in newsgroup.  Thank you in advance!

Johnny Davis

Account Executive
Financial Benefit Services
"THE EMPLOYEE BENEFIT SPECIALISTS!!!"

2. How to tar and/or compress a remote directory...

3. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

4. How to let Tivo talk NTP over PPP through RedHat ipchains-based firewall?

5. HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

6. xircom ce2-10-bt pcmcia network adaptor detected and work

7. Ultra 30, SUNPCI card (amd400mhz) Solaris 8 and SUNPCI 1.3

8. Install Siig Serial Card Redhat 9 probs

9. Help With Install Please HELP HELP HELP

10. SunPCI..NT will only start in VGA mode

11. MS Word running in NT on SunPCi

12. U10 + Sol7 + SunPCi + NT4(SP5) + 1.1.1 Sun/NT drivers =buggyNetBEUI

13. SUNpci card and Windows NT Server