VLB vs. soundcard SCSI controllers (Solaris x86 compatibility)

VLB vs. soundcard SCSI controllers (Solaris x86 compatibility)

Post by Alan Walendows » Sun, 25 Jul 1993 02:11:12

Greetings, folks.  Any input you might have is much appreciated.
Here's my situation:

 486DX266 w/VLB, 16M memory, 250MB IDE drive, Genoa SVGA (on the VLB),
 and a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 soundcard (with a SCSI controller built-in).

 I just ordered Solaris2.1, and will need to purchase a CD-ROM drive
 to install it.  I looked through the current HW compatibility list,
 and Sun says they've only tested ISA SCSI controllers. Since I've got
 a slot free on my Vesa local bus, I'd prefer to pick up a VLB SCSI
 controller.  Another alternative would be to try to load the OS
 via the (untested) SCSI controller on my soundcard...

 So, my questions are:

 Does anyone know if Solaris will support a VLB SCSI controller?
 If so, which ones?

 Does anyone know if I can use the SCSI controller on my soundcard
 to (at least) load the software from the Solaris CDs?

 Got any other ideas?

   Thanks, -Walendo

--

    "They're taking all the fun out of *." - Carl Hiaasen

VLB vs. soundcard SCSI controllers (Solaris x86 compatibility)

Post by Ed Whittemo » Tue, 27 Jul 1993 10:11:17

Quote:

>Greetings, folks.  Any input you might have is much appreciated.
>Here's my situation:

> 486DX266 w/VLB, 16M memory, 250MB IDE drive, Genoa SVGA (on the VLB),
> and a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 soundcard (with a SCSI controller built-in).

> I just ordered Solaris2.1, and will need to purchase a CD-ROM drive
> to install it.  I looked through the current HW compatibility list,
> and Sun says they've only tested ISA SCSI controllers. Since I've got
> a slot free on my Vesa local bus, I'd prefer to pick up a VLB SCSI
> controller.  Another alternative would be to try to load the OS
> via the (untested) SCSI controller on my soundcard...

> So, my questions are:

> Does anyone know if Solaris will support a VLB SCSI controller?
> If so, which ones?

> Does anyone know if I can use the SCSI controller on my soundcard
> to (at least) load the software from the Solaris CDs?

> Got any other ideas?

>   Thanks, -Walendo

There are some misconceptions here about supported hardware:

Your sound card is not supported--only the Creative Labs SoundBlaster
Pro is.

SunSoft only support 2 brands of host adapters at this point Adaptec and
DPT, but both ISA and EISA are supported. We've been thru this in other
newgroups, but the fact is VLB SCSI host adapters are a waste of time;
anyway neither DPT or Adaptec have one. I hope your machine is an
EISA machine.

Both your SCSI controller and your sound card are useless for Solaris
x86.

Since you need a SCSI CD-ROM to load the OS, and since IDE is a poorer
interface than SCSI for a multitasking OS, you might as well have
SCSI drives as well.
--

American Micro Group, Inc.   201-944-3293

1. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

We are trying to come up with a division-wide standard for workstations
(a mix of engineering applications as well as office-productivity apps).
We realize that we will always need high-end UNIX workstations for
visualization, CFD, CAE, etc....this standard is for the middle-of-the
road requirements.  The choice has boiled down to that specified in
the subject line.

Can anybody point me to web pages, ftp-sites, etc where I can find
info  (honest-to-god evaluations, opinions, reports, benchmark results)
on the above subject?

If you have experiences (maybe opinions as well) please let me know.  This
has the potential of quickly degenerating into a long UNIX-machine vs PC
battle (I'm a long time Sun fan)....BUT I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON ISSUES LIKE
performance, capability, drawbacks, cost. etc.

Thanks,
Shash

| (817) 763-1495               Electronic Systems Design and Integration   |
| (817) 777-2115 (FAX)         Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems   |
|                              Lockheed Martin Boulevard, MZ 2273          |
|                              Fort Worth, TX 76108                        |

2. Gates reference in sf story.

3. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

4. VPN; linux router, private IPs & many users..

5. ?Solaris x86 and VLB SCSI

6. fsck can not fix root filesystem

7. Which VLB SCSI card for Solaris 2.4 X86?

8. Redirect to new Secure Server?

9. ATA DMA and SCSI compatibility for Solaris x86

10. Normal SCSI Vs. VLB SCSI?

11. VLB SCSI VS ISA SCSI questions...

12. Swap SCSI controller on Solaris 2.6 x86