Solaris 7 performance...

Post by Jonathan Robso » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Sun sparc 20 with 2 50mhz processors, 64 megs of memory and 2 gigs
of hard disk space. It is currently running Solaris 5.1. Does anyone know
what sort of performance degradation I should expect by upgrading this
machine to Solaris 7. Any suggestions for boosting performance would be
greatly appreciated also.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan

Solaris 7 performance...

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I have a Sun sparc 20 with 2 50mhz processors, 64 megs of memory and 2 gigs
>of hard disk space. It is currently running Solaris 5.1. Does anyone know
>what sort of performance degradation I should expect by upgrading this
>machine to Solaris 7. Any suggestions for boosting performance would be
>greatly appreciated also.

Solaris 5.1?  That doesn't exist.

Do you mean SunOS 5.1 (a/k/a Solaris 2.1) or SunOS 5.5.1 (a/k/a Solaris
2.5.1), perhaps?  (What does "uname -sr" return?)

Anyway, upgrading to Solaris 7 (or 8) might not be that bad an idea.
The biggest problem you'll have will be memory.  64 MB is enough to get
by, but it might be a little tight.  With plenty of memory, I'd guess
the performance of Solaris 7 is probably better than Solaris 2.1 and
about equal to Solaris 2.5.1.

In fact, I believe Solaris 8 uses more memory, but it also manages it
better so that I (at least) experience better performance, so you might
even consider Solaris 8.

  - Logan